IGNORED

Looking for 1050 drive plastics

cwilbar

I have a 'sad case' 1050 that I've brought back to operating condition, but the top shell is cracked and has a small hole in it, the bottom shell is usable but has the little standoffs the position the PCB broken off, and the face is only half there ?

Anyone have any parts drives that can spare plastics ?  Not sure if any parts are different in the shells based on mech, but IIRC this one has a Tandon mech in it.

PM me if you have anything and what you would want for it.

I am in MA in the US.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding these plastics, I did locate a set, and that drive now looks as good as it functions.

I am curious however, what is the difference in the top case and front bezel for WST drives vs Tandon drives.  And with the difference, can one top case and bezel be used for both types while the other can only be used for one type ?

I was unable to determine what the differences are by searching the net, only that the top case and front bezel are different between WST and Tandon mech drives.

Thanks.

7 hours ago, orpheuswaking said:

you can't mix and match the parts, I found this out the hard way when I was trying to mix two to make one good drive. The little clips are offset in different places and wont fit properly 

Which clips are you referring to ?  The ones that hold the lower pcb in the lower shell, or the ones that hold the top of the front bezel to the top shell ?

I originally never knew there was a difference between Tandon and WST drive plastics.  They are both 5.25" HH floppy mechs.... what is so different ? 

I know one 1050 I have has a Tandon mech, but WST firmware in the controller.  The Tandon mech (in that particular drive) seems to work fine with the faster stepper of the WST 1050 firmware.

I figured this out.  Turns out I had both types.  There are two visible differences.  One 'support' that holds the drive in place from the top shell is longer and in a slightly different position on the WST drives than Tandon.  The second difference is how the front bezel is clipped onto the top shell.  I think if they had used the same clip strategy the only difference would be the top shell.

Given this, a Tandon 1050 top shell may work on a WST 1050, but it may not hold the drive positively in place if you turn it upside down.

A WST 1050 top shell could be modified to work on a Tandon 1050, but you would have to shorten or eliminate that 'support'.

Of course, you'd also use the appropriate front bezel for whichever top shell you are using.

So, if you don't have issues with imperfection/modification, you could mix and match the plastics and drive assemblies.

Or at least, this is my conjecture by looking at the two side by side finally.

Note that even the top case is different for a WST (made in hong kong) drive - it has a support post with a rubber foot that compresses onto the drive mech in a different place compared to a tandon (made in singapore) 1050. Maybe the bottom case is different too, I'm not sure about that. The screw mounts for the PCB may be in different places. And ive seen WST drives actually with screws in the PCB to secure it to the bottom, never PCB screws in Tandon 1050's!

• Like 1