IGNORED

Request for N64 subforum

bluejay

5 hours ago, atari2600land said:

The Channel F thread is bigger. Just saying.

But it's not as popular nor is it better known. Ask anyone you meet in the streets today "Do you know what the Fairchild Channel F is?" Then, ask them, do you know what a Nintendo 64 is?" They will most likely answer, "No," then "Yes."

4 hours ago, bluejay said:

But it's not as popular nor is it better known. Ask anyone you meet in the streets today "Do you know what the Fairchild Channel F is?" Then, ask them, do you know what a Nintendo 64 is?" They will most likely answer, "No," then "Yes."

This whole forum is dedicated to Atari. There are other systems from that time frame that also have sub forums and there is the modern gaming section as well. As I mentioned before, there are already many other forums that cater specifically to Nintendo and all of it's machines. If the N64 offerings here on AtariAge are not what you are looking for, I suggest spending time on another forum where the N64 is more of a focus. 

I'm just another member with no authority and can't speak for Albert or his team of moderators, but I do know that forum subdivisions aren't popularity contest.

They're based on traffic and when there's very little of it, there's no reason to do this. Furthermore, relegating it to a little used sub-forum instead of the more visible thread we have ongoing these days in the general classic gaming area would diminish that activity even further. 

As a N64 fan, I think it would be unfortunate and entirely counterproductive to what you're hoping to accomplish if N64 discussion was banished to a back corner of AtariAge instead of the much more visible location it occurs in at the present.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Atariboy said:

I'm just another member with no authority and can't speak for Albert or his team of moderators, but I do know that forum subdivisions aren't popularity contest.

They're based on traffic and when there's very little of it, there's no reason to do this. Furthermore, relegating it to a little used sub-forum instead of the more visible thread we have ongoing these days in the general classic gaming area would diminish that activity even further. 

As a N64 fan, I think it would be unfortunate and entirely counterproductive to what you're hoping to accomplish if N64 discussion was banished to a back corner of AtariAge instead of the much more visible location it occurs in at the present.

Exactly.

24 years on, is N64 considered classic or modern?

I like N64 but I feel that over sub-dividing the forum, especially super mainstream stuff like that, isn't healthy unless there's a crap-ton of discussion about it. 

A dedicated thread with 250 posts in it sounds like a perfect place for discussion. Just like the NeoGeo thread that is super excited about NG specific stuff. 

I was a big fan of IGN64 way back when so generally speaking, I'd follow any N64 related stuff on a dedicated thread, even if it didn't get its own sub forum. 

• Like 3

In particular, I believe that subforums are created for formats that have little or no following elsewhere on the Internet, but significantly enough to yield more than one single discussion thread. For instance on the classic computing scene subforums were created for Apple II because it almost doesn't exist elsewhere except for very hardware oriented discussions, and subforums were created for the Commodores because the existing ones were thought to be very Euro-centric while the majority of the AA audience is America-centric.

As you may have noticed, none of the Nintendo formats have their own subforums here on AtariAge except for specific High Score Contests.

The addition of modern gaming in general probably was due to there was no other place other than strictly off-topic to discuss them, and as the number of new systems grow, new sections are added for convenience even though those certainly have following elsewhere as well.