Jump to content
Vocelli

Season 9 ~ Week 23 ~ Paddle week

Recommended Posts

On 1/18/2020 at 12:54 PM, Tempest said:

Canyon Bomber: 1,019 (managed to clear a canyon)

 

sea2.thumb.JPG.10a8588a3f037f308d2add3371fa0e08.JPG

 

 

Sea Bomber: 610 - This isn't the variant for me.  I don't care for it.

sea1.thumb.JPG.94dd59ddec18dcd39c83f418ee47e074.JPG

Uh ... you cleared "a" canyon? 🤔

And I must confess ... I've played Canyon Bomber thousands of times in the past 40 years, and have seen others play this literally thousands of other times, and I've never seen anyone come even remotely CLOSE to getting double the CPU score, much less getting nearly triple. As a matter of fact, this feat is so remarkable, I'll pay $100 USD to you and anyone else on the planet who can provide video of themselves getting over 1,000 pts and getting more than 250% (not even 290%) of the CPU's score on Game 1BB.

Edited by ZilchSr
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, ZilchSr said:

Uh ... you cleared "a" canyon? 🤔

And I must confess ... I've played Canyon Bomber thousands of times in the past 40 years, and have seen others play this literally thousands of other times, and I've never seen anyone come even remotely CLOSE to getting double the CPU score, much less getting nearly triple. As a matter of fact, this feat is so remarkable, I'll pay $100 USD to you and anyone else on the planet who can provide video of themselves getting over 1,000 pts and getting more than 250% (not even 290%) of the CPU's score on Game 1BB.

Yeah you hit all the bricks and you get an entirely new canyon to go at.  The computer is out of misses at this point so you have it all to yourself.   It's not easy to do, but it's not impossible (almost did it twice).   OldManG, Deteacher, and Oyama did it too obviously because they beat my score. :)

 

Or are you talking about the computer's score?  The Computer seemed to literally just keep bombing, they didn't have much of a strategy and were out by the time the first canyon was 2/3 destroyed.  I remember this because I was thinking "this is the computer playing at a higher level?".   The computer never seemed to score too much in any of the games I played (yes it was 1 B/B with the redo bombs).  Sorry I don't have any video of it.  I suppose it's possible I have a bad rom, but I didn't see anything odd happening during the game.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tempest said:

Yeah you hit all the bricks and you get an entirely new canyon to go at.  The computer is out of misses at this point so you have it all to yourself.   It's not easy to do, but it's not impossible (almost did it twice).   OldManG, Deteacher, and Oyama did it too obviously because they beat my score. :)

 

Or are you talking about the computer's score?  The Computer seemed to literally just keep bombing, they didn't have much of a strategy and were out by the time the first canyon was 2/3 destroyed.  I remember this because I was thinking "this is the computer playing at a higher level?".   The computer never seemed to score too much in any of the games I played (yes it was 1 B/B with the redo bombs).  Sorry I don't have any video of it.  I suppose it's possible I have a bad rom, but I didn't see anything odd happening during the game.

Oh, that is indeed strange. The CPU in a normal CB game doesn't "run out of bombs". They have unlimited ammo, and not only that, they unlike the human player get unlimited misses, so they're literally bombing every second of the game, whereas it would be game over in about 45 second if a human player did that due to the missed shots that would naturally occur. Also, at 1,350 combined points, that usually indicates that at LEAST two canyons were cleared, and most likely a third canyon cleared as well. All very strange. Either way, congrats ... like I said, this scoring disparity, would absolutely be a world record, and furthermore, you have accomplished what no TAS has even been able to accomplish (meaning programmers took weeks if not months of manhours to develop algorithms that would ensure the most efficient and score-maximized inputs along with sprite detection) ... and this didnt just beat all existing TAS ... it beat them all by over 150%, which is also remarkable, because the only humans to ever beat a TAS on any game, on any platform, on any system in the entire history of video games, have only beat the TAS by 1% or less, and that's only after years and years of practice ... and you've beat them all by 150x that much. Amazing.

Edited by ZilchSr
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, ZilchSr said:

Oh, that is indeed strange. The CPU in a normal CB game doesn't "run out of bombs". They have unlimited ammo, and not only that, they unlike the human player get unlimited misses, so they're literally bombing every second of the game, whereas it would be game over in about 45 second if a human player did that due to the missed shots that would naturally occur. Also, at 1,350 combined points, that usually indicates that at LEAST two canyons were cleared, and most likely a third canyon cleared as well. All very strange. Either way, congrats ... like I said, this scoring disparity, would absolutely be a world record, and furthermore, you have accomplished what no TAS has even been able to accomplish (meaning programmers took weeks if not months of manhours to develop algorithms that would ensure the most efficient and score-maximized inputs along with sprite detection) ... and this didnt just beat all existing TAS ... it beat them all by over 150%, which is also remarkable, because the only humans to ever beat a TAS on any game, on any platform, on any system in the entire history of video games, have only beat the TAS by 1% or less, and that's only after years and years of practice ... and you've beat them all by 150x that much. Amazing.

 

Hmm... Ok that does sound like a glitch on my end then.  I'm sure I did the first variation B/B like the instructions said (I've never played this game before).  I'm using a harmony cart on real hardware.  I'll check it out again tonight and see if it does the same thing, if so I'll try and get some video.  It almost sounds like the game was actually in two player mode, not one player, but I can't see how that's possible.  Also if it was in two player mode the second player wouldn't be firing at all since the other paddle button isn't pushed down.  All I remember is that the computer was constantly firing and they did have a miss counter.

 

It just occurred to me that I have an Atari Vox plugged into the second port.  Could that be causing some sort of weird interference?  I can check on that.  I don't want to cheat on this, accidentally or otherwise.  Then again it's not like it's going to matter much since I'm not going to get into first place no matter what. :)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Tempest said:

 

Hmm... Ok that does sound like a glitch on my end then.  I'm sure I did the first variation B/B like the instructions said (I've never played this game before).  I'm using a harmony cart on real hardware.  I'll check it out again tonight and see if it does the same thing, if so I'll try and get some video.  It almost sounds like the game was actually in two player mode, not one player, but I can't see how that's possible.  Also if it was in two player mode the second player wouldn't be firing at all since the other paddle button isn't pushed down.  All I remember is that the computer was constantly firing and they did have a miss counter.

 

It just occurred to me that I have an Atari Vox plugged into the second port.  Could that be causing some sort of weird interference?  I can check on that.  I don't want to cheat on this, accidentally or otherwise.  Then again it's not like it's going to matter much since I'm not going to get into first place no matter what. :)

I wouldn't worry about people thinking this is a cheated score. It's not even in first place, nor would it have been when you submitted it. Usually when people cheat, they'll go full boar for the top spot (like submitting a meager score of 749 (&H02ED), yet getting to the 73rd (&H49) level on SCSIcide ... not humanly possible ... ask the programmer), certainly not for 4th place LOL! ;-)

 

Edited by ZilchSr
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, ZilchSr said:

certainly not for 4th place LOL! ;-)

 

All part of my plan to finish in 3rd place...

 

27d.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ZilchSr said:

Oh, that is indeed strange. The CPU in a normal CB game doesn't "run out of bombs". They have unlimited ammo, and not only that, they unlike the human player get unlimited misses, so they're literally bombing every second of the game, whereas it would be game over in about 45 second if a human player did that due to the missed shots that would naturally occur. Also, at 1,350 combined points, that usually indicates that at LEAST two canyons were cleared, and most likely a third canyon cleared as well. All very strange. Either way, congrats ... like I said, this scoring disparity, would absolutely be a world record, and furthermore, you have accomplished what no TAS has even been able to accomplish (meaning programmers took weeks if not months of manhours to develop algorithms that would ensure the most efficient and score-maximized inputs along with sprite detection) ... and this didnt just beat all existing TAS ... it beat them all by over 150%, which is also remarkable, because the only humans to ever beat a TAS on any game, on any platform, on any system in the entire history of video games, have only beat the TAS by 1% or less, and that's only after years and years of practice ... and you've beat them all by 150x that much. Amazing.

Just throwing this in there, one slice might be slightly relevant, the other is just me bragging on myself...

:D

If you check my 1050 score on game 7(at TG), you'll see, it just looks messed up, the picture is horrible, almost PALish on an NTSC setup.

Well, I had two copies of the game, and also access to play on the Harmony, and all were just "messed up".

I got another copy incidentally(I think with a 7800 purchase), a year or so ago, tried it out and it worked fine, I didn't think much about it.

Anyway, when this game came up for the HSC, I just, "for the hell of it" tried my other carts...

They all work fine now. Same Atari, same TV, it just completely boggles me, as I've never really had any "glitch" problems on 2600, the hardware is just solid.

So if there is a 2600 game capable of just "acting screwy", I've seen this one do it with my own eyes.

 

Lol, the bragging part...

Not sure if you know, I've actually beaten a TAS, took me about 15 minutes...

:D

Snoopy's Silly Sports Spectacular, on NES, "Boat Throw" or something, you are Snoopy and have to push Spike out of a boat, I think TAS was 2.2, I got 2.1.

:)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rogerpoco said:

you are Snoopy and have to push Spike out of a boat, I think TAS was 2.2, I got 2.1.

:)

1. Snoopy was always kinduva jerk LMAO! Poor Spike 😞

2. Is the 2.1/2.2 a time, score, or a rating? (like Olympic diving, figure skating, gymnastics, etc.)
If it's a time measurement, then depending on the hundredths, it could very be within the 1% threshold. If it's a score measurement, then it's within 4.7% which is remarkable! Uh ... just not nearly as remarkable as 150% 😝

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ZilchSr said:

1. Snoopy was always kinduva jerk LMAO! Poor Spike 😞

2. Is the 2.1/2.2 a time, score, or a rating? (like Olympic diving, figure skating, gymnastics, etc.)
If it's a time measurement, then depending on the hundredths, it could very be within the 1% threshold. If it's a score measurement, then it's within 4.7% which is remarkable! Uh ... just not nearly as remarkable as 150% 😝

It's timed-is really just a "button masher".

:)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Canyon Bomber Game 1BB:1054

Even managing to peek at the top of these leaderboards blows me away...

Got to the third Canyon, managed to keep my cool!

 

2600CanyonBomber1054.png

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Game 1:  496

Game 7:  240

 

 

Photo2169.jpg

Photo2170.jpg

Edited by Mister-VCS
First score game7
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...