IGNORED

Car Wars: No Modern-Style Manual in US?

sixersfan105

Based on some research, it would appear as though Car Wars was the only TI-99/4A game (I have not explored utility/education carts) that saw a "modern-style" manual release exclusively outside of the US market. Below I came across the dual-language modern-style Canadian release and also the European (UK/France?) modern-style, but no English-only US version seems to exist. TI99.eu confirms the Canadian release and EU release in modern styling. Seems like a strange decision on TI's part. While hard to find, I do know that Car Wars beige carts with modern-style red labels do exist in the US, but it seems as though the matching manuals never came to be here in the US.

Curious if anyone is privy to additional information on this or if it's simply a weird production quirk.

Car Wars Can.jpg

Car Wars EU.jpg

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, sixersfan105 said:

Nicely done, @--- Ω ---! And how very punny of you! Also just noticed on the Canadian version the French title is literally just "Cars"...TI had some bad translators!

Thanks.  I left off the "solid state cartridge" because now days people have different ways to save and load programs.  Ahh, you caught the 'item' in the picture.  ? 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Toucan said:

Break out your Spring 1984 Triton catalog and turn to page 7: https://archive.org/details/triton-catalogs

You'll see a Car Wars manual without French. Not sure why those top manuals have what seems like color inversion, but you can see the manual in that row.

Very interesting! Agreed that the color inversion is odd, and it appears throughout that issue. Car Wars in the modern style appears on the back page (16), too. Still doesn't mean English-only modern styling manuals ever made it to market in the US, but this is interesting to see, nonetheless.