IGNORED

SMSFM Board?

Tempest

3 minutes ago, chicgamer said:

I installed one of my SMS years ago. I don't think there is a ton of soldering involved (at least, for the first version of the SMS—not sure what is required for the SMS 2). If you have even basic soldering skills, I think you should be fine installing this.

The port connector doesn't come pre-soldered anymore for example, so that's 50 pins right there.

11 minutes ago, chicgamer said:

Gotcha. :)

If you end up buying the kit, I'd be happy to solder it together for you. I would even install it in your SMS, though shipping the console back and forth may make that cost prohibitive for you.

I'm in SE Michigan so that may not be too bad.  I might take you up on that if I get one. 

11 hours ago, CatPix said:

I don't know why he says that the board must be slanted, I soldered it straight and it fits into my SMS 1.

01_kit_connector_angle.jpg

That is a picture directly from his website.

I have a v2.0 installed (all works except for the annoying noise in Outrun which was fixed in 2.2 and the current 3.0, you clear the "screeching tires" looping SFX by going a little off-road, still annoying)

@Tempest It's a good update but don't expect the London Symphony Orchestra ... if you have a MegaEDv2/X7 or the MegaSG you can experience it there (maybe you already did). Had I had any of them when I ordered it probably I would have skipped it altogether (note that I have also a JP SMS with Boch's adapter and internal mod so I can use my MasterED on it ... hence I was covered already so to speak).

8 hours ago, phoenixdownita said:

01_kit_connector_angle.jpg

That is a picture directly from his website.

I have a v2.0 installed (all works except for the annoying noise in Outrun which was fixed in 2.2 and the current 3.0, you clear the "screeching tires" looping SFX by going a little off-road, still annoying)

@Tempest It's a good update but don't expect the London Symphony Orchestra ... if you have a MegaEDv2/X7 or the MegaSG you can experience it there (maybe you already did). Had I had any of them when I ordered it probably I would have skipped it altogether (note that I have also a JP SMS with Boch's adapter and internal mod so I can use my MasterED on it ... hence I was covered already so to speak).

I think the slant was so it didn't touch the shielding, but if you cut the shielding (like I plan to do) then it's not a problem.

I've heard the samples online and yeah, they're better than the PGM sound but nothing amazing.  Still, I've wanted one of these for a while so I decided now was the time.

I have the first Everdrive for the Genesis, not one of the newer ones so there's no support for FM sound.  

51 minutes ago, frankodragon said:

I also installed the older version a long time ago on my Master System 1 console.  The expansion port contacts may have a protective coating so you'll need to gently scrape it off with a dull Exacto knife or other tool.

I'll have to check mine.  It's a older SMS 1 from the US.  It has the Snail Maze game in it IIRC.

BTW how many of you have your SMS's within arms reach for the pause and start buttons?  I looked it up and a ton of games actually use those.  I might have to get one of those modded NES controllers with the buttons.  I hear you can use a Genesis controller for at least the start button.

Ah, I remember he said you had to cut the shielding, I assumed that meant on the whole surface of the mod. Make sense. I ditched the shielding long ago :)

For the system, I keep it usually it's at arm's reach. It helps that the controller cords are quite short usually - I would be surprised that they used longer cords for the US release, but maybe Tonka bothered with that.

I know that in Europe, they seemingly didn't paid much attention with the Megadrive, it's not uncommon to find short cable (merely 80cm long) and long cables (1.50m) pads.

For sound, I think it's much greater, but it depends on games. Some games were clearly developped with great care for the FM music, others are more of a lukewarm attempt and doesn't sounds so great.

Someone made a custom FM soundtrack for Sonic 1, and it's brilliant :

Nope. As with most console, it was meant to pass the US FCC tests and doesn't play any purpose whatsoever.

The original Famicom isn't shielded, late Intellivision in Europe werent shielded, for example.

You can remove it without any issue; in fact it will improve ventilation.

One exception is the Bally Astrocade, where it's used for heat dissipation and as ground plane.

2 hours ago, Tempest said:

BTW how many of you have your SMS's within arms reach for the pause and start buttons?  I looked it up and a ton of games actually use those.  I might have to get one of those modded NES controllers with the buttons.  I hear you can use a Genesis controller for at least the start button.

The way my game room is set up, I just need to lean over and hit these on the console, though I've been thinking of modding my SMS so that I can pause from the controller. I've been looking at this kit that fits within an NES controller shell. It requires a pause button kit be installed in the SMS as well.

11 minutes ago, chicgamer said:

The way my game room is set up, I just need to lean over and hit these on the console, though I've been thinking of modding my SMS so that I can pause from the controller. I've been looking at this kit that fits within an NES controller shell. It requires a pause button kit be installed in the SMS as well.

Huh, I didn't realize you also need to mod the system (makes sense I guess).   

21 hours ago, Tempest said:

I'll have to check mine.  It's a older SMS 1 from the US.  It has the Snail Maze game in it IIRC.

The one I modded is also an SMS 1. The expansion port contacts are located just above the cart port.  https://retromegabit.com/2014/11/14/sega-master-system-fm-sound-mod/

sms-fm-sound-mod-031.jpg?w=500&h=375