IGNORED

The my wife's friend backed up into my wife's car sale

eightbit

Yeah, great title huh? When it rains it pours. My wife is 41 today and as a birthday gift her best friend backed up into her car tonight (that I still have four years of payments on) shortly after I came home from work. Did a number on it too. The front is completely smashed and the hood very very bent. Just like me right now.

In any case, I foresee me bleeding money and have to act fast. I was not intending to sell some of my collection (which mainly comprises of vintage computers now) but I know I am going to have to.

I have no pictures at the moment, but this is what I have and what I expect to sell for:

1. Commodore 64 breadbox model with Fastload reloaded cart, new modern PLA, new ARMSID (if you do not know what this is, it is awesome!), and a really nice SD2IEC device with pre-configured SD card. No power supply included however as I am using a multi supply that is powering other things.  The C64 comes with an S-VIDEO/Composite cable and the unit looks and works like new. The system is clean, no yellowing and the keyboard is like new. Copper heatsinks have been added to the rest of the chips in this as well. I will also include an S-video SCART cable I purchased for it that just arrived and I haven't even tested yet.  $200 plus shipping

2. VIC-20 computer in excellent condition with only slight areas of yellowing (at the case seams..almost undetectable). The keyboard is like new. Really gorgeous Vic-20. Includes original box (matching serial), manuals, Penultimate Plus cart, and SD2IEC device with pre-configured SD card. Comes with normal A/V cable (composite w/audio). I will also include a composite SCART cable I purchased for it that just arrived and I haven't even tested yet. Copper heatsinks have been added to all chips in this unit as well. Again, no power supply. The multi supply powered this, the C64 and my Amiga. I am trying to keep my Amiga and that supply powers it as well. . - $200 plus ship takes the Vic-20 set

3. Atari 800XL and SDRIVE Max - The Atari 800XL has been modified. All chips inside are socketed and a Rambo 256KB ram module has been installed. It also has S-Video and audio jacks on the back of the case so no need for a special cable. The SDRIVE Max is professionally done in a nice white case with Atari logo and comes with the necessary USB power cable, power adapter and a microSD card pre-configured ready to boot. The computer is 100% functional...all ram tests check out as well as extended ram checks. There is one small hole drilled in the back of the case that must have been designated for a switch (I did not do these mods) but it is not something you see unless you look back there. I will also include a S-video SCART cable I purchased for it that just arrived and I haven't even tested yet. Also comes with a new modern PSU from The Brewing Academy - $200 plus shipping 

USA SHIPPING ONLY!!

<ALL SALES ON HOLD FOR NOW>

I will try to get pictures up here in the coming days. It is just tough with work, I get home late and everyone is sleeping...makes it hard to break things down and take pictures. But, rest assured these items are in excellent condition unless other wise noted. Any questions please PM!

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Sorry to hear this, but I am confused, too.  If you're making payments,  they don't let you go without insurance, but your wife's friend's insurance should be covering this anyway, right?   If not, (and I could be wrong here...Not a fan of insurance or making payments, so I only have liability....Plus I am happily unmarried, but that's a whole separate issue...);  Don't they force something on you in case the other person doesn't have insurance (uninsured motorist)?  Or are you just getting ready for a deductible?

Either way, it sounds like a job for insurance.  But if not I wish you the best and ...Well,  Good luck with your sale!

5 hours ago, thanatos said:

Ouch. 

Your wife's best friend doesn't have car insurance?  She should be footing the bill...

Well, that is the problem. She is like family to us and does a lot for us and the kids. She is basically their aunt. And, she has had accidents previously. If she reports this they will certainly drop her. I don't want to do that to her....so that is why we are not claiming it through her insurance.

She is going to pay for it, but she does not have the money at the moment. We can always claim a "hit and run" with our insurance, but I don't need our rates going up either.

She's a nice girl.... but she's one of those types that should never be behind the wheel of a motor vehicle!

As for my payments, I am paying off a 5 year 401K loan that I took out to purchase this car for her...they are not direct payments to a dealership or anything. I took out a $10K loan for a five year period and purchased outright a used (but nice) vehicle for her. I am only one year into paying that loan back.

So, that is it in a nutshell. She will pay me back for the damage when she can, but I need to get this fixed up for her now. The hood latches (thankfully) but the front is all busted up and what was a vehicle she was so happy to get now looks like sh*t. I feel bad that it happened to her on her birthday no less. I'm getting an estimate this week for this...and I suspect I'll be in the $2k range for the repairs although I am hoping less of course. I have a lot of stuff anyway so selling some of it off isn't going to kill me....if anything it will lighten the load and ease the wallet.

Edited by eightbit
  • Thanks 1

Just now, OLD CS1 said:

You, sir, are far a more forgiving soul than I.  Cheers.

Oh, trust me if it had been anyone else ;) She's been the only reason my wife and I have been able to go out together for the past decade as she's been THE babysitter. And she never asks for anything....so I'd really be a jerk to screw her on her insurance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eightbit said:

She's a nice girl.... but she's one of those types that should never be behind the wheel of a motor vehicle!

It seems odd that you have to suffer because she shouldn't be behind the wheel.

I'm not saying that you should bear ill will, but I think there's a point where you should just accept the insurance company's assessment of a situation.  It's kind of like loaning money to my sister.  You'd never see that money again, and she'd still be strapped for cash.  Just cut the cord.  The next object she crashes into with lethal force may have been alive before.

Edited by ChildOfCv

4 hours ago, eightbit said:

Oh, trust me if it had been anyone else ;) She's been the only reason my wife and I have been able to go out together for the past decade as she's been THE babysitter. And she never asks for anything....so I'd really be a jerk to screw her on her insurance.

Hopefully she's better with your kids than with her car! ;) Good luck bud!

She's really good with the kids and a really good person. I won't knock her at all. She just does not mix with vehicles very well...lol. She has this big SUV to boot...which has some power obviously.

I checked with the insurance today and we actually have accident forgiveness with a deductible of $500. They will cover up to $5000 in damage. So, that's good. I just need to make $500. A good buddy of mine basically donated $200 to me thus far, so I have $300 to go.

So, not as bad as I was expecting. 

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 1

Best of luck my friend!

I understand after your detailed explanation.   And you're right!  You can't be a jerk to a friend of the family like that.  This is just one of those things in life.  It'll probably all be sorted before you know it.  I sure hope she's careful driving in the future...

Again best of luck with the sales :)

• Like 1

On 1/14/2020 at 3:05 PM, eightbit said:

As for my payments, I am paying off a 5 year 401K loan that I took out to purchase this car for her...they are not direct payments to a dealership or anything. I took out a $10K loan for a five year period and purchased outright a used (but nice) vehicle for her. I am only one year into paying that loan back.

I did this as well. I figure if I'm paying someone interest it should be me. Plus if I lose my job the 401k loan becomes a payout and I only have to pay "disbursement taxes" on what's left (I have 2 months left on mine to pay back). Bought a Grand Marquis and I regret nothing! :)

Good to hear you may not have to part with your hard earned stuff to pull this off. :)

• Like 2