IGNORED

using a retro console as the basis for an arcade cabinet

jd_1138

I want to build an arcade cabinet -- cocktail or mini bar top.  I was thinking of perhaps using a classic console like an SNES and putting in a arcade game compilation in it like Williams Arcade Greatest Hits.  I'd like to wire in a real joystick and buttons.  Are there any arcade style controls that will plug directly into the game pad port of a console?  Also it'd be cool to have a power button that's wired into the main power switch.

So it'll work like this -- hit the power switch and this screen will pop up like this.  On the marquee on the cabinet I want to put the SNES logo since it's being powered by an SNES.     

maxresdefault.jpg

Obviously there were a few "arcade style" sticks made for the SNES that will plug right in.  From memory, the ASCIIware Super Advantage and the Capcom Power Stick Fighter.  Understand that while these are "arcade style" sticks, they are by no means legitimate arcade quality components.  There are also currently probably a few arcade quality sticks made for PCs using Mame or the likes, with a USB connector.  If somebody makes a USB to SNES adapter, then you'd be all set.  Or lastly you could just build your own like I did...:

tDSx5C.png

Then you can play Robotron: 2084 with twin sticks as its supposed to be played.  

For the power button, if you simply leave the SNES's power switch on, and wire an of/off switch with the proper voltage/current handling, you could cycle the incoming A/C power as needed, from wherever you can install the switch.  

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 6:44 PM, mr_me said:

You should be able to take a snes controller apart and use its parts as an encoder for any arcade button/joystick switch.

^^ this is a great home hack DIY solution for the tinkerer type.  You're probably going to need some soldering skills to execute this. 

... and I was trying to resist the urge to be "Captain Obvious" here, but somebody really needs to say it: you could save yourself a bunch of time and possible frustration by simply running your mini cabinet on a Raspberry Pi or maybe a small laptop or tablet that you're no longer using.  This would make the controller very straightforward to build and interface to the hardware.  If you really want to play the SNES versions of the games, you can still do that, but you can also play the real ones, and literally thousands of others.  Seems like much more bang-for-your-buck. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cynicaster said:

^^ this is a great home hack DIY solution for the tinkerer type.  You're probably going to need some soldering skills to execute this. 

... and I was trying to resist the urge to be "Captain Obvious" here, but somebody really needs to say it: you could save yourself a bunch of time and possible frustration by simply running your mini cabinet on a Raspberry Pi or maybe a small laptop or tablet that you're no longer using.  This would make the controller very straightforward to build and interface to the hardware.  If you really want to play the SNES versions of the games, you can still do that, but you can also play the real ones, and literally thousands of others.  Seems like much more bang-for-your-buck. 

Good advice.  I kinda wanted a solution that would be seamless as in turn on the power switch and the game selection menu would pop up, and the user selects a game with the joystick and start playing.  Would the Raspberry Pi/laptop have a mode where it's like an actual arcade game?  I don't want the user to have to open up a menu on a desktop OS and select a game.

I should say that this is not for me.  It will be a gift for my brother.  He and his fiancee are buying a house (were in an apartment), and I wanted to build an arcade game (probably bar top).  So just a small cabinet with the SNES inside.  They won't notice/care if it differs from the arcade version -- if it's a port onto SNES.  Reason why I chose SNES is because it's cartridge based and would be seamless.

I figured I'd solder in a power switch into the SNES, so a button on the cabinet would turn it on and let the magic began.  I guess I could eliminate having to take the SNES apart if I installed a mechanical switch.  lol.  Just have a switch on outside of cabinet, and when you press it the arm turns on the power switch.

Also, I'd keep a few of the arcade compilation cartridges inside the case for easy swapping out -- Williams, Atari, Bally, etc..  The Atari one has Missile Command, Asteroids, etc..

2 hours ago, jd_1138 said:

Good advice.  I kinda wanted a solution that would be seamless as in turn on the power switch and the game selection menu would pop up, and the user selects a game with the joystick and start playing.  Would the Raspberry Pi/laptop have a mode where it's like an actual arcade game?  I don't want the user to have to open up a menu on a desktop OS and select a game.

There are ways of making it quite seamless, yes.  I have a small MAME setup that is based on RetroPie and it boots right into a game selection menu when you power it up. 

My main MAME cabinet runs an old Windows 7 PC, but I've got it set up to boot straight into a front end upon power up. 

In both cases, it takes a few seconds to go through the boot up sequence, but the only thing the user needs to do is press the power button to turn it on, wait a few seconds, then off you go.  No need to use a keyboard or mouse, no need to double click anything to start software, etc.  Everything is navigated using an arcade joystick and buttons - including exiting a game to go back to the game list.

I'd strongly urge you to consider this sort of setup.  Unless you're one of those people who has an aversion to emulation, there is absolutely no downside to it, only upside.  It's dead simple to interface computers to modern displays (HDMI, VGA, whatever), it's dead simple to wire up custom controls, the emulation is very accurate, the form factor is small, power consumption is tiny (with a Pi, anyway), there is very little tinkering to "adapt" the hardware to the application, the game list can be as long or as "curated" as you like, it's easy to change at any time, you can create all kinds of custom themes for your menus, etc. 

A MiSTer setup is pretty seamless. You can make it boot directly into one console or arcade game core if you want. Or organize a few select cores so it shows as a menu on startup.

I've done this for my mini portable arcade box,  pictured below:

20190505_190001_resize_36.thumb.jpg.b8266b9c91e086cf5b160b19bd49a5b3.jpg

Edited by Newsdee
  • Like 1

Unless you're one of those people who has an aversion to emulation, there is absolutely no downside to it, only upside. 

...Or unless you really like the classic console versions of arcade games and want something unique like that.  It'd be an interesting project if you're into that kind of thing.

• Like 1

There used to be ads for this kind of thing in old gaming mags, and I was always insanely jealous of them. You'd buy, essentially, a kit to build an arcade cabinet, supply a 19" TV and a Nintendo or whatever, and presto! Instant arcade.

At any rate, these days, if you're going to go to the trouble to do this, a MAME set up as already mentioned countless times is probably gonna be the best bang for your buck.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, dj_convoy said:

There used to be ads for this kind of thing in old gaming mags, and I was always insanely jealous of them. You'd buy, essentially, a kit to build an arcade cabinet, supply a 19" TV and a Nintendo or whatever, and presto! Instant arcade.

Yup! I thought this was so cool. But it was one of those things where you know, if they don't come right out and say what the price is, it's gonna be way outta reach for the average kid!

1989_cab.jpg

• Like 6