IGNORED

HSC17 Round 1: JOUST

4 hours ago, mimo said:

80200 ADVANCED

still can't better my score on Skilled which is so frustrating 

I'm stuck in the no improvement zone but it does have the one more go factor - I like to wait in one of the gaps and try and delicately float land on as many fledglings as I can. Avoid tackling them in the top area, lure them down.

I've contacted another bunch of atariagers and have had a couple of responses so there may be a few more players joining in soon 8)

• Like 1

2-player game with slxjr, scored 31.050 (Skilled).

slxjr scored 37000 (was 37K+something but Wine/Altirra crashed like it always does when the Stelladaptor has a brief interruption)

slxjr did not really enjoy it but said he could understand why I like it. 

• Like 2

A more than creditable 20 players already so here's the latest table. Nice to see some HSCers return to action and a couple of new contestants :thumbsup: Hope I've not missed anyone out!

The Round 2 Poll is >>>OPEN<<< again it's multi-pick so please vote for all the games you would like to play. The Joust ends Sunday 2nd Feb 10pm UK time (5pm EST) ?

*JOUST*

1st   Starbug           898,200  12pts
  2nd   RedThunder           377,400  11pts
  3rd   therealbountybob             242,850  10pts
  4th   Mr Trust                          219,250  9pts
  5th   Deteacher                       178,900  9pts
  6th   Mrs RT                           137,300  8pts
  7th   McKong                          133,300  8pts
  8th   slx                                121,300  7pts
  9th   mimo                            114,000  7pts
 10th   Mister-VCS                    106,750  6pts
 11th   Mangia-Boy                   104,750  6pts
 12th   McKong Bro                    75,400  5pts
 13th   carlsson                         71,650  5pts
 14th   Sikor                              64,150  4pts
 15th   pusakat                          62,500  4pts
 16th   devwebcl                        58,600  3pts
 17th   roadrunner                      51,100  3pts
 18th   jblenkle                          48,600  2pts
 19th   4Ks                               47,100  2pts
 20th   jedimatt42                     36,300  2pts

2-Player Bonus Challenge - post lowest players score

RedThunder & Mrs RT                68,250     1pt each

slx & slx jr                               37,000     1pt each

Pterry Slayers Fun Challenge!

See RT's video for how to do it, I wonder how many takes that took, he makes the fearsome pterry look like a little sparrow being fed a worm by his mother :D

RedThunder 3

Starbug 2

trbb -24 :-o

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, therealbountybob said:

you didn't see the minus sign then :grin:

Ah, read it as a dash! No luck then? ? They are so difficult to kill, I only average maybe 1 every 2 games, and the games are quite long. It's just not worth the amounts of lives you would lose trying to kill them intentionally

We seem to have a different strategy, I actually prefer to work from the top. Once the Birds 'turn' after what, 2 passes of the screen on Expert?, I'll drop down and try catch them before they off themselves in the lava/soup. So my priority is to take out as many from the top before they turn (sometimes only a couple or none if I'm honest), but taking out 3 or 4 before they go mental really helps. Sometimes all you can do on the Pterry waves is catch 1 or 2, drop down and wait for the mass suicides, there'll be plenty of points going in the next round

Skilled difficulty. NTSC, 131,300...I played it enough to get bored before I got better. I'll ease into the HSC and not try and go for the gold on a game I was only ever "good" at. It's been a few years since I played the A8 or any version too.

This is a really good version of the game, one of the best home versions, but I kept wishing I was playing a @TIX and @playsoft hacked/enhanced version with some multi-colored player sprites at least. Good ol' Terry could use a face-lift as well. My guess is TIX would need Playsoft in this case, it needs more than just shifting pixels, with one color sprites. Maybe more could be done for color by utilizing the missile sprites better? I'm assuming the other two players and missiles are being multiplexed for the enemies?

It looks like I'll slip in about number ten, a couple down from @DrVenkman until someone knocks me lower.

20200128_110516.jpg

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

This is a really good version of the game, one of the best home versions, but I kept wishing I was playing a @TIX and @playsoft hacked/enhanced version with some multi-colored player sprites at least. Good ol' Terry could use a face-lift as well.

The 7800 version has that, plus more arcade-accurate physics (the A8/5200 versions are sort of “floaty” and the difference is obvious). That said, the A8 version was one of my absolute faves as a kid. I’m going to give it another go tonight. :)

• Like 1

I had a 7800 for years, and yes that was the best 8-bit version at least, though I've only ever played the arcade, 2600, 8-bit and 7800 versions. I've seen videos and screen shots of most others. Though I collected a few bargain-bin classics like Joust, for my 7800 (I got it about '89/90), the main reason I bothered to stray from my XE were the titles not released on the 8-bit line, some that protos and beta's have been found now, like Commando, Tower Toppler, Ikari Warriors, Xenophobe. I've heard a rumor Ikari Warriors exists, but it's yet to surface to the public.

I have some Atari Explorer magazines from that period with a review of Xenophobe and others, and Ikari Warriors is listed in the game catalog for Atari Direct in that same issue(s). I have all of those titles, except for Ikari, on my 8-bit now, and all are close enough to the 7800 versions that I don't miss it so much. Along with all the great classics that have hacked "arcade" versions now, some even better than their 7800 counterparts. 7800 Xevious is the only one I really miss. A8/5200 prototype Xevious isn't bad, but needs finishing touches on sprites, etc., but still wouldn't compare to the 7800 version. Sometimes you just can't beat the ability to have 100 sprites on-screen, even with more ram.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, carlsson said:

^^ It even looks like 432,550 per the screenshot but who's counting 9000 points more or less?

RedThunder is counting it so thanks corrected ;)

Votes please everyone -  Round 2 Poll >>>OPEN<<<

it's multi-pick so please vote for all the games you would like to play. The Joust ends Sunday 2nd Feb 10pm UK time (5pm EST) ?

3 hours ago, killersquirel said:

My current high score is 204,500. This was played on "skilled" skill level on my MiSTer.

Welcome (back?) killersquirrel :thumbsup:

I didn't know what a MiSTer was so here's a link for anyone else:

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

ok I've got my latest assemble running so I'm definitely updating those tables...

• Like 1

latest tables

The multi-pick Round 2 Poll is >>>OPEN<<< so please vote for all the games you would like to play. The Joust ends Sunday 2nd Feb 10pm UK time (5pm EST) ?

*JOUST*

1st   Starbug             898,200  12pts
  2nd   therealbountybob  432,550  11pts
  3rd   RedThunder                     377,400  10pts

4th   Mr Trust                        219,250  9pts
  5th   killersquirel                   204,500  9pts
  6th   Deteacher                     178,900  9pts
  7th   DrVenkman                    159,600  8pts
  8th   Mrs RT                          137,300  8pts
  9th   McKong                         133,300  8pts
 10th   Gunstar                        131,300  7pts
 11th   slx                               121,300  7pts
 12th   mimo                           114,000  7pts
 13th   Mister-VCS                   106,750  6pts
 14th   Mangia-Boy                  104,750  6pts
 15th   McKong Bro                    75,400  5pts
 16th   carlsson                        73,900  5pts
 17th   Sikor                            71,400  4pts
 18th   pusakat                        62,500  4pts
 19th   devwebcl                      58,600  3pts
 20th   roadrunner                    51,100  3pts
 21st   jblenkle                        48,600  2pts
 22nd   4Ks                             47,100  2pts
 23rd   jedimatt42                    36,300  2pts

2-Player Bonus Challenge - post lowest players score

RedThunder & Mrs RT                68,250     1pt each

slx & slx jr                               37,000     1pt each

Pterry Slayers Fun Challenge!

See RT's how to video for how to do it

RedThunder 3

Starbug 2

carlsson 1

trbb 1

• Like 1

288450 - Advanced. I think I'll move up to Expert and see how that goes.

Played this one a lot as a kid, but I would set it on Novice and just play indefinitely with no pterodactyls. So that doesn't help me much now.  :-D

I do remember the "slingshot" or "trampoline" move that lets you bounce off the ceiling at high speed. Makes this version special.

Fun!

20200129_224933.thumb.jpg.56b5d409851048129d4830d0fb8e2860.jpg

• Like 4

I doubt I'll improve much on this game and it's a huge step up to the next level. I might put the A8 to rest for a day or two and try out some of the clone versions on the C64, just to compare with the "original" now that I've played it a little. There might even be a gem or two there for the people doing conversions to consider, if it really is the case that no Joust clones are known for the A8. Not that it might need them, but pretty much every other iconic game genre has at least one or two clones, often inferior but sometimes adding a new flair to it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carlsson said:

I doubt I'll improve much on this game and it's a huge step up to the next level. I might put the A8 to rest for a day or two and try out some of the clone versions on the C64, just to compare with the "original" now that I've played it a little. There might even be a gem or two there for the people doing conversions to consider, if it really is the case that no Joust clones are known for the A8. Not that it might need them, but pretty much every other iconic game genre has at least one or two clones, often inferior but sometimes adding a new flair to it.

I think the eariler comment about the game being pretty much perfect is right, the skill levels really do mean something here, on some games it's hard to tell. Be interesting to see what you find out.

Have you done any work on that Pro(c) Mag "games from 2019 column" - (you can miss out the 10 liners or maybe mention a couple of them). I think we have about 50 of the 100 pages so far :)