IGNORED

After Hours BBS Program

9640News

55 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

Keep at it! I have an idea for solving your port forwarding issue I'll get it to you after I test it.

Fingers crossed you are thinking of something I may not be aware.

I tried Saturday installing older firmware for my router.  Well, the firmware installed and I had the features I needed to access, however, the Gateway failed to register with AT&T so no internet allowed.  After I installed the current firmware, I got things back to where it was so AT&T was non-the-wiser I was trying to get around their system.

I have  been trying to think of a way to maintain a link to another outside computer, however I am not sure how to then forward the contents of that port connection over to another port connection.  Right now, I am using no-ip.com's ddns setup which updates my dynamic IP with their Windows app.  They don't have a Linux/RPi app that I have seen.  I haven't confirmed, but AT&T's forum tended to suggest the dynamic IP address was frequently changing some time ago and was a reason a number of banks would not allow a secure connection.  I've not seen that issue on my end with my banks.

I'm not sure if one can maintain a continuous link to an external system and then "port forward" from one computer to another????  I would almost have to do that so that the TIPI/PI would answer that connection.

I've even considered adding a separate DSL line back to my house, however I have been told AT&T allows only one internet connection per address.

Anyways, that's been my thinking from my end thus far and what I am up against.

Beery

39 minutes ago, BeeryMiller said:

Fingers crossed you are thinking of something I may not be aware.

I tried Saturday installing older firmware for my router.  Well, the firmware installed and I had the features I needed to access, however, the Gateway failed to register with AT&T so no internet allowed.  After I installed the current firmware, I got things back to where it was so AT&T was non-the-wiser I was trying to get around their system.

I have  been trying to think of a way to maintain a link to another outside computer, however I am not sure how to then forward the contents of that port connection over to another port connection.  Right now, I am using no-ip.com's ddns setup which updates my dynamic IP with their Windows app.  They don't have a Linux/RPi app that I have seen.  I haven't confirmed, but AT&T's forum tended to suggest the dynamic IP address was frequently changing some time ago and was a reason a number of banks would not allow a secure connection.  I've not seen that issue on my end with my banks.

I'm not sure if one can maintain a continuous link to an external system and then "port forward" from one computer to another????  I would almost have to do that so that the TIPI/PI would answer that connection.

I've even considered adding a separate DSL line back to my house, however I have been told AT&T allows only one internet connection per address.

Anyways, that's been my thinking from my end thus far and what I am up against.

Beery

what I am considering is a firewall with vpn capabilities being located outside your network, say on a vm somewhere..  and you could attach to the vpn from your pi. and that should give you a ip address on the firewall's network.. then port forward from there to the ip ..

• 2 weeks later...

@BeeryMiller  Hi Beery,

in the disk image below I have the complete source files of the BBS system with my

German translations as a conditional compiling. It based on your version from June, 27.

AHG0711H.dsk

The new translated texts to German are in the following files:
- BBSSETUP
- MESGEDITOR
- MAINMENU
- BBSMESGBAS -- this file I had to split in two files, so I had to add the second part also in the BBS-TBOX file!
- BBSMESGBA2 -- The second part of the BBSMESGBAS
- BBSTEXTSRC  -- minor change to write J/N instead of Y/N.
- BBS-TBOX      -- adding "COPY BBSMESGBA2"
- BBS-KEEP      -- adding "COPY BBSMESGBA2"
- BBSSRC9640 -- adding "COPY BBSMESGBA2"

This version has been running on my system for a week now.

So next I will add some actual files to the download library and maybe I will make one more try to fix the time and date issue.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Wolfgang,

Good news.  I got the search function working that is case insensitive.  It will be a separate source file on its own.  I spent some time last night with display output to let the user know it was searching since there were so many files.

I've got one issue I need to resolve, that being the End-Of-File exit.  It may be tied to the bug that Matt just released the fix for, so I may not need to even make code changes for it.  The search routine is case insensitive so that is good as well.  Lee Stewart put together a very nice, tight, quick routine I was able to use.

On a Geneve, I can read and search a 3300+ sector DIS/VAR 80 file where in all practicality, the total string length is approximately 120 characters for each 3300+ records, in 3 minutes time.  I'm sure on the TI-99/4A it will be more than 3 minutes, but just saying with the TIPI it is indeed pretty quick.

I do need to have some type of abort capability in the event the user finds the file "early" in the search so they do not have to go through the whole searching process.

I am going shoot for some kind of release this weekend if all goes well.  I need to revise some File Menu's to add the earch capability and then I think I will be ready to release.

Beery

• Like 3

On 7/11/2020 at 5:12 AM, wolhess said:

@BeeryMiller  Hi Beery,

The new translated texts to German are in the following files:
- BBSSETUP
- MESGEDITOR
- MAINMENU
- BBSMESGBAS -- this file I had to split in two files, so I had to add the second part also in the BBS-TBOX file!
- BBSMESGBA2 -- The second part of the BBSMESGBAS
- BBSTEXTSRC  -- minor change to write J/N instead of Y/N.
- BBS-TBOX      -- adding "COPY BBSMESGBA2"
- BBS-KEEP      -- adding "COPY BBSMESGBA2"
- BBSSRC9640 -- adding "COPY BBSMESGBA2"

So next I will add some actual files to the download library and maybe I will make one more try to fix the time and date issue.

Wolfgang,

I just copied over the above files.

If you have updated the Excel spreadsheet with new files, etc., please send me the update.  There is an update the Excel spreadsheet I need to incorporate that generates a new file for the File Search feature.

Beery

• Like 1

OK, here is the latest update.  The Excel Spreadsheet program has been revised to Version 2.  This  update adds a file search feature so one can enter a partial string that will find the string in either the filename or the file description.  On the Geneve running this software, it will scan 12,000+ lines of DIS/VAR 80 code in 3 minutes looking for the string.  Credit to Lee Stewart with his excellent search string function he wrote that I used.

Update 7/25/2020

Beery

20200725 AfterHours.zip

Edited by BeeryMiller
  • Like 1

Hello Beery,
I have just tested the new search function in the BBS system. I searched for "MXT" and immediately saw four results.

The query to continue or cancel searching is very good.

image.thumb.png.c1761fa14698b7a4d2844db2bf578321.png

Then I searched for "aligator" to test how long the search lasted.
With my PAL TI (50Hz) it took about 4 minutes. Not bad for a search over approx. 12,000 lines (approx. 3,300 sectors, 830KB).

I then searched for "HRD", "Ramdisk" and "Stratego" and every time I got the first result after a few seconds.

Very impressive! ??

Here is my BBS system running the searching function:

IMG_3340a.thumb.jpg.6d2f0db27c50f2fbd45a60e8b873d149.jpg

Great to hear everything is running well. 

I don't know if Lee is monitoring this thread, but his search routine he wrote is being used.  I had another routine someone else had written, however I had it working for a bit, then it stopped working.  I later discovered an instruction I had used was setting the search string length incorrectly. 

The new source file is FILESEARCH, so if you update it to German text, please post it here and then I will put it into my set of files as well.

Later,

Beery

• Like 1

Right now I tested the file download.

First search a file then change to the File Transfer menu and choose download with CRC or Checksum.

Both is doing well!

BUT!!!

I used your MXT v4.E program and at the first try I discovered that the download hangs the system, but this was my own fault.

What was happening?

I entered the file name "TBOXNE-ARK" to download, change to the XMODEM menu and the program asks for the file name

to receive. I entered again "TBOXNE-ARK". MXT shows there are 6 sectors to download and hangs.

So I went back to the previous version with same result.

I went back to the version from June, 7 2020, same result and then I remembered I forgot to enter the device for saving.

Next time I entered in the XMODEM menu DSK1.TBOXNE-ARK and all works fine.

It was a massive level 8 error!

It seems all is working fine and stable.

Hello @BeeryMiller,

I have changed some menu files for the download area to avoid the query 'Press any key - ^C to abort'

and to display the query "Your database menu selection - =>" directly.

I deleted a blank line in the menu files: TEXTFF, TEXTFG, TEXTFH, TEXTFI, TEXTFK, TEXTFL.

The files are in the following zip file:

TEXTXX.zip

In the BBS source file BBSSUBS, I changed the German text "Weiter mit beliebiger Taste - ^C zum Abbrechen"

to "Weiter mit beliebiger Taste, ^C=Abbruch".

That is only 39 characters and it fits in one line (in 40 character display mode).

BBSSUBS

I tested a few downloads with the MXT program. So far this works very well and reliably.

However, sometimes MXT writes the string "[2J" on the screen. 

If you feel like it, maybe you can take a look at it and correct it?

From the PC in the Telnet client, everything looks good without the "[2J" string!

I took some pictures of it to see what I mean:

BBS_MXT01.thumb.jpg.b789372c3f69c166caa24297c08adbae.jpg

BBS_MXT02.thumb.jpg.5b67288e9ae6cc84ac4748267b3c0f05.jpg

BBS_MXT03.thumb.jpg.dfc87e1e1024a2c7b11ee3ba3f78c76c.jpg

• Like 1

OK, that [2J is preceded by a >1B (Escape character) that the beginning of an ANSI sequence to clear the screen.  Looks like for some reason, MXT is not picking up the Escape character.  I'm not 100% sure MXT was even coded to handle that sequence.  If/When I get time, I will look it over.  That is on the MXT end, not AfterHours.  On AfterHours, that sequence is sent with a LI R1,PAGE, then the next instruction is a BLWP @OUTRS to basically force a new screen page so your display starts at the top of the screen.  For what it is worth, AfterHours will always display that sequence as the >1B and [2J sequence are just characters for the screen display on the Sysop end of things.

Beery

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Beery,

I have added 300+ games from the Gameshelf website to the BBS download area and to the Excel tool.

BBS.zip

I used the following categories for this:

BBS Menu: [D] ata Library,  TI-99 / 4A, Games, [A] Basic
TI BASIC Games: CAT42 -> Filenames: GBnnnn-ARK

BBS Menu: [D] ata Library, TI-99 / 4A, Games, Extended Basic
XB games: CAT19 -> Filenames: GXnnnn-ARK

BBS Menu: [D] ata Library,   TI-99 / 4A, Games, [C] Compiled XB
Compiled XB games: CAT20 -> file names: GCnnnn-ARK

BBS Menu: [D] ata Library, TI-99 / 4A, Games, [D] Assembly
Assembly games: CAT24 -> Filenames: GAnnnn-ARK

BBS Menu: [D] ata Library, TI-99 / 4A, Games, [E] GPL, c99, Others
GPL, c99, Other games: CAT16 -> Fileman: GOnnnn-ARK

I also have added the files for my Mega Menu system and all demo programs configured in the MM-System.

The Gameshelf games are listed again with a different name and these files includes an additional LOAD file for the mega menu system.

BBS Menu: [D] ata Library, TI-99 / 4A, [D] Utilities, [E] Menu Programs
Mega Menu Program system: CAT21 -> file name: MM250-ARK (Mega Menu Version 2.50)
                                                                               MFnnn-ARK (Mega Menu Demo Programs)
                                                                               MGnnnn-ARK (Game Shelf games)

I have used the tool 50+ times to update and test the lists in the BBS system.

In the zip file above the file listings in the BBS system are all working fine, but if I add one file in the category "CAT24",
the file list breaks with an DSR error and I have to restart the BBS program.

The error can be reproduced if you copy the file MUMMY3-ARK from "CAT08" (line 20) to CAT24 in the Excel tool

and then execute "Create Files".

If the file list is then called in the BBS system ([D] ata Library, TI-99 / 4A, Games, [D] Assembly), the following error occurs:

TBOX03.thumb.JPG.9568a69c0dc3171dc0e3851015d50914.JPG

The problem occurs only in the category "CAT24" and it depends not of the example file MUMMY3-ARK".
It does not matter whether the file list is displayed page by page or continuously.

I have tested all the file lists in the download arrea to check the DSR error and 

the Error occurs in three more file lists:

1. TI-99/4A - Applications   - Music (CAT13)

2. TI-99/4A - Programming - Extended Basic (CAT30)

3. TI-99/4A - Programming - Assembly (CAT17)

Maybe you have an idea to find this bug?

• Like 1

This is a list of all files I added to the download area of the BBS system:

BBS_DL-Files_List.zip

For the games I made a new revision of the game shelf book. All program descriptions and if available the manuals are included in the pdf.

TI-99 GameShelf_2020-08-06.pdf

With the BBS_DL-Files_List and the game shelf book and with the search function in the BBS system, it is very easy to find a specific game or program in the download area.

Happy downloading and happy gaming!

• 3 months later...

Hello,

Even with the last TIPI update, the "DSR ERROR" problem in the DATA LIBRARY with certain files is not eliminated.

I looked at the files today and found that the file sector number was incorrect. In the case of faulty files, >3F is always the total number of sectors in the file.

I corrected the number of sectors and now the files are working in the BBS system.

Here are the corrected files for exchange in the BBS system. Simply copy the files to the BBS folder.

T61T07, T81T07, TE1T07; Data library: TI – Application – Music (CAT13)
T63T02, T83T02, TE3T02; Data library: TI – Programming – Extended Basic (CAT30)
T63T03, T83T03, TE3T03; Data library: TI – Programming – Assembly (CAT17)
and the File: ALLFILES

BBS-OK.zip

The faulty files are generated directly by the Excel script. It only affects files with approx. 33kb to 39kb and the ALLFILES file.

For comparison, here are the defective files:

BBS-WRONG.zip

An example of my changes
The File T83T02 from the excel script:

image.thumb.png.33185b649e377047d0a0a08c1277fc1f.png

I corrected the value >3F to >99

image.thumb.png.552abbcdc3c089c4183a12403089f624.png

TIDIR displays the files without any problems, but a conversion to PC files leads to smaller files of >3F sector length.

The defective files cannot be imported into the TIIMAGE tool either.

image.png.917f94ffc69fa5f6aa19f9bf895cce0b.png

After the correction, importing into the TIIMAGE tool also works:

image.png.00116ce11ec1e2b92b14d2b216029fcc.png

image.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wolhess said:

Hello,

Even with the last TIPI update, the "DSR ERROR" problem in the DATA LIBRARY with certain files is not eliminated.

I looked at the files today and found that the file sector number was incorrect. In the case of faulty files, >3F is always the total number of sectors in the file.

I corrected the number of sectors and now the files are working in the BBS system.

Here are the corrected files for exchange in the BBS system. Simply copy the files to the BBS folder.

T61T07, T81T07, TE1T07; Data library: TI – Application – Music (CAT13)
T63T02, T83T02, TE3T02; Data library: TI – Programming – Extended Basic (CAT30)
T63T03, T83T03, TE3T03; Data library: TI – Programming – Assembly (CAT17)
and the File: ALLFILES

BBS-OK.zip 141.31 kB · 1 download

The faulty files are generated directly by the Excel script. It only affects files with approx. 33kb to 39kb and the ALLFILES file.

For comparison, here are the defective files:

BBS-WRONG.zip 141.29 kB · 2 downloads

An example of my changes
The File T83T02 from the excel script:

image.thumb.png.33185b649e377047d0a0a08c1277fc1f.png

I corrected the value >3F to >99

image.thumb.png.552abbcdc3c089c4183a12403089f624.png

TIDIR displays the files without any problems, but a conversion to PC files leads to smaller files of >3F sector length.

The defective files cannot be imported into the TIIMAGE tool either.

image.png.917f94ffc69fa5f6aa19f9bf895cce0b.png

After the correction, importing into the TIIMAGE tool also works:

image.png.00116ce11ec1e2b92b14d2b216029fcc.png

image.png

Thanks Wolfgang for it.  Looks like I need to go back and review that script that creates the DV80 files.  Just for others, this isn't a TIPI issue, rather an Excel script issue trying to create some DIS/VAR 80 files.

I've got some other programming I am working on now, but I have this next week off from work and will try to get to it.

Beery

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, BeeryMiller said:

Thanks Wolfgang for it.  Looks like I need to go back and review that script that creates the DV80 files.  Just for others, this isn't a TIPI issue, rather an Excel script issue trying to create some DIS/VAR 80 files.

I've got some other programming I am working on now, but I have this next week off from work and will try to get to it.

Beery

No hurry, 

the files are corrected and if I will make a new run to add some files now I know what i have to do.

• Like 1

Wolfgang,

I got to a good break point on my other project, and pulled up the Excel sheet and looked at the VB code.  I found where the problem was being generated.  Why the code worked for 68 of the 71 sets of 3 files, and not those three, have me puzzled.

Either way, I think i have the solution.

Before I post the fix, have you updated your Excel Spreadsheet and/or added files beyond what I distributed?  If so, please zip of the files and your spreadsheet and I will work from your spreadsheet configuration.

Beery

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BeeryMiller said:

Wolfgang,

I got to a good break point on my other project, and pulled up the Excel sheet and looked at the VB code.  I found where the problem was being generated.  Why the code worked for 68 of the 71 sets of 3 files, and not those three, have me puzzled.

Either way, I think i have the solution.

Before I post the fix, have you updated your Excel Spreadsheet and/or added files beyond what I distributed?  If so, please zip of the files and your spreadsheet and I will work from your spreadsheet configuration.

Beery

@Beery,

no, I didn't update the excel sheet. It's the same as in post #243.