IGNORED

Rejuvenating rubber belts?

ZuluGula

Does anyone have experience in giving extra life to old drive belts, tape rollers and other rubber parts? What kind of chemicals you use? I am trying to refurbish couple of disk drives. Quick search lead me to products like MG 408A and Sprayway 203. Maybe some other homemade solutions?

1050 drive belts are at least somewhat easy to source just replace with new ones instead of stopgap workarounds. Best Electronics has them for both Tandon & WST mechs. (And I presume for 810 MPI's and Tandons too)

or these guys have a convenient online option:

https://console5.com/store/parts/belts.html?cat=341

I wonder if their Apple shugart belt will work for an 810...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, ZuluGula said:

Cleaning is one thing, but what about making rubber more elastic and softer?

Vinegar. Your title says "rejuvenating" not cleaning, and my solution works. It's from vast experience. Try it on your old windshield wipers that don't quite wipe as they once did. Regular application of vinegar will maintain rubber too.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/17/2020 at 12:54 AM, _The Doctor__ said:

less alcohol more oil of wintergreen.. ;)  but only on certain belts

always do a test spot or test belt before going all in.

I was bored one day so I snagged a small bottle of methyl salicylate from the chemistry cabinet and took it to a boring math class and poured it on the baseboard radiators. INSTANT powerful eye-wateringly powerful Wintergreen!

It was great! they cleared the room and cancelled math class that day with all the windows open. :)

That was many years ago, of course. (But it's still funny) :)

• Haha 3

My mother worked as a Secretary for a mint distributor back in the 90's and she used to bring little glass sample bottles of pure mint oil home on occasion and that stuff was potent. All she had to do was open the bottle for a second and the house smelled like mint for days. She always smelled like mint, but mostly stayed in the office area, not the warehouse. I think it was the base mint oils that everything else is derived from. They had a warehouse full of 50 gallon drums of different mint oils. I never tried it on rubber though, but I'm apt to believe it would work; there's always more than one way to skin a cat. 

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

you could try silicone spray. its what car guys use for softening crusty rubber door seals so they go watertight and upvc windows people use it for doing the same reason on rubber door and window seals

have used it on both and can confirm it does revitalise old rubber.

• Like 1

In lieu of putting effort into rejuvenating belts for the disk drives at least, new drive belts are available for 810M, 810T, 1050 Tandon & 1050 WST from Best Electronics. (Minimum order requirements notwithstanding)

And for the 810 & 1050 Tandons, can be purchased online from Console5 for a reasonable price:

https://console5.com/store/fabric-reinforced-belt-for-atari-1050-tandon-ibm-pcjr-qumetrak-142-floppy-drive-spindle.html

Interesting they indicate "for Atari 1050, Tandon TM100" - which suggests that the Tandon TM100 in the 810 and the Tandon TM50 in the 1050 use the same size drive belt? I didn't know this - and have not tested myself. That's good to know if true.

For the 810 at least, you can loosen the drive motor, and move it slightly to increase the tension with the old belt which might give a bit more life out of an old belt. I don't think the motor in the 1050/TM50 mech can be moved like this.

• Thanks 1

On 3/22/2020 at 10:44 PM, STE'86 said:

you could try silicone spray. its what car guys use for softening crusty rubber door seals so they go watertight and upvc windows people use it for doing the same reason on rubber door and window seals

have used it on both and can confirm it does revitalise old rubber.

Silicone sounds kind of slippery to me to be used on a belt.