IGNORED

After Hours BBS Program

9640News

On 8/31/2021 at 6:55 PM, 9640News said:

@wolhess and @arcadeshopper 

Here are the updated program image files  in the 20210831AfterHours.zip file, and the other file contains all the source code as I think Wolfgang may need to update some text to German (top of BBSMESGBAS) if he desires.

Make a backup copy of your existing files for the complete BBS.  The previous update, I had a change that would have impacted the order of the new message pointers in the file at TIPI.MESG.NEWMSG .  Greg, the file you sent me I think was pulled from a different directory as it was blank.  I have a 4 sector NEWMSG file I have included in the first file that is good for about 22-23 users.  If you have more users than that on your BBS and see strange new message pointers that do not clear, then use a sector editor on that file and clear everything beyond >28 (40 bytes) to hex >00.  You will only need to update the NEWMSG file if you see an issue.

I think I have the pause/continuous issue resolved for the filesearch area and I think it will work with Greg's title screen for ANSI 80 columns.

I'll be on the road from Thursday through Monday coming up, but will have some access to the forum.

Beery

20210831AfterHours.zip 51.39 kB · 3 downloads 20210831AfterHoursSource.zip 81.06 kB · 4 downloads

THANKS!  

oops i found a newmsg in 3 folders sent you the wrong one.. deleted all the dupes 

Greg

OK Wolfgang and Greg,

Check out this update that should fix the pausing issue, as well as another revert back to default 40 column after doing a file search.

20210906AfterHours.zip

Ooops, Wolfgang.  I just saw where it saved the third file out to 8192 bytes because the German text is longer than the English text .  Only Greg can use this version.  I will need to see where I can trim something out to make room.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, 9640News said:

Correction Wolfgang, you should be able to use the file.  The file after I copied to the TIPI was 8192 bytes because of the file header, however, it is 7966 bytes in length and should be good without me having to delete any unused code.

Beery

Hi Beery,

Thank You for the new version of the BBS software. You are right, I can run the software on my system.

The new version works for me same as the last version. In the 'non ansi' version the page-stop works but in the 'ansi' version it shows the help-file or the 'Info on BBS-file' continuously until the file ends.

Today I noticed another behavior:

I made a new message in the GENERAL message base from my wolhess account. Then I logged in with my sysop account and choosed the "check for new messages" function.

The system tolds me, there are no new messages, but there is a new message in the GENERAL message base.

image.thumb.png.f8de644f3f27b37ebc387fea5b15e5f3.png

image.thumb.png.42a0252c0b9ecc80130a37d36c2fef2e.png

Regarding the message bases.  I had a note earlier indicating you need to have at least two messages in each message base.  If there is only 1 message, then it does not see the second message.

As far as the ANSI, and displaying the help file, I thought we decided to let the TEXTTS (Title Screen) file display uninterrupted when displaying an ANSI file, but anything else that was ANSI, to not have the pause function as that could interrupt an ANSI sequence?

Beery

14 minutes ago, 9640News said:

Regarding the message bases.  I had a note earlier indicating you need to have at least two messages in each message base.  If there is only 1 message, then it does not see the second message.

As far as the ANSI, and displaying the help file, I thought we decided to let the TEXTTS (Title Screen) file display uninterrupted when displaying an ANSI file, but anything else that was ANSI, to not have the pause function as that could interrupt an ANSI sequence?

Beery

Ah yes, I remember. 

I made two more messages in the GENERAL base, but the system didn't find it.

image.thumb.png.62db1a62ebef162e1685c2fa4263a961.png

I choosed the "Check for new messages" function with my wolhess account and I can't quit the diplay of new messages.

I have to check all the 100+ messages until no more new messages are in the system.

Right now I didn't pressed any key, so I the system time out brings the system back to "keycheck".

Maybe it is possible to press (Q)uit and the system shows the message base menu? 

3 hours ago, wolhess said:

Hi Beery, 

I made two more messages in the other message base 'Retro Computers'. These messages the system finds after "check for new messages" and shows it on the screen,

but the new messages in the GENERAL base it didn't find. 

Send me a copy of your NEWMSG file, and your user # or user #'s so I can look at it and see what the high message number read shows.

Beery

1 hour ago, 9640News said:

Send me a copy of your NEWMSG file, and your user # or user #'s so I can look at it and see what the high message number read shows.

Beery

SYSOP      is user #1         1 message from 4 in the GENERAL base read, in other message bases all messages read.

WOLHESS is user #2         only a few messages read 

NEWMSG

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 9640News said:

Wolfgang,

You caught a programming bug.  I had a wrong offset in a pointer for one message base that was messing things up.  This should fix it for both you and Greg.

20210907AfterHours.zip 34.28 kB · 4 downloads

Hi, today I updated my TBOX99 BBS to the new version.

Yes, now the program finds the new messages even in the GENERAL message base.

Thank You

Wolfgang

55 minutes ago, wolhess said:

Hi, today I updated my TBOX99 BBS to the new version.

Yes, now the program finds the new messages even in the GENERAL message base.

Thank You

Wolfgang

Great.

Sometime through this upcoming weekend, I will post all the code, menus, and updates as a complete package should someone else want to run their own system.

Beery

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 9640News said:

Great.

Sometime through this upcoming weekend, I will post all the code, menus, and updates as a complete package should someone else want to run their own system.

Beery

OK, so I can try to add some minor changes in the source to support a little bit more the German language.

Do you know how much memory is available in the different segments?

I will try to use the source files on the harddisk with GenASM. Last time I only could do the assembling with the source files on the floppy drive. But now the sources are too big for one floppy.

And before all I will update my mame version and learn a little more about using the hard- and floppy-disks in the GENEVE environment.

I got my second sidecar tipi repaired, so I can setup a second BBS system. I will change the TBOX99 to German only and setup a new BBS system for English only.

Wolfgang

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wolhess said:

OK, so I can try to add some minor changes in the source to support a little bit more the German language.

Do you know how much memory is available in the different segments?

I will try to use the source files on the harddisk with GenASM. Last time I only could do the assembling with the source files on the floppy drive. But now the sources are too big for one floppy.

And before all I will update my mame version and learn a little more about using the hard- and floppy-disks in the GENEVE environment.

I got my second sidecar tipi repaired, so I can setup a second BBS system. I will change the TBOX99 to German only and setup a new BBS system for English only.

Wolfgang

There is something like 200 bytes left in the TBOZ file which is where all the text is pretty much stored.  So, hopefully, the German translation does not exceed that.  If need be, there are a couple of routines I can comment out that are not being used at the moment.

First though,  you will need the most updated files after the last set of updates.  I will try and zip up the current source tonight for you.  The text changes that would need to be made would be in BBSMESGBAS with the latest changes.

Beery

1 minute ago, 9640News said:

There is something like 200 bytes left in the TBOZ file which is where all the text is pretty much stored.  So, hopefully, the German translation does not exceed that.  If need be, there are a couple of routines I can comment out that are not being used at the moment.

First though,  you will need the most updated files after the last set of updates.  I will try and zip up the current source tonight for you.  The text changes that would need to be made would be in BBSMESGBAS with the latest changes.

Beery

Hi Beery, no hurry! I have to do some preparations before!

Just now, 9640News said:

I do see one additional thing I need to address, that being the [Q]uit when reading new messages you mentioned earlier.

Beery

Yes, today I played around this. The only chance to break the flow of new messages is 'do nothing' and wait for a time out.

OK, my testing shows this update allows a user to  [Q]uit when reading a message in a message base during new message checks.  

I have included the source, and barring any other observations not behaving to everyone's wishes, I am going take a pause on updates.  I've got an idea for a future update, but some things on the TIPI front need to proceed first.

Beery

20210908AfterHrsSource.zip 20210908AfterHoursProgram.zip

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

Now I have my second BBS system in the original english language online.

The access to the english MyTBOX99 BBS is:

URL: mytbox99.ddns.net

Port: 61644

see also some pictures in this thread post #4:

@9640News

Hi Beery, I made some more conditional assembly in the attached source files too. And I changed two message bases only for the german version.

The "...Other BBS" message base is changed to "...Andere BBS Systeme" with the files BASEFILE0A, POINTFILE0A and

the "...Buy and Sell" message base is changed to "...Kaufen und Verkaufen" with the files BASEFILE0K, POINTFILE0K.

I found a small bug in the file "FILESEARCH" too. Sometimes the search function crashes, if I pressed some key's during the file search procedure.

The correction is in the source file from 20210908AfterHrsSources at line 304:

TEXT >Choice:>'

I changed it to:

TEXT 'Choice:>'

The files I modified and the complete sources are in the following .zip file:

AHG20211127.zip  EDIT: I missed a last change in the file MAINMENU!

I also added a new ASS-TBOXE, BBS-TBOXE, BBS-TBOXE1 and LINK-TBOXE file to assemble the english version of the MyTBOX BBS.

Maybe you can use the new files if you will add some more functions to the BBS software.

My English BBS files for ASCII and ANSI menu's are in the following .zip file:

English_AFTER_AFTAR.zip

My German BBS files for ASCII and ANSI menu's are in the following .zip file:

German_AFTER_AFTAR.zip

See you soon on the new BBS system...

Wolfgang

• Like 2

@wolhess

The 80 column version of AfterHours you found was something I did years ago.  I am not entirely sure what it will do as I tried to test it on the Geneve in the past year and had some issues.  Thanks for the updates to the menus and for uploading them here should someone else want to utilize some of your ANSI screens.

Beery

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Greg,

I think I got your request completed to add the "Last Callers" list to include the time and date in the listing.  First line will be caller, second line location, and third line will be date/time. I added a 4th line to put a line of "____________________" 40 characters wide to distinguish each call listing. I should have the update posted sometime this week.

Took a bit more effort than I originally anticipated as some data was pulled from the screen and copied around to fill in buffers since the list is buffered in memory rather than a file.  I was testing the scrolling off routine last night and I think all is well.  Just need to restore it from 4 users back to the reduced 20 users instead of the earlier 40 users that were held in memory.

Wolfgang, I haven't looked at the 80 column work yet for the Sysop's screen.

For anyone else following this thread I have a question.  Is there anyone else wanting to run the BBS software on a spare console but may not have the 8K ram/EA cart preventing them from running the program?  I only ask as there was a discussion in another topic about SAMS memory and paging memory like a mini-mem that gave me an idea that may be possible if someone was hardware limited.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, 9640News said:

Just a note, mytbox99.ddns.net port 61643 and thekeep.net port 9918 BBS's are not answering.

The bbs at mytbox99.ddns.net port 61644 is answering, just not the German line.

Hi, 

the mytbox99 on port 61643 is online again.

It looked like the program was blocked during an online session.

• Like 1