JetSetIlly

Gopher2600 - v0.15.0

Demo video of the emulator running the excellent Game Of The Bear @vhzc.

This demonstrates the rewind system now that it is available from the "playmode". There's no OSD yet but hopefully it is obvious when the rewind is being applied.

• Like 4

Video showing new audio engine. This is a straight reimplementation of @Crispy research and is the same as 6502.ts and Stella. Sounds pretty good I think.

The video also shows a new Audio Tracker window. Early stages of development yet but it's helped me track down a bug so it could be useful for regular development work too.

Thanks to @DirtyHairy for pointing me in the right direction for the engine implementation.

Edited by JetSetIlly
  • Like 4

Another demo video of the tracker window. This time with piano keys.

I'm quite pleased I can do this sort of stuff in regular playmode without any performance drop. It opens up other possibilities too I think.

• Like 7

Version 0.15.

Major change this version is the ability to switch between debugger and play mode with the key below the escape key - tilde key on US keyboard (the same default key as in Stella).

There is also a ROM requester that will show on startup meaning that the emulator can be now be launched from the desktop. The requester window will show a thumbnail for all supported ROMs.

Performance is also improved I would say and there is a new interference effect in the CRT emulation.

Full changelog on the release page: https://github.com/JetSetIlly/Gopher2600/releases/tag/v0.15.0

Some features are better shown rather than described so I made a short video illustrating some of the most interesting ones introduced this version. (Best viewed in HD 60fps)

I've tried adding an icon to the Windows binary but it's not that successful yet. It definitely needs some work. It's based on a fun logo I made this morning. The logo works but it's too complex for an icon.

logo4_bg.thumb.png.ecdfdcf194f05e500ac25d9e1e421771.png

As ever, feedback is welcome.

• Like 6

I was watching game 4 of the Chess World Championship this afternoon and stared thinking about computer chess. Specifically, whether I could get Video Chess to play against an external chess engine. Here's the first attempt. Video Chess is playing black.

It should work against any standard chess engine but in this instance I'm using Stockfish.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JetSetIlly said:

I was watching game 4 of the Chess World Championship this afternoon and stared thinking about computer chess. Specifically, whether I could get Video Chess to play against an external chess engine. Here's the first attempt. Video Chess is playing black.

It should work against any standard chess engine but in this instance I'm using Stockfish.

Ha... very neat indeed!  I had a dream of getting my chess engine to play online engines via PlusCart, but that never eventuated.

8 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

Ha... very neat indeed!  I had a dream of getting my chess engine to play online engines via PlusCart, but that never eventuated.

That sounds achievable. You should finish that project off.

A longer video of Video Chess playing Stockfish.

The bot is moving a little bit quicker now. I don't think I can't get it going any quicker though because of how Video Chess works. I certainly don't think I can just poke values into memory but I could be wrong on that.

This version of the bot is working only with visual and audio cues. There is no direct access of the emulation's memory.

The plan is to extend this framework to other games but obviously, most other games are more complex so that will be quite a challenge. Combat would be a good second project I think.

• Like 1

First attempt at a bot capable of playing Space Jockey.

It's very basic but I'm pleased with how I'm doing this. Like the VideoChess bot this is doing "real" monitoring of the screen and "real" joystick control. No reading of RAM or anything like that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JetSetIlly said:

First attempt at a bot capable of playing Space Jockey.

It's very basic but I'm pleased with how I'm doing this. Like the VideoChess bot this is doing "real" monitoring of the screen and "real" joystick control. No reading of RAM or anything like that.

cool, but you should tell your bot to avoid the enemy's missiles ;-)

Just now, Al_Nafuur said:

cool, but you should tell your bot to avoid the enemy's missiles ;-)

Heh. Indeed. That's work for tomorrow 🙂