IGNORED

Gravity Escape

xxl

Quoting a reply XXL gave me in the topic Gravity Snake:

" I asked you, give me an example of my program which intentionally does not work on VBXE, Rapidus or U1MB - with an example. If you don't do it, you are simply a slanderer. "

Looks like XXL is giving examples himself and we are both slanderers...   ;-)

• Like 2

you still slander. I do not use addresses taken by U1mb if it does not work on this equipment, there is a bug in this modification.

I've already told you, you don't like it, don't use it.

Here is quotation of Candle (still unanswered)...

U1MB makes use of addresses from D380 to D3FF, even if only few registers are defined in current specification, rest is RESERVED FOR FUTURE USE, and should be treated as such

PORTB and PIA chip is not mapped into this address space at all

xxl deliberatly makes use of that reserved address space excluding group of 3000+ atari computers (as i was told) to run his software - bravo

just keep in mind this is also the case with Incognito equipped machines

there is limited address space inside atari, and having to waste 256 bytes of space just to map hardware that has 4 locations is wastefull, but understandable from the point of original designers - full address decoder costs, per unit, and every penny counts

U1MB reuses that wasted space - in current implementation only partially, but i rather have some space to grow, than squeeze it in the beggining and worry later how to add something new like DMA or whatever i would come with

the game uses compressed executable? really? what for? to load slower?

19 minutes ago, ilmenit said:

Still you are aware of this bug and on purpose writing software not to work on this hardware...?

unfortunately, by modifying the hardware sometimes you compromise, replacing the CPU with e.g. CMOS versions you lose some compatibility, I know that such CPU will not execute my code but it does not mean that I am writing in such a way that it does not run on the modified atari.

here it is similar, I'm not interested in whether the bug will be corrected in this modification or not. and I despise people who, instead of working on improving functionality, do everything to make errors the rule of operation of the newly created equipment

?

20 minutes ago, xxl said:

I'm not interested in whether the bug will be corrected in this modification or not.

xxl is just interested in using U1MB characteristic as a loophole to its disadvantage, funny how he says he's not interested, yet puts his effort to limit user-base according to his agenda, while 99.9% of software from the era doesn't have any problem to run on U1MB or Incognito ?

That's the progress! ?

Edited by Jacques
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Stephen said:

Probably booby trapped against that non-custom CPU you have in your machine.

Yeah. It was a stock chip for a while made by WDC. This is a CPU that plays by the rules AND has MANY more instructions you can use.

Let's keep things compatible.

Why are they so full of HATE that they discriminate against a NATURAL upgrade?

These people are afraid of progress.

That's OK. We got this. Watch what happens (worldwide).

:)

5 hours ago, Kyle22 said:

Why are they so full of HATE that they discriminate against a NATURAL upgrade?

These people are afraid of progress.

That's OK. We got this. Watch what happens (worldwide).

Well, we are on "retro" forum talking about 30 years old hardware... ;-) Lets change the CPU, GFX chips, sound chip, storage, keyboard, joystick and maybe even motherboard to a modern replacement! Why stopping here, we shouldn't be afraid of progress and upgrade these old devices by switching them to modern PCs with NVIDIA RTX ?

Personally I don't understand XXL's crusade by on purpose making stuff not working on specific hardware modifications, when he has knowledge how to make it working and when e.g. use of undocumented opcodes or different PORTB addresses are not justified by actual needs (e.g. noticeable performance gain). But maybe he is a force against "crusaders of progress" in retro community. As example "retro Amiga" seems to be dead and the whole Amiga community seems to be about who can add stronger gfx card, more RAM or newer OS replacement.

Edited by ilmenit