IGNORED

Atari User (UK) Issue DIsks

Mr Robot

I remember that Database publications used to sell a disk of the software from each issue of Atari User. Does anyone have any of those disks? I don't think I've ever seen one! I don't think you could subscribe to the disks the way you could with Antic and had to order the disk each month with a cutout in the mag.

I'm facinated to know if there was a menu or anything else included on the disk or if it was just a bunch of files on a disk

• Like 2

I'm sure I have the atr's somewhere and from memory they do have a crude menu...Trivial fact, even though I wrote for Atari User they never gave me a single magazine copy or disk bar the review ones that were often requested to be returned...Cheap gits

• Sad 1

I wonder how much Les Ellingham got burned when they sold him the subscriber list and rights to the name.

If you could find the disks and post them that would be great,  in all my stumbling around the net for Atari stuff I've never come across one, they can't have sold very well!

• Like 1

I 'think' these are them...

As you can see these are DD so perhaps they have been amalgamated by someone...PS boot with Basic...

I also have some Atari user gadget disks and util disks (atr's)

Atari User Games Disk 1.ATR Atari User Games Disk 2.ATR Atari User Games Disk 3.ATR Atari User Games Disk 4.ATR

• Like 4

They boot to SpartaDOS from '94 then load a menu so definitely not original disks but cool compliations!

Anything you have from Atari User would be appreciated, I'm trying to track everything down. If I can find just one original Atari User disk I can at least build the others by typing in everything we don't currently have, like @Allan did for the first and last Antic disks.

I looked at ANALOG as well but those disks are a mess as well, lots of disks with a single file on or missing menus etc.

8 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

They boot to SpartaDOS from '94 then load a menu so definitely not original disks but cool compliations!

Anything you have from Atari User would be appreciated, I'm trying to track everything down. If I can find just one original Atari User disk I can at least build the others by typing in everything we don't currently have, like @Allan did for the first and last Antic disks.

I looked at ANALOG as well but those disks are a mess as well, lots of disks with a single file on or missing menus etc.

Glad you like the menu, took me a while to get it how I like it all those years ago! IIRC, pressing Control + letter gives you the docs from the mag.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NuY said:

Glad you like the menu, took me a while to get it how I like it all those years ago! IIRC, pressing Control + letter gives you the docs from the mag.

Do you remember if these programs were ever released on disks from Database Publications? Or were they just all typed in?

5 minutes ago, Allan said:

Do you remember if these programs were ever released on disks from Database Publications? Or were they just all typed in?

I typed all of these myself, verified with GIR where available, and typed the docs from the mags. Had a couple of the tapes when I was a kid, but no disks.

Edit: there were disks available, but I wanted to make my own compilations - it's possible (without looking) that these compilations might contain some of the disk bonus programs.

Edited by NuY
  • Like 2