IGNORED

Atari 1050 to pc

Bubbalink

Well, back in the day I remember doing this with a custom ST Xformer cable to the parallel port. :) Nowadays, I am aware of these two standalone products that can work this way. I've seen others use both, but but haven't done it myself:

My personal preference (and probably most common) is to use either of these adapters to have the PC emulate one unique drive #, and a physical drive as another unique drive number (IE D1, D2) and use any number of sector copy programs on a real atari to copy between the two drives.

• Like 1

Like Nezgar, I haven't done it myself, but I always wanted to make the original Nick Kennedy's SIO2PC and 10502PC cables to do the same thing, write stored ATRs on the PC to an Atari computer or a 1050 drive for use on a standalone Atari. This project is circa Windows 95 or thereabouts and is using a standard COM port on the PC which limits it somewhat.

http://pages.suddenlink.net/wa5bdu/sio2pc.htm

53 minutes ago, 1050 said:

Like Nezgar, I haven't done it myself, but I always wanted to make the original Nick Kennedy's SIO2PC and 10502PC cables to do the same thing, write stored ATRs on the PC to an Atari computer or a 1050 drive for use on a standalone Atari. This project is circa Windows 95 or thereabouts and is using a standard COM port on the PC which limits it somewhat.

http://pages.suddenlink.net/wa5bdu/sio2pc.htm

I built and still have a working SIO2PC, never built the 1050 to PC, but the build is just as simple.

I also kept an old laptop running MSDOS that has a serial port for just that purpose.

Not used much these days as I built an SDrive-MAX

For what it's worth, I've owned an AtariMax SIO2PC-USB with the registered APE/ProSystem software for a little over a year and used it to backup a lot of my old disks. This setup isn't cheap, but it works flawlessly, assuming the disks you're trying to read are flawless, of course. If your needs are fairly basic, you'd probably be able to get by just fine with the freeware versions of the software. The registered version gets you access to double-sided reading from an XF551 and extra features like that, but a lot of people don't need that.

On 1/15/2020 at 7:37 PM, Bubbalink said:

How can i hook up a atari 1050 disk drive to pc so that i can transfer images from the pc to floppy drive to be used on the 800xl?

Easiest way is to buy a 10502PC USB cable form Atarimax. You can use the software in "free" mode to dump your floppies to your PC. Works great, did it with all of mine and you can do all the file naming, etc. on the PC. The advantage is that you only need one Atari component plus power supply set up and no special Atari software at all, so this is the easier way if you don't have a working Atari setup. 

If you have a working Atari and 1050, you can use any SIO2PC cable to copy via the Atari from floppies to the PC which pretends to be another floppy drive. If you don't have the copy software on an Atari floppy, you can load the copier disc image from the net and boot the Atari via the SIO2PC.

If you have any of the modern storage solutions (SDrive Max, etc.) you can use that instead of the PC.