IGNORED

Double Dragon 7800 question

Propane13

Hey folks,

Double Dragon 7800 has an interesting feature where if you complete the game with 2 players, you are rewarded with a face-off against the other player.

I was wondering if this in itself is actually a good game in itself.

It would be interesting to Hack Double Dragon so that the game starts at this final face-off and sort of use that as a simple 2-player fighting engine.

I've kind of wanted to see if it's "fun" to play against another player when both have equal strength.

Has such a hack been done before?

-John

• Like 1

On 1/15/2020 at 1:29 PM, Propane13 said:

Hey folks,

Double Dragon 7800 has an interesting feature where if you complete the game with 2 players, you are rewarded with a face-off against the other player.

-John

Use normal kick as standard attack and you’ve got a mediocre beat-em-up arcade port.

Graphics: 7/10

Good backdrops (much better than NES, not as good as Sega Master). Sprites mixed bag.

KevinMos3 has provided a grfx hack.

Sound: 7/10

music is okey-ish, much too repeatable, but whats there is okey.

Sound-effects do the job.

Playablility: 7/10 

Punch is often useless for anything else than countering enemy attacks.

Standard kick should be used as standard attack (not punch)

Fly-kick and backwards flykicks works well.

Some stiff enemy AI.

Lastability: 7/10

Somewhat difficult until you learn how the stiff enemy AI works.

PAL version is too slow; go for the NTSC version

Entertainment value: 7/10

Somehow, despite its flaws, I played it a lot, and using kicks/flykick and backward flykick I did play it a lot last summer.

Havent a clue about the friendly ‘showdown’.

Hope this helps in some way.

6BA95893-4ED6-4B73-9025-41BA16D7F2BD.jpeg

9A81B84D-68E2-4F91-ADFF-D8497CBDE249.jpeg

C98866FF-1435-4D07-981D-0DAEB1AD5451.jpeg

Edited by Giles N

I've beaten it MANY times, but NEVER with 2 players.  I either need some new friends, or a time machine.  :?

I'd love to see a hack that adds the option to select a face-off from the title screen.  The idea of making a 2-player one-on-one fighting game out of it is very interesting as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KevinMos3 said:

I've beaten it MANY times, but NEVER with 2 players.  I either need some new friends, or a time machine.  :?

I'd love to see a hack that adds the option to select a face-off from the title screen.  The idea of making a 2-player one-on-one fighting game out of it is very interesting as well.

Triple the player sprite size and make it into Mortal Kombat 7800? Hey, a guy can dream :grin: 

EDIT: Wasn't there a version or two of Double Dragon 5 that where 1 on 1 fighting games?

On 1/19/2020 at 1:34 PM, KevinMos3 said:

Hello!  Well, I'd be up for attempting to find the byte/bytes necessary to automatically warp you to to the final battle.  It seems a lot of folks don't know about this, so I want to at least demonstrate that it does exist, at the very least (or, prove my memory is fallable-- I only remember getting there with 2 players "once").  Another option would be if we could get 2 Atari 7800 people at an upcoming convention to get to the end just to confirm/deny this last battle mode.

I may request a little assistance, though.  Since you did that amazing graphic hack awhile back, I was curious if you could clue me into which of the 8 banks are graphics data vs. code.  That may help cut the possibilities by a lot and give me a good place to start my focus.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2020 at 1:29 PM, Propane13 said:

Hey folks,

It would be interesting to Hack Double Dragon so that the game starts at this final face-off and sort of use that as a simple 2-player fighting engine.

I've kind of wanted to see if it's "fun" to play against another player when both have equal strength.

Has such a hack been done before?

-John

Hi, did you try it out?

7 hours ago, Giles N said:

Hi, did you try it out?

Hello Giles N!

It's definitely going to be slow going.  I have about 30m available to dedicate to Atari "fun" per morning before I start my real job, and pretty much I'm starting from scratch.  I had written tools for this sort of thing almost 20 years ago, but those were on a computer that's long gone.

Add that to the fact that I have 128K of code to go through, and that I haven't touched 6502 assembler in just short of a decade, and that there is no source code or disassembly available (that I'm aware of), and it's likely going to be awhile.  But, I am interested in seeing what I can do.

Yesterday, I was able to get started on a partial disassembly of bank 8 (16K), but it's all pretty cryptic at the beginning.  It's likely going to take weeks to months for me to start mapping memory locations to their functions and to start putting accurate labels on branching paths.  But, hey, it's a fun project that I think is within my limited abilities at this point, so I'll try to give it a shot at least.

In the meantime, I'm really hoping someone can play Double Dragon in 2 player mode and get to the end and prove that there's a 2-player face-off after the final boss.  I'm a little surprised that folks don't know about this, and the last time I did this was in the 1990s, so I'd like to fact-check my memory if possible.

Don't worry-- I'm not going to send folks away without help.  Years ago, I helped @Cousin Vinnie with some Double Dragon 7800 tips that were posted on his 7800 site.  They're still available via the wayback machine here: https://web.archive.org/web/20080820021759/http://www.flipsiderunner.com/7800/doubledragondc.html

They are still relevant to this day.  Maybe that will help someone pair up with a friend and get to the end!

-John

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2020 at 9:30 PM, Shawn said:

Triple the player sprite size and make it into Mortal Kombat 7800? Hey, a guy can dream :grin: 

EDIT: Wasn't there a version or two of Double Dragon 5 that where 1 on 1 fighting games?

No no - the Pit Fighter demo being around must become the 7800 One-on-one beat-em-up...

????????

Whats truly essential for the 7800 is to get a Scrapyard Dog version where the player is the dog... that’s what will really make things take off...!

Edited by Giles N

The last comment was sort of a dry joke...

... but wouid love to see a Scraps-version of Scrapyard Dog.

Anyway, Pitfighter has good playability on the character, but quite a few glitches.

If it could be reprogrammed for one-one fighting, I think it could be fun addition...

Edited by Giles N