IGNORED

What's your favorite Atari magazine cover?

Gunstar

I was browsing through my old collection of Atari magazines this morning, and came across my favorite and most memorable Atari magazine cover, out of the half-dozen different Atari magazines (publishers, not amount!:rolling:) I have in my collection. And so I thought I'd start a thread and see what some of the Atari 8-bit communities' favorite Atari magazine covers are for magazines that covered (but necessarily exclusive too, so even a magazine like Compute! counts) Atari 8-bits.

I did a simple search to see if a topic like this had come up before, because the idea seemed familiar to me, and even me posting a picture of this magazine before, but the search didn't turn anything up, so I decided to start a new topic-sorry if this is a re-run.

My favorite Atari magazine cover is Analog issue 58, October 1987.

20200118_094914.jpg

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Allan said:

That is a really good one, and an issue I don't own, and an issue I don't recall seeing, even though I'm pretty sure I downloaded the PDF's all one at a time by clicking on the cover art thumbnails on Atarimania. I'll have to visit my Antic PDF folder. It came out the year before I bought my first Atari, the 130XE in August of 1985. the first issues I ever bought of Antic and Analog are these:

20200118_124110.jpg

My first Analog I found on the magazine racks a couple weeks after I got my XE, Issue 34, September 1985  and then my first Antic I discovered at another bookstore was in January of '86, volume 4, number 9. Before that I only bought Compute! which is where I first heard of the "New Atari Corp." and Jack Tramiel formerly of Commodore and the new XE line. I still have my original Compute! collection too, starting a year before in '84 when I was taking BASIC programming in high school on Apple IIe's. I wanted a 128K 6502 based computer with Microsoft Basic available for a price I could afford, and the 130XE was it.  So I never had anything before that until recent years when I've collected a few issues off of eBay or downloaded the PDF's.

Edited by Gunstar

June 1984 Antic — no contest! Although it should be the April ‘84 issue, as that was the first computer magazine I ever bought, at the World’s Biggest Bookstore (the actual name of the store) in downtown Toronto. They marked down old Antics to a dollar after they’d been out for a few weeks.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, davidcalgary29 said:

June 1984 Antic — no contest! Although it should be the April ‘84 issue, as that was the first computer magazine I ever bought, at the World’s Biggest Bookstore (the actual name of the store) in downtown Toronto. They marked down old Antics to a dollar after they’d been out for a few weeks.

Come on! show us a pic! At least a direct link to one. Don't make us go looking!:-o I guess it's my fault though, as I didn't ask for pictures when I started the thread, I just assumed everyone would follow suit. Sorry. And no, you don't have too...

Edited by Gunstar

Analog_Computing_13_1983-09_Space_Assault_Roundup_0000.jp2&scale=8&rotate=0

ABOUT THE COVER

This issue, we decided to give our camera a break. Instead of force-feeding it vast amounts of light, we turned our cover over to the talents of Michael D. Law, a "mobile" artist who was kind enough to make a stopover in Massachusetts for us. Michael has done quite a bit of work in the field of science fiction and fantasy, although he has done work in other fields and is comfortable with a variety of styles. The cover for this issue was inspired by the work of Swiss surrealist H.R. Giger, whose nightmarish designs have appeared in numerous books and magazines, and were showcased in Ridley Scott's film "ALIEN." The ATARI logo may never appear in a more imaginative setting — but then again, keep watching our covers.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Gunstar said:

Come on! show us a pic! At least a direct link to one. Don't make us go looking!:-o I guess it's my fault though, as I didn't ask for pictures when I started the thread, I just assumed everyone would follow suit. Sorry. And no, you don't have too...

The downside of browsing with an iPod. You know the cover: it’s the one with Indiana Jones (or twin) descending into the cartridge slot of an XL. :)

1 hour ago, davidcalgary29 said:

The downside of browsing with an iPod. You know the cover: it’s the one with Indiana Jones (or twin) descending into the cartridge slot of an XL. :)

I remember seeing that one before, whether online or from an ad in an '85 issue for back-issues...another before my Atari time, besides the VCS that is...I've got it, I'm sure, on PDF in a folder somewhere on my PC, well, everything is in an Atari umbrella folder, but there are tons of sub-directories...

Edit: Found it, pretty cool cover, I especially like the back-cover ad with the great Synapse Software titles.

Edited by Gunstar

Antic, August 1983.  I remember buying this issue the month our 800 arrived (also August 1983), and then spending an hour or two typing in the 3D Fuji program (p. 22) during an all-night hangout with a few fellow computer nerds the weekend before school started late that month.

image.thumb.png.d8b28c5ff7596dee3eeff19897816773.png

Full magazine scan here:  https://archive.org/details/1983-08-anticmagazine

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Antic, August 1983.  I remember buying this issue the month our 800 arrived (also August 1983), and then spending an hour or two typing in the 3D Fuji program (p. 22) during an all-night hangout with a few fellow computer nerds the weekend before school started late that month.

image.thumb.png.d8b28c5ff7596dee3eeff19897816773.png

Full magazine scan here:  https://archive.org/details/1983-08-anticmagazine

We need a January 2020 Antic cover: RastaConverter image winners! Take THAT, Fun With Art!

• Like 1

Analog #46 - a fantastic issue (LA Machine was a awesome utility)....

Analog_Computing_46_1986-09_June_CES_Report_0000.thumb.jpg.4d343c14b92e75d2151fff26304f1fba.jpg

Funnily enough despite being UK based I was never a fan of Atari User, it's content was so many years behind the US and it was written in a rather prosaic way - but I did love Page 6 from issue 1, sadly their covers were much more fanzine, so not memorable ? 

sTeVE

• Like 1

I was trying not to show any bias for Page 6, since me, my Dad and my brother all wrote for it at various points... but still. They had an era in the middle of their lifetime with some nice art. I always like the Munchy Madness cover art as I thought it had a nice "dynamic" sense of movement about it. That picture made me want to actually type that monster in!

image.thumb.png.f23843ce8d8201a6839e548fe5c2d57c.png

I also have a real soft spot for the cheesy photos used in the glossy newsstand era around when they changed over to New Atari User.

image.thumb.png.25a57658221668fe1f476e9e22b15d98.png

I remember being there for a couple of those photoshoots. Several of them were just Les' family posing!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, pjedavison said:

I feel the need for some UK representation in this thread!

I always liked Atari User's covers. This one stands out for me because of the beautifully vibrant colours. Also I remember enjoying the game quite a bit, too!

image.thumb.png.77077948be04bb32a83ff108409477a9.png

I don’t know...wouldn’t a 1200XL have been a much wiser choice for a flotation device? And, literally, been much more a propos for a commercial metaphor for this cover?

• Haha 3

On 1/18/2020 at 1:35 PM, Gunstar said:

That is a really good one, and an issue I don't own, and an issue I don't recall seeing, even though I'm pretty sure I downloaded the PDF's all one at a time by clicking on the cover art thumbnails on Atarimania. I'll have to visit my Antic PDF folder. It came out the year before I bought my first Atari, the 130XE in August of 1985. the first issues I ever bought of Antic and Analog are these:

20200118_124110.jpg

My first Analog I found on the magazine racks a couple weeks after I got my XE, Issue 34, September 1985  and then my first Antic I discovered at another bookstore was in January of '86, volume 4, number 9. Before that I only bought Compute! which is where I first heard of the "New Atari Corp." and Jack Tramiel formerly of Commodore and the new XE line. I still have my original Compute! collection too, starting a year before in '84 when I was taking BASIC programming in high school on Apple IIe's. I wanted a 128K 6502 based computer with Microsoft Basic available for a price I could afford, and the 130XE was it.  So I never had anything before that until recent years when I've collected a few issues off of eBay or downloaded the PDF's.

That was my first Antic as well!   Funny the memories that cover brings back.   Around the time I got it, I remember going on a ski trip, discovering that skiing wasn't for me, then seeing Gauntlet for the first time in the ski lodge, and instantly became my new favorite game.  I came home, got really sick and poured through that Issue.  I remember seeing "Dandy Dungeon" in the software section in the middle and thinking that kinda looks like Gauntlet.   Little did I know that Gauntlet was directly inspired by it!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Rusto said:

This was the first computer magazine I bought - apologies for it not being Atari exclusive! The cover caught my eye and the 800 review eventually set me off in a computing career and started an interest in Atari 8-bit that's as strong today. 

pcw.jpg

Loved that issue!

• Like 1