IGNORED

Is Distella 3.x gone?

Propane13

Hello!

Back in the day, I contributed a commit for Distella 3.0 which allowed it to disassemble Atari 7800 games.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the source code for it anywhere.  Does it have a current home?

I found that someone has version 2.10 (https://github.com/dniku/distella), but the changes that went into 3.0 are missing.

Any ideas?

Also, since I haven't found it, I'm guessing there are current alternative disassemblers that are preferred?

Thanks!

For the sake of posterity?

The below link would be the latest though...

Differences from version 3.01b:
 Bugs fixed:
   -Crash when ABS_INDIRECT was encountered in some ROMs.
   -Labels were incorrectly wrapped 2600 style on 7800 ROMs, at 0x0fff.

Differences from version 3.00:

Bugs fixed:
   - Crash in Linux/OSX when launching without a ROM file.
   - Compile errors in Linux/OSX from a stray illegal character in
     queue.c, and uppercase/lowercase filenames.
   - Crash under certain circumstances when processing RELATIVE addressing.

This release includes builds for Linux, OSX and Windows, which should
 run on 32-bit and 64-bit machines.

Also included is a cross-platform Makefile (using gcc/make).

?

• Like 1

@Trebor thanks!

Since my OS has changed away from Windows, these bugfixes will be helpful.

I had a segfault error that appears to be fixed in these future versions, so this is definitely appreciated.

Also, I find it very amusing that I posted the 3.0 source years ago.  Thanks for finding that. ?

• Like 1

Hey folks,

I was thinking about it, and I thought it might make sense to collect all of these versions, re-organize the history of releases (and their binaries), and then host the result on github.  So, I spent a little time and have done that: https://github.com/johnkharvey/distella

While Distella may not be very frequently used anymore, I think it's important to have the history captured all in one place, but also to allow a way for modern collaboration and development if desired.  With the availability of modern tools such as Docker, I may look into borrowing some of DASM's builder code to see if we can do something similar for Distella (e.g. make a system where binaries could be auto-generated through CI).

I'm not sure if anyone really cares about this, but I thought I'd share.  The fact that most of the web searches for Distella return 2.10 as the "latest" is a bit wrong; hopefully, at a minimum, this could starts to correct that problem.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, the code is out there and it is open for collaboration if desired.

• Like 4

• 4 months later...
On 1/14/2020 at 9:44 AM, Propane13 said:

Hey folks,

I was thinking about it, and I thought it might make sense to collect all of these versions, re-organize the history of releases (and their binaries), and then host the result on github.  So, I spent a little time and have done that: https://github.com/johnkharvey/distella

While Distella may not be very frequently used anymore, I think it's important to have the history captured all in one place, but also to allow a way for modern collaboration and development if desired.  With the availability of modern tools such as Docker, I may look into borrowing some of DASM's builder code to see if we can do something similar for Distella (e.g. make a system where binaries could be auto-generated through CI).

I'm not sure if anyone really cares about this, but I thought I'd share.  The fact that most of the web searches for Distella return 2.10 as the "latest" is a bit wrong; hopefully, at a minimum, this could starts to correct that problem.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, the code is out there and it is open for collaboration if desired.

Thanks for this !

I was trying to run distella in windows 7.

• Like 1