IGNORED

I may have to seek therapy for this one...

leech

On 1/15/2020 at 8:16 PM, leech said:

Got my evilBay 7800 today, it came with a load of carts, so figured it was a decent deal, everything looked pretty good until I picked it out of the box and it rattled... saw the broken corner and took it apart...

This look salvageable?

Of course.  It just depends on how much time you are willing to put into it.

10 minutes ago, christo930 said:

Of course.  It just depends on how much time you are willing to put into it.

I'll be honest, I'll probably spend more time fixing and repairing it than I will playing it... :P  But hey, sometimes that's half the fun!  I've certainly spent more time messing with the Apple IIGS than playing any games on it, and that one works!

• Like 1

Progress?

Well, replaced the three capacitors and the four button switches.  So now it powers on from the power switch, but still just getting a pure white screen (or sometimes two white stripes with some static / sync looking issues). 

Other suggestions welcome!  I probably will need to replace the resistors at the bottom of the screen, there was definitely more of the rust below the switches that I wiped off.

So, happy ending to this story.. got another 7800, was fairly cheap and had no accessories, as I already have a PSU and two controllers.  First tried it out and... same white screen!  Then I gave it some deoxit..  had some work to do, decided to come back and give it a good shove on the cart, and it came to life.  Played some Dig Dug and cursed, then decided I should try that other board again, maybe I just wasn't shoving inhard enough... and now I have a working 7800 and one with a cracked shell...

Will figure out what to do with that one.  Both have decent output with little to no noise on the screen, but they could be sharper in the output.

Pretty decent for how old they are!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jinks said:

Thats nothing I went 5 years thinking my 600xl would not play my side2 cart... turns out I had the cart in backwards... too used to the 7800...

Ouch!  Yeah, I was basically having the opposite problem of what I thought it was.  The slot had more resistance than I was willing to give it, vs not having any contact to the cart.