IGNORED

Flashback 2 Pirate cart mod?

Hey everyone,

I have attempted to do the cartridge mod to the old FB2 unit twice in the past and twice failed.  When I saw one at my Goodwill by the Pound store, I figured I'd give it one more go with what I had learned from the other two attempts (which were mostly destroyed solder pads).  I re-soldered the connector I had laying around to a PCB with some wires that should work well, cut the opening in the case, ensured everything fit, and then went to start working on the FB board itself... only to find it was one of the pirate units that turned up in Kroger stores around 2010/2011.  This was the first I had heard of these existing, and the thread about it was a fascinating read.  

Since the pads are not labeled on the board, I have no idea where to begin.  I saw one post (linked below) where another member had the same trouble, but I can't seem to find if the pads were ever deciphered or if the mod is even possible.  I assume it is, but I can't seem to confirm this.  Does anyone happen to know if this was ever done successfully? If so, can any point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Edited by sethbramwell

• 1 year later...
On 1/15/2020 at 1:16 PM, sethbramwell said:

Hey everyone,

I have attempted to do the cartridge mod to the old FB2 unit twice in the past and twice failed.  When I saw one at my Goodwill by the Pound store, I figured I'd give it one more go with what I had learned from the other two attempts (which were mostly destroyed solder pads).  I re-soldered the connector I had laying around to a PCB with some wires that should work well, cut the opening in the case, ensured everything fit, and then went to start working on the FB board itself... only to find it was one of the pirate units that turned up in Kroger stores around 2010/2011.  This was the first I had heard of these existing, and the thread about it was a fascinating read.  

Since the pads are not labeled on the board, I have no idea where to begin.  I saw one post (linked below) where another member had the same trouble, but I can't seem to find if the pads were ever deciphered or if the mod is even possible.  I assume it is, but I can't seem to confirm this.  Does anyone happen to know if this was ever done successfully? If so, can any point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

It is not possible to mod the Counterfeit Kroger Edition Flashback 2.