dhe

Stewart Conner's 99110 Project

Just a few questions for anyone that has worked through this board.

Has anyone created a digikey BOM?

Is there a preferred or non-preferred vendor for 99110/99105's - as they are all pretty much $35 from China.... I'm guessing some type of pulls.

Can someone point me to a power supply?

Anyone put in ZIF sockets?

Anyone that has built this, any tips to share?

Thanks,
Dano

Exciting!

I'm studying Stuart's board very closely for my own version, adding 9901 and V9958. (not sure if the 9901 is going to work.)

I got the 99105 from polida2008 on eBay for $33. You can ask him or hth-chips (also eBay) to make a custom eBay listing for you with all the chips you want.    I have not verified the 99105 running code yet, only that it powers on and clocks.

You can also get 32-pin ZIF for the ROMs on eBay. I ordered those and a bulk lot lot of crystals and discrete components from giorgio11185 (eBay). Happy to share those.

The narrow RAMs are nice, but I'm using plain old wide ones.

My power supply is a bench supply. If you use an AC adaptor, (or any supply) you should check the voltage rail with a scope. When I first put the 99105 in, it was swinging from 4.75 to 5.25 with the clock pulses, barely in spec. Caps tightened that up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dhe said:

Has anyone created a digikey BOM?

Is there a preferred or non-preferred vendor for 99110/99105's - as they are all pretty much $35 from China.... I'm guessing some type of pulls.

Anyone put in ZIF sockets?

Anyone that has built this, any tips to share?

Thanks,
Dano

Has someone actually produced the 99110?  I haven't seen any on the market, just 99105s.  The '110 has the math routines in it, correct?

• Like 1

Me and pnr had a few threads a couple of years ago talking about TMS99105 and TMS99110. If I recall properly we did also talk about sourcing TMS99110 chips. One of the interesting results was that some  TMS99105 chips actually turned out to be TMS99110 chips, i.e. they had the floating point macrostore ROMs. I haven't played around with my TMS99105 chips for a while, but I think I have three of them and one is actually a TMS99110.

You may already know, but I built a TI-99/4A clone using a TMS99105 and a FPGA chip: My TMS99105 project on hackaday.io

Here are the links to threads on this forum:

TMS99110 ROM disassembly discussion

Musings on 99000 macro code

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dhe said:

I'm getting one of these 25W CUI adaptors for $19. It has a 2.5mm barrel plug. 

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/490-SDI36-5-U-P6

It's way overkill, but I plan to add a lot of other things for a budget of up to 12W.

I remember finding a 5V switching power supply in TI's dumpster, long ago, that powered my first 9995 project.

• Like 2

I use a USB-to-barrel connector power cable, and power the board from a USB socket on the computer I use for the serial terminal.

I was given a 99110, but have only ever seen 99105s for sale on eBay. So at least one 99110 exists.  ;-)

• Like 1

I have a 99000 (white ceramic), several 99105s, and a 99110. The 99000 came with a weird board I got from a former TI worker in Germany a long time ago. I also have a 16MHz-certified 9995 from a different German source that used to work at the TI works in Munich.

• Like 3