IGNORED

IntelliVania for the Mattel Intellivision coming 2020

Rev

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Noah98 said:

Could this game have been made back in the day for the Intellivision, assuming the programmers were using the technology they had available at the time?

I cannibalize a comment posted by another programmer. I believe it's partly appropriate to your question too: 

I assume Intellivania is way bigger than 16k or even 32k

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, intellivotion said:

I cannibalize a comment posted by another programmer. I believe it's partly appropriate to your question too: 

I assume Intellivania is way bigger than 16k or even 32k

Size of the cartridge is not the only variable. Inty Basic greatly accelerates the development process but at the same time, it bloats the code. So, it is apples and oranges to compare a large Inty Basic game, developed 'quickly' versus a tighter machine code game, developed much slower in a smaller ROM footprint. 

• Like 2

Most people asking about whether impressive homebrew would have been possible bitd usually mean technically possible on real hardware more than "practically" possible. The reason it's asked is often because so much classic game homebrew relies of enhancements like extra cpus in carts or addons like the SGM.

All Intellivision homebrew is running completely off of the actual hardware from bitd. Some games make use of the Intellivoice and/or ECS, but it's usually optional. Some homebrew games with voice samples actually do it without the Intellivoice.

Something to put games like Intellivania in perspective: the NES couldn't do this game this well if it used the same sized rom.

• Like 4

On 4/19/2020 at 1:48 PM, Black_Tiger said:

Most people asking about whether impressive homebrew would have been possible bitd usually mean technically possible on real hardware more than "practically" possible. The reason it's asked is often because so much classic game homebrew relies of enhancements like extra cpus in carts or addons likgot any of matels follow ups as theye the SGM.

All Intellivision homebrew is running completely off of the actual hardware from bitd. Some games make use of the Intellivoice and/or ECS, but it's usually optional. Some homebrew games with voice samples actually do it without the Intellivoice.

Something to put games like Intellivania in perspective: the NES couldn't do this game this well if it used the same sized rom.

It is funny as the 79 intellivision feature set seems more modern than consoles that came later like the colecovision and 5200.  Shame we never got the real intv 3 or 4.  Also kind of funny since the one additional console we got from mattel was the underpowered aquarius (still like the aquarius)

2 hours ago, masschamber said:

It is funny as the 79 intellivision feature set seems more modern than consoles that came later like the colecovision and 5200.  Shame we never got the real intv 3 or 4.  Also kind of funny since the one additional console we got from mattel was the underpowered aquarius (still like the aquarius)

The Aquarius may be great and it is my favorite system to collect for, but I think you’re forgetting something...

43E91DE6-C0DD-418E-9149-F329CEA8635E.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

The box artwork was finalized this morning.  I am feeling indecisive on the layout / arrangement / palette for the box and logo, but will try to get that determined as soon as possible.   There have been five different sketches and dozens of different mock up designs over these past months, but this last one I am very pleased with.  The artist is Rudy Wilde, and I really think he has done fantastic work.  

Below is a mock up for those that are interested.

image.thumb.png.e19be0133bd4c549f22afb9fa752785e.png

• Like 23