IGNORED

The Rescue Expedition

Philsan

Nowadays it's rare for me to finish a game but during last holidays I finished The Rescue Expedition.

I really enjoyed it.

It's a very good game with some unique features.

First of all the rope, you can freely throw it to the ceiling and swing, climb up or ride down, with nice physics.

The second feature I'd like to mention is dynamic illumination, based on player's position (check out picture 2 and 3).

Not unique but inusual for a game of this genre is the fact chambers elements are randomly generated: platforms, enemies, traps, treasures position change every time the game boots up.

Collectors will love the (nice price) package.

0.png.3a0d85b75f6d30b04212e22ed06ab8ee.png 1.png.25f50165f4cc37e9b80a764ec8f052b5.png 2.png.a05d875d926930f8f7fd537d7956c42f.png

521962888_TheRescueExpedition-1-2.thumb.jpg.08f68259ee78dcbb0389c4db8b40eba5.jpg 1155893714_TheRescueExpedition-back.thumb.png.d995a6884e87fd058d7a0a50cd92ebc7.png

Video: https://youtu.be/REzqxFKFAVA

• Like 13

Philsan - I'm glad you like the game. The idea of this illumination followed me for several years, and finally there was a game in which it could be used. Gorgh did a good job with programming.

Mytek - a long piece of rope (about 60 yards) were bought in a regular DIY store in Poland, and then cut into smaller pieces. :D 

• Like 4

On 1/16/2020 at 3:50 PM, Philsan said:

The second feature I'd like to mention is dynamic illumination, based on player's position (check out picture 2 and 3).

A similar thing was done on the 8-bit version of Nightshade -- although to a lesser degree. It didn't use DLI's, though, but rather quad-width PM's.

Nightshade (Fandal)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Kaz atarionline.pl said:

Philsan - I'm glad you like the game. The idea of this illumination followed me for several years, and finally there was a game in which it could be used. Gorgh did a good job with programming.

This  illumination effect shows how things should be done.

The Atari cannot show 256  colors at the same time, and hires only offers the different luma level of the background.

Less detail, less colors ? No problem! Make procedural color animations that enhance the game scene.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I received my copy of RE today. It managed to make it unscathed through the two postal systems. I like the packaging, but I do NOT like the cartridge, at least not the way mine was assembled. The screw that holds the case together is bulging and threatening to tear through the label, the case is loose, either because it was not assembled correctly or because the PCB does not properly fit the case! I can snap it shut, but it comes apart again. The PCB inside is loose and shifts around making it very difficult to plug in correctly and get good contact. And I can't do anything to correct the problem (if possible) because I'll probably destroy the label attempting to remove it to correct the problem (if possible). If this is the way all the cartridges are, then either a new case needs to be used or a PCB that properly fits! I would assume it's my bad luck of getting a cartridge like this though, else I think others would have complained already. This sucks!!! I won't be buying any more cartridges from Retronics unless this shit is fixed! I am VERY disappointed in this cartridge/assembly.:razz:

20200213_123142.jpg

20200213_123500.jpg

20200213_123616.jpg

20200213_123605.jpg

20200213_124937.jpg

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 2

Gunstar, please destroy the label and try to screw the enclosure. If it is faulty, I will ship replacement and a few loose labels. Unfortunately, this lot of enclosures has some poorly made pieces, I have noticed that too late. Next releases will be made in professional, Atari XEGS style carts - freshly manufactured.

I am sorry for that. 

• Like 4

@Duddie OK, will do as you say.

I did notice that my V.1 SSDX cart from @Dropcheck uses the same cartridge design, I think it was said that it's a Commodore designed case? Not an issue for me as I long ago modified my 1200XL cart port to fit the SSDX cart and subsequently every other cart that didn't fit. But she made the label side the side you used for the back and the screw side is the back, so it can be easily opened to change out the RTC battery or reprogram the chip with the latest version of SDX. It seems cart PCB's fit either way? Unless, of course, your choice was intentional to cut down on possible rom piracy by having to possibly destroy the label to open it?

Edited by Gunstar

3 hours ago, Duddie said:

Gunstar, please destroy the label and try to screw the enclosure. If it is faulty, I will ship replacement and a few loose labels. Unfortunately, this lot of enclosures has some poorly made pieces, I have noticed that too late. Next releases will be made in professional, Atari XEGS style carts - freshly manufactured.

I am sorry for that. 

What, re-release as an Atari XEGS style cart ?

That of course means I have to order it again. ;-)

Please let me know, if/when that happens...

5 hours ago, Duddie said:

I am sorry for that. 

I have removed the label, without too much damage, though I don't know how well it would re-stick. I noticed the screw was slightly angled (first pic, before I adjusted it), I attempted to correct this when I removed and re-screwed it back in. I was able to recess the screw head more, but it did not help to properly close the case or secure the board. I also flipped the board and tried it facing the way @Dropcheck 's SDX board faced, but that way the case half tilts to one side. Either due to the chip socket's proximity or the poorly made case that causes it not to close the other way.

20200215_115533.jpg

20200215_115942.jpg

20200215_120442.jpg

20200215_120419.jpg

Edited by Gunstar

Here it is, back together again, the way it came, with the screw recessed and not pushing against the label (did I set that label too low or too high?). Though the corners I peeled from don't stick down any more. But there is nothing that can be done, without my taking tools to the case and attempting to fix the issues.

The case molding does look a bit sloppy, and no trimming was done by the manufacturer, but the issue could likely also be, as I said, due to the socket on the PCB being too close to the case's screw stem. But the case halves appear to be slightly concave on the outside, convex on the inside so that screwing it tight doesn't help and may actually contribute to it. The edges then don't touch and interlock.

I can, of course center the PCB, and manage to plug it in using my SSDX cart's extension or my 1200XL cartridge extension of @Dropcheck 's, I've purposely moved it for show because this can happen while attempting to insert it directly in my 1200XL's modified-to-fit cartridge port.

20200215_122147.jpg

20200215_122118.jpg

20200215_122128.jpg

20200215_122109.jpg

I think these reflective label shots below reveal the case deformity, as well as the blank case shots in the previous post.

20200215_124123.jpg

20200215_124109.jpg

20200215_124041.jpg

Edited by Gunstar

After I re-worked the cartridge case by shortening one of the case half posts and trimming the side of the post halves were they would press against the PCB's chip socket, and changing out the screw for a shorter one, I managed to get the case to close properly, with the PCB flipped so the screw side is the back. but the PCB was loose inside, so I added rubber washer and foam as a spacer between the PCB and case on the bottom, taped in place which now holds the PCB tightly in place. Though I'd still appreciate a new case and new label decal to replace this twice removed and thrice applied label. I can use this re-worked case for a home-brew cartridge for myself.

20200215_204400.jpg

20200215_204413.jpg

20200215_204427.jpg

20200215_204421.jpg

20200215_204451.jpg

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 3

On 2/13/2020 at 7:51 PM, Gunstar said:

I received my copy of RE today. It managed to make it unscathed through the two postal systems. I like the packaging, but I do NOT like the cartridge, at least not the way mine was assembled. The screw that holds the case together is bulging and threatening to tear through the label, the case is loose, either because it was not assembled correctly or because the PCB does not properly fit the case! I can snap it shut, but it comes apart again. The PCB inside is loose and shifts around making it very difficult to plug in correctly and get good contact. And I can't do anything to correct the problem (if possible) because I'll probably destroy the label attempting to remove it to correct the problem (if possible). If this is the way all the cartridges are, then either a new case needs to be used or a PCB that properly fits! I would assume it's my bad luck of getting a cartridge like this though, else I think others would have complained already. This sucks!!! I won't be buying any more cartridges from Retronics unless this shit is fixed! I am VERY disappointed in this cartridge/assembly.:razz:

I received my copy last week, too and the shell seems to be like yours. For me it's not that big problem, as we all do this for hobby most. I will try to adjust the thing and everything is ok for me. The game is the aim here and it pays everything back ;)

• Like 1

I'm glad it works out for you o.k., but when I pay $59.44, with shipping, for a 'collectors edition' game, I expect it to be perfect, and have every right to expect that as a collector and gamer. If I were paying half that for a "slightly dis-formed" discount version, then it would be acceptable.

Edited by Gunstar