IGNORED

Writing for the XEP80

Bee

Yes - Basic because I have a bunch of things already written in basic.  I'm currently using the XEP80 driver in Sparta Dos.  I will have a stab at making a bob term Disk.

@Mathy Thanks I had a read through and learned a lot.

Thank you.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

bobterm module files are sometimes slightly modified drivers... you can rename them to what they are, I usually leave there real names and copy the ones I am using to modulex.btm or whatever the convention is x=0,1,2,3 etc... I may be slightly off but bobterm has documentation so If you read it, chances are the good information is there.

• Like 1

I haven't had my XEP80 out in years, but I remember that I never got past the horrible overscan issue -- I got something like 78 columns and 23+a half rows.  I remember researching it enough that I believed that the root cause was in the ROM.  Has anyone ever fixed that?  I believe that under Altirra, it is not an issue, but I'm referring to real hardware.

-Larry

It's a combination of hardware and firmware. The hardware is limited in that it can only place vertical sync within one character row of the end of the display. Atari should have put blank rows at the beginning and end, but instead they just hugely overscanned it.

I ship a XEPVHOLD.COM program now with Altirra that reprograms the XEP80 for less overscan and better video timing so the display is less likely to roll on modern TVs. It shortens the character rows slightly and unfortunately cuts off descenders a bit, but that's unavoidable without reprogramming the character set ROM.

• Like 3