IGNORED

FTP To Original Xbox?

Tempest

XBMC4Gamers is a great choice for a dash for the OG Xbox. It's still in development by Rocky5. He also goes by JCRocky5, and is likely the author of the same softmod you just installed on your OG. He has a YouTube channel demoing how his stuff works and how to get it up and running. Link below. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/user/JCRocky5/videos

I was quickly scanning this. Boy does it bring back memories (sad when something like this was back in the day...I feel so darned old).

Glad to see you got it working. There is still a lot you can fiddle with. Aside from playing games on emulators, I used a setup like this to play PAL discs from region 2 (mostly Doctor Who). 

Edited by cybercylon

I was able to install games to the hard drive, but some refuse to work no matter what.  Conker, SNK vs Capcom 2 EO, Star Wars Battlefront I&II among others.  I wonder if some games just can't be run from the HD for whatever reason.  The rest seem to work ok, but I haven't been able to test them thoroughly.  I found some that work but have freezing issues (such as the Taito Legends).

I'd say they're bad rips but the place I got them from is good about this sort of thing.  Plus I tried them both as iso files I extracted myself and as already extracted 'Hard Drive ready' files.  Like I said, most worked but some had issues.  Maybe there's an issue with the settings on FileZilla munging a file or two?

Anything is possible, but I've found the Xbox is maybe the most robust disc-based system I've ever encountered, as it's basically a PC.  Star Wars Battlefront I have on my system, and it definitely runs for me.  Unfortunately disc-based ISO's are difficult to get as it is, let alone figuring out what's a good or bad dump.

On 1/15/2020 at 10:47 AM, blainelocklair said:

XBMC4Gamers is a great choice for a dash for the OG Xbox. It's still in development by Rocky5. He also goes by JCRocky5, and is likely the author of the same softmod you just installed on your OG. He has a YouTube channel demoing how his stuff works and how to get it up and running. Link below. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/user/JCRocky5/videos

@Tempest

Rocky5 also made something called XBMC-Emustation which is a modified XBMC to work similar to Emustation.  It's nice in that you can have all the console systems in one easy to use menu system.  Using a well known interface.  Also you would have the advantage of using updated emulator cores unlike the ones that come with coinops which are dated.  Also a guy named gamezfan ( now know as arcadez ) has been just released something called mameoxtras 2020 which has numerous fixes and additions to arcade based games.  Or if your willing to check out an "in-progress" emulator a guy named "Marty" is working on an open gl based version of pcsxbox ( PCSX-ReloadedX ) which is rather nice and speedy considering it is still a WIP.  Just run over to www.emuxtras.net and check it out!

7 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

Maybe a problem with extraction or some other processing on your end? I seem to recall they were sensitive about renaming and character length. Make sure they are unzipped or unRAR'ed properly, and they aren't named wrong like game name.iso.iso or something?

That could be.  I'm using Linux to do this.  Let me try windows.

Well I found another image for GTA San Andreas and that one worked.  Maybe the ones I can't get to work like Conker and SNK vs Capcom are just the same bad dumps over and over again?  I've kind of exhausted the various sites I can find so I guess I'll have to do without. :)

2 hours ago, Greg2600 said:

Was the working dump larger?

I have no idea, I didn't check.  The original dump I had hung after the initial title screen.  Lots of games seem to work up to the title screen then die.  Conker for example show the title screen for about a second then goes black, then shows it again for a second and goes black and keeps repeating like that.  

The only reason I ask is that it's possible that the problem ISO's were ones where they stripped something out.  Many games on disc back then (far more in the CD era) had disc padding, essentially to meet formats.  Often people stripped the excess out to shrink the ISO size, without problems when run on mod-chipped systems and burned discs.  Also not an issue on emulators.  However, usually they will cause problems on OEM hardware like this.  That's one of the reasons for the ReDump project for the old disc-based systems.  Those are 1 to 1 dumps, so as to minimize compatibility issues on real hardware.  The days of burning discs are largely over.  I tell my friends all the time, the hardest task is finding good dumps these days!

Edited by Greg2600

Disc images online are the wild west. I've find they work probably 65% of the time.

You may also need to clear your xbox cache from time to time when loading from HDD. Do this if you get hang ups on loads or something similar to "failed to load maps" errors

This is the Unleashed Skin I use. It's made to mimic the original dash, but still allows you to use custom icons as you'll see with Halo 2 pic. I have nostalgia for that original green look. 

STLK1o9.jpg

7kRc9pf.jpg

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Are the Redump images available somewhere?

Usenet is usually my first go-to for games, but for Xbox which are usually ISOs (as opposed to entire romsets for snes, 2600, etc.) it might get a little spotty these days. It's just been a while.

Else if you're fine with torrents I can invite you to a site that has some. Just fire me PM with your email.