IGNORED

HSC17 Round 1: JOUST

2 minutes ago, therealbountybob said:

Have you done any work on that Pro(c) Mag "games from 2019 column"

I've been thinking about it but not gotten around to write anything yet. ? Perhaps I can have a go soon before I forget it again. It striked me that I've only played a handful of the highest ranked games, but perhaps someone else is writing about the best games so it could be merged with the "middle of the pack" text I might be writing.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, carlsson said:

I've been thinking about it but not gotten around to write anything yet. ? Perhaps I can have a go soon before I forget it again. It striked me that I've only played a handful of the highest ranked games, but perhaps someone else is writing about the best games so it could be merged with the "middle of the pack" text I might be writing.

Yes don't worry about any detail or review (you are welcome [anyone] to do reviews separately), just a paragraph/couple of lines like you did in HSC16 R20 to give people the gist - you've done over half of them already, page through fandal's news and the Kaz-Kompo thread for the others (unfortunately the 10 liners are not separated on the later).

The thread returns to Joust :ponder:

• Like 2

19 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

Welcome (back?) killersquirrel :thumbsup:

I didn't know what a MiSTer was so here's a link for anyone else:

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

ok I've got my latest assemble running so I'm definitely updating those tables...

Thank you. The MiSTer will make it a lot easier for me to participate as I always have that hooked up to my main TV. For those that haven't heard of the MiSTer project, it is an FPGA system that is open source. It is not an emulator and basically "simulates" the logic in the actual system that you are playing a core of. If you are interested in getting a MiSTer setup feel free to IM me and I will pass along information on where to get a complete setup or answer any questions.

It has tons of cores to choose from to play all kinds of computer, console, and arcade games. On the Atari 8-bit side it can change between PAL and NTSC on the fly and also has dual pokey support. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, killersquirel said:

Thank you. The MiSTer will make it a lot easier for me to participate as I always have that hooked up to my main TV. For those that haven't heard of the MiSTer project, it is an FPGA system that is open source. It is not an emulator and basically "simulates" the logic in the actual system that you are playing a core of. If you are interested in getting a MiSTer setup feel free to IM me and I will pass along information on where to get a complete setup or answer any questions.

It has tons of cores to choose from to play all kinds of computer, console, and arcade games. On the Atari 8-bit side it can change between PAL and NTSC on the fly and also has dual pokey support. 

I've been thinking of building one, I have tried Raspberry pie and retropie but can't get on with it. Have you compared the two? What do you think.

I'd probably have to sell a real Atari or two to fund it hence sitting on the fence

9 hours ago, mimo said:

I've been thinking of building one, I have tried Raspberry pie and retropie but can't get on with it. Have you compared the two? What do you think.

I'd probably have to sell a real Atari or two to fund it hence sitting on the fence

There is no comparison with a raspberry pie. The MiSTer isn't emulation, the FPGA is rewritten every time you load a new core. The FPGA actually simulates the system on a hardware level. The Atari 8 bit core is as good as real hardware. I would actually say it's better because it has dual pokey support, and you can change settings on the fly so PAL and NTSC will not be an issue. It is totally worth the price of admission. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RedThunder said:

Yes. Crack on :)

:thumbsup:

12 hours ago, STARBUG said:

Slight improvement for me

953,600 Expert

I have one more session today but unless Dope plays or Mrs RT has locked RT in with the Atari and a limited amount of oxygen you might be on for that first win ;)

2 hours ago, zylon said:

96,950 via ressurected XEGS

XEGS "EGGS" :rolling:

• Like 1

Nice to see so many of you taking part again :thumbsup:

Still time to vote Round 2 Poll (pick all the games you would like to play). If I don't get time tonight I'll put R2 on in the morning. Late scores are ok for this round if anyone misses it, want to get everyone on board ship for the voyage ahead:ahoy:

Here are the latest tables

*JOUST*

1st   Starbug           898,200  12pts
  2nd   RedThunder          511,000  11pts
  3rd   therealbountybob           432,550  10pts

4th   graywest                       288,450  9pts

5th   Mr Trust                        219,250  9pts
  6th   killersquirel                   204,500  9pts
  7th   Deteacher                     178,900  8pts
  8th   DrVenkman                   159,600  8pts
  9th   Mrs RT                         137,300  8pts
 10th   McKong                        133,300  7pts
 11th   Gunstar                       131,300  7pts
 12th   slx                              121,300  7pts
 13th   mimo                          114,000  6pts
 14th   Mister-VCS                   106,750  6pts
 15th   Mangia-Boy                  104,750  6pts
 16th   Zylon                            96,950  5pts
 17th   Fallout_002                   79,400  5pts
 18th   McKong Bro                   75,400  5pts
 19th   carlsson                       73,900  4pts
 20th   Sikor                           71,400  4pts
 21st   pusakat                       62,500  4pts
 22nd   Gury                           60,400  3pts
 23rd   devwebcl                     58,600  3pts
 24th   roadrunner                   51,100  3pts
 25th   jblenkle                      48,600  2pts
 26th   4Ks                            47,100  2pts
 27th   jedimatt42                  36,300  2pts

2-Player Bonus Challenge - post lowest players score

RedThunder & Mrs RT                68,250     1pt each

slx & slx jr                               37,000     1pt each

Pterry Slayers Fun Challenge!

See RT's how to get them video

RedThunder 4

Starbug 2

carlsson 1

trbb 1

41 minutes ago, RedThunder said:

Chapeau to you brave jouster Sir Starbug ?

Why thank you kind sir!

I should add, that was the longest game of Joust I've ever played, I'd say an hour or thereabouts, and I didn't slay a single Pterry in that game (got killed by them quite a bit though)