IGNORED

Atari XEGS Green Screen

Exactmidnight

I am in the middle of repairing or attempting to repair an Atari xegs for a local customer. I’m not new to fixing things (I have a multimeter, soldiering iron, etc) but this Atari has me stumped. It’s already had ram chips replaced, but still shows up green when I plug it in with or without the keyboard. However when I accidentally shorted these two resistors (I think) the image on the screen went from green to tripping out. I need help pleaseF536BD1A-9794-499C-B983-00F3293ECCB9.thumb.jpeg.43ea42f55accdf5645beeeccbea52cac.jpeg

2AA2E1B1-561D-4220-8B41-97710286261A.jpeg

EA3CC1FA-2D09-44D9-9A70-D6B3A7B4D2F0.jpeg

Edited by Exactmidnight
Forgot to add it’s an Atari xegs

As I recall, the last time I had an XEGS which booted to a green screen, it turned out to be a toasted CPU.  The previous owner had made the mistake of connecting it to a C64 power supply.  :o

(Definitely try replacing the OS ROM first, though; it's the easier of the two to replace, especially if you have an EPROM burner.)

As previously mentioned, the OS ROM is a common failure point, but a27c256 EPROM is an easy drop-in replacement. If you don't have the means to program one yourself, PM me and I should be able mail you a programmed chip for $5 USD total.

I notice all the chips are nicely socketed - was this your work? That will make it easy to swap IC's with a known working machine. The OS ROM from an XL or XE could be swapped in for testing, but will be missing BASIC and Missile command thats also in the XEGS ROM.

Do you hear any sound or clicks when booting the machine? Does it load from a disk drive for instance, even though you can't see the screen?

37 minutes ago, jaybird3rd said:

As I recall, the last time I had an XEGS which booted to a green screen, it turned out to be a toasted CPU.  The previous owner had made the mistake of connecting it to a C64 power supply.  :o

(Definitely try replacing the OS ROM first, though; it's the easier of the two to replace, especially if you have an EPROM burner.)

This may be a dumb question but where is the cpu on this? I’m used to working on newer stuff aside from a sega gg, so I’m unfamiliar with the layouts here