IGNORED

Kaz Kompo 2019 - vote for the best game of 2019

+Adam+

Dear Atarians, on behalf of AtariOnline.pl I would like to invite you to take part in traditional Kaz Kompo contest :)

Help us decide which 8-bit Atari game published last year was the best.

• The full list of games with screenshots and links (as PDF file) is attached to this post.
  • The package with game files can be found here, the auxiliary spreadsheet with the titles can be found here.
  • You may read the rules below.

So... play the games, have fun and vote! :)

Kaz_Kompo_2007_logo_male.gif.2fdf46f149b013502b9a246e7c971404.gif

Kaz Kompo 2019 rules:

1. All games for 8-bit Atari published between January 1st and December 31st last year can participate in our competition. No matter if they are commercial or freeware games, awarded in other competitions or not, running only on Atari with 16kB or 1MB, do they require any extensions, cards, etc. It is important if their authors published them as completed, or declare abandonment of work, or the context indicates that they have abandoned the further development of the game. We created a list of these games on a regular basis throughout the year, and it was verified before the competition by the team: AdamW (@+Adam+), Kaz (@Kaz atarionline.pl), Rastan. We are unlikely to miss something, but of course possible. Anyway - let us know, we can add the title to the list.

2. Anyone can vote in the following ways:
- adding your comment under this post
- by sending Kaz an email to kaz@atarionline.pl email address
- on the AtariOnline.pl website under this article
We will try to confirm voices by email from people we do not know, and if it fails, they will not be included in the counting. The voting results (nickname, points) will then be public, so that everyone can see who and how they voted. No twists, scams or ambiguities.

3. Authors or co-authors of games participating in the competition can vote for their works. Also, game publishers can vote for the games they publish.

4. Everyone can vote for ten games, but their order should be given, because points will be awarded in this way: for 1st place - 10 points, for 2nd place - 9 points ... , for 10th place - 1 point.

All points from voters will be summarized and the ranking of games will be determined on this basis. It should be emphasized that we score up to 10 games. If you vote for less than 10 titles, then we will count the points to the last position only. If you vote for more than 10 games points will count up to 10 games only.

5. The voting will end at midnight on January 25/26, 2020 (Saturday) - midnight in the time zone where the voter is located.

6. The prize in the competition is to win first place - the title of the best game of 2019 and the opportunity to use the "golden" logo of the competition. Also the second and third games can use the title and badge of the KazKompo competition - silver and bronze respectively. As in previous years, we do not expect prizes for the authors, the biggest gratification is taking a good place, or receiving points from voters.

7. For those who votes (which is a specific effort considering the number of items), as usual, we have prizes that we will distribute after the end of the competition. And they will be:

• the unique and expensive official "Jim Slide XL" game box with cartridge and disk (funded by AdamW),
  • not-to-buy cassette with the game "Monty on the Run" (funded by Rastan)
  • and the book "Oni migają tymi kolorami w sposób profesjonalny" ("They flash these colors in professional way") with the authors' autographs (funded by Piotr Marecki) - this is the story of Tomasz "TDC" Cieślewicz about the beginnings of the Polish demoscene and the Polish gamedev, in Polish language.

The first prize will be awarded to the person who adds the most interesting summary of scored games to the scoring. Therefore, it is worth adding a sentence or two about a given game. The second and third prizes will be traditionally drawn. We hope this encourages you to vote. Traditionally, as every year, the Larek's program will draw:

10 REM KONKURS DLA GLOSUJACYCH
20 REM KAZ KOMPO 2019
30 REM PROGRAM LOSUJACY ZWYCIEZCE
40 REM --------------------------
50 GRAPHICS 0:LIST 10,40:?
60 ? "PODAJ ILOSC GLOSUJACYCH: ";
70 INPUT IG
80 ?
90 REM ROZGRZANIE GENERATORA
100 X=RND(0)
110 REM MIESZANIE, MIESZANIE
120 Y=INT(RND(0)*500)+500
130 FOR Z=0 TO Y
140 ? " ";:X=RND(0):? CHR$(30);" ";CHR$(30);
150 NEXT Z
160 REM LOSOWANIE
170 X=INT(RND(0)*IG+1)
180 ? "WYLOSOWANO NUMER: ";X
190 END

8. If it happens that a game from 2019 is not included in the list, you can vote for it, but you must clearly indicate it to complete the list after our verification.

9. All doubts and problems are resolved authoritatively by us: AdamW, Kaz, Rastan. This is to make quick and efficient decisions. And as every year, we ask for your understanding for such rules - there is no need to create excessively strict regulations where it is primarily to be fun.

KK2019games.pdf

Edited by +Adam+
style
  • Like 4

The winners from previous editions:

2016: 1. Laura, 2. Pang, 3. AtariBlast!

2015: 1. Duszpasterz Jan Rzygoń / Priest John McPuke, 2. Bomber, 3. Dimo's Quest Lurch Edition
2014: 1. RGB, 2. Treasure Island Dizzy, 3. The Great Return of the Penguins
2013: 1. Assembloids XE, 2. Deathchase XE, 3. The Hunt
2012: 1. Ridiculous Reality, 2. Line Runner, 3. Callisto
2011: 1. Space Harrier, 2. Marbled, 3. Mighty Jill Off
2010: 1. His Dark Majesty, 2. Ocean Detox, 3. Dr. Mario
2009: 1. Kolony 2106, 2. Nightshade, 3. Ghastly Night
2008: 1. Bomb Jack, 2. Hobgoblin, 3. Knight Lore
2007: 1. Yoomp!, 2. Crownland, 3. Mindblast
2006: 1. Flowers Mania, 2. Klony, 3. Nibbly

You may ask: what about missing years 2017 and 2018 - we will come back to them after Kaz Kompo 2019 :)

• Like 4

I'm happy to announce that in the KK2019 games package you may find 2 games that were previously available only for ABBUC club members: "Another Pong" (by Ralf "PPs" Patschke & Mario "Emkay" Krix) and "Full House Poker" (by Florian Dingler). Thanks for making them public, Sascha (@skr), Ralf (@pps) and Florian (@FlorianD)!

Regarding the games that are absent or not present in full version in KK2019 games package:

• "Animal Keeper", "NovaWolf" - commercial games created by Peter J. Meyer and Lance Ringquist, sold by Atari Sales on cartridges only
  • "The Rescue Expedition" - commercial game sold by Retronics (to order the game send PM to @Duddie or an email to orders(at)retronics.eu), only short demo is available publicly
  • "Star Vagrant" - commercial game, demo version from Silly Venture 2k19 is available. Full version sold by MADSoft
  • "Dungeon Hunt II" - this game won ABBUC Software Contest 2019 (and was distributed among ABBUC club members), not published after the contest. You may order the game by PM to @jacobus, here's the thread on AtariAge:

Edited by +Adam+
typo
  • Like 3

All right, I had a super hard time picking only 10 titles (and even more difficult to rank those), so hard when there's so much quality stuff being released :D. Anyway, here's my pick:

1.Gravity Worms
2.Fruity Pete
3.Adventure Ponies
4.Mister Hoppe
5.Rescue Expedition, The
6.Great Green Adventure 2 Prologue
7.Wasteland
8.Berks Four
9.Last Disk +, The
10.Mini Bros

And just for completeness here are the runner ups/honorary mentions/didn't make the cut/sorry I left you out (in no particular order):

Space Fortress Omega
Jaskiniowiec w czasach Inkwizycji
Joyas
Millionaire
601F
Block on Legs: First Steps

Lastly, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all creators for releasing all those good stuff for us to enjoy. Hope that this year will also be an excellent one for Atari 800!

• Like 4

OMG! 79 entries of which I've only played 1/3. While I understand it would be preferred to have played as many as possible in order to vote, I don't quite have the time to try another ~45 games even if I exclude those only available in physical form.

1. Adventure Ponies
2. Moon Patrol Redux
3. Berks Four
4. Space Fortress Omega
5. Mister Hoppe
6. 601F
7. Mini Bros
8. Missile 10
9. Hubbub
10. Bomber

• Like 2

Thanks, Yautja and Carlsson!

7 hours ago, Yautja said:

2. Millionaire

OK. Just one thing - I hope you realise, that this is Czech version of Millionaire in the package (the one from 2019), the other language versions were published in 2018 and we'll come back to them in future Kaz Kompo 2018?

30 minutes ago, carlsson said:

OMG! 79 entries of which I've only played 1/3.

I understand your pain. There's still a few days left, maybe you would find some time to play several other games (not necessarily ~45) and possibly modify your vote.

• Like 2

For those who don't have time to play all 79 games - these are 20 entries that received the biggest number of points so far (in alphabetical order):

• Abyssus
  • Adventure Ponies
  • Berks Four
  • Block on Legs: First Steps
  • Castle Defender
  • Dungeon Hunt II
  • Eel Ecurb
  • Fruity Pete
  • Gravity Worms
  • Great Green Adventure 2: Prologue
  • Imogen
  • Jet Set Willy 2019
  • Last Disk
  • Mister Hoppe
  • Monty on the Run
  • Moon Patrol Redux
  • Rescue Expedition, The
  • Space Fortress Omega
  • Star Vagrant
  • Wasteland
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ggn said:

That's..... a bit rigging the vote though? I mean, you're influencing people to vote for the more popular entries. This means that people might find some hidden gem among the titles outside the list.

THe kind of thing that would make me NOT vote for any of them 

2 hours ago, ggn said:

That's..... a bit rigging the vote though? I mean, you're influencing people to vote for the more popular entries. This means that people might find some hidden gem among the titles outside the list.

I try to encourage everyone to play all the games, but it's not always possible.

If someone has time to go through all games, will find all the gems, no matter what we would write in this thread :) 

But if someone has less time and is overwhelmed by the number of 79 games, the shorter list could be a real help - it's kind of a strong recommendation from other voters, where to start from (those 20 games received more than 90 percent of all points).

I counted to 21 public votes so far. I don't know how the turnout has been previous years, but if the first 21 people have cast 93% of their votes onto 20 of 79 games, I also think it is a good service to anyone who would want to participate and vote on entries where it will make a difference in the end. For me it tells that I've only played 5 out of the top 15, so if I put some more time into playing it will be among those others think are candidates for GOTY, not the 42 games nobody yet even considered on their top 10. Simply put, I have confidence that most who cast their votes based those on playability more than friendship with the developers.

• Like 1

It would be helpful (in future) if the 10 liners were listed separately - there are several lesser known (over here on atariage) games that are well worth a play e.g. Wasteland.  Quite a few releases were at the end of the year so there was not much time to try them, but I'm sure everything will work out in the end with enough voters!

1 hour ago, therealbountybob said:

It would be helpful (in future) if the 10 liners were listed separately

This is the list of 10-liners from BASIC Tenliners contest included in KK2019:

• Dragon Trainer (Jason "8Bit 1337" Gruetzmacher) - PUR-120 category, Turbo BASIC XL
  • Floody Bot (Kevin Savetz) - 2nd place in EXTREM-256 category, Turbo BASIC XL
  • Hubbub (Eric Henneke) - PUR-80 category, Atari BASIC
  • Lander (Kevin Savetz) - 2nd place in PUR-120 category, Turbo BASIC XL
  • License Plates (Victor "Vitoco" Parada) - PUR-80 category, Atari BASIC
  • Mini Bros (Victor "Vitoco" Parada) - 1st place in EXTREM-256 category, FastBasic 3.4
  • Missile ("Etom000001") - PUR-120 category, Atari BASIC
  • Missile10 (Bill Kendrick) - EXTREM-256 category, Turbo BASIC XL
  • Neverending Sorry (Paweł "Pirx" Kalinowski) - EXTREM-256 category, Turbo BASIC XL
  • Pixelated Puzzle (Victor "Vitoco" Parada) - 1st place in PUR-120 category, Turbo BASIC XL
  • Poke Pig (Kevin Savetz) - PUR-120 category, Turbo BASIC XL
  • ReactorX (Jeff "jeffpiep" Piepmeier) - 3rd place in PUR-120 category, FastBasic 4.0rc
  • UFO Attack! (Victor "Vitoco" Parada) - PUR-80 category, Atari BASIC

We also included in KK2019 "Mini Kaboom" game by Victor "Vitoco" Parada - it's a variant of "UFO Attack!" from BASIC Tenliners contest 

Other 10-liners: "Minilife", "Mini Character Editor", "Garden" by Kevin Savetz and "Amen [BREAK]" by Bill Kendrick were excluded as they are not really games.

1 hour ago, therealbountybob said:

there are several lesser known (over here on atariage) games that are well worth a play e.g. Wasteland

I agree that some of the games are not presented widely on AtariAge, maybe some of the creators should care more about the reception of their work?

Wasteland? Actually, the creator of Wasteland announced the game on AtariAge (although not in A8 forum)... :)

And then there was a thread created by skr:

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, davidcalgary29 said:

But votes for games NOT listed in the "top twenty" will still be counted, right? I really like License Plates, and Millionaire is just superb even though I hate the original game show. :)

Sure, we accept all votes :D And we would love to know what are YOUR personal gems from 2019, @davidcalgary29 :)

One more announcement: I'd like to remind you that this year we have a special prize for the person who will add the most interesting summary of scored games, who will explain in the most interesting way the choises he/she had made. So - if you want to get the first prize - write more than just the points :)

The first prize is the full official "Jim Slide XL" game box with cartridge, disk and 2 posters, you may see the photos in this thread:

You may find more details about the prizes in the rules (see the first post).

Edited by +Adam+
bold style added for emphasis :)
  • Like 2

I never even heard of 'License Plates,' was there any announcement of it's existence on Atari Age (besides this thread)? Is there someplace where all these new games are listed? I find out about 90% of them but some just seem to slip by without my ever knowing...

Edited by Gunstar

On 1/19/2020 at 2:18 PM, +Adam+ said:

You may ask: what about missing years 2017 and 2018 - we will come back to them after Kaz Kompo 2019 :)

Why? Why are they missing and why wait until after KK 2019?!?

1 hour ago, Gunstar said:

I never even heard of 'License Plates,' was there any announcement of it's existence on Atari Age (besides this thread)? Is there someplace where all these new games are listed? I find out about 90% of them but some just seem to slip by without my ever knowing...

Not every news appears on AtariAge.

It is necessary to check other sources, first of all our friends website Atarionline.

But thanks to KazKompos we can catch up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gunstar said:

I never even heard of 'License Plates,' was there any announcement of it's existence on Atari Age (besides this thread)?

Like I wrote a few messages earlier, "License Plates" come from BASIC Tenliners contest, so they were announced in the appropriate thread:

4 hours ago, Gunstar said:

Is there someplace where all these new games are listed?

There is no "one place with everything". We try at AtariOnline.pl and we have special pages dedicated to specific years, but it's hard to follow all sites, Facebook groups etc., it's a big effort, so we're not always up-to-date.

Maybe there exist one or two lesser known games that we missed in 2019 list, who knows?

2 hours ago, gorgh said:

during previous years there were no KK contests, people maintaining the website just haven't got enough time to sort things out

True. In the years 2014-2017 I tried to write carefully on AtariOnline about every single released (but not covered on AtariOnline yet) game on the main page before starting Kaz Kompo, which caused KK editions to be postponed permanently (the delay grew over the years). We had to change it.

Edited by +Adam+
clarification
  • Like 1

Here's our list, updated with the "sustentation". Please, forgive in advance my silly english:

1. Moon Patrol Redux: the first place on our listing is a double tribute. In principle, to one of the most iconic Atari shooters on all its platforms; and of which I especially remember the long hours playing together with my older brothers. In addition, it is a well-deserved recognition to the effort and dedication of TIX for giving the atarian community the version with the graphics it deserves.

2. Millionaire: my first formal participation in the production of a game for our beloved 8-bit computers. Enthusiasts from three Latin American countries join together virtually to carry out a Spanish version; apart from the gentle support of PG and MaPa. So, even in the Czech language, the game will always have my unconditional support.

3. The Rescue Expedition: it is, from our modest point of view, the best game of our friend Gorgh. The movement of the rope is simply amazing; also, the dynamic lighting and the generation of rooms that don't repeat, make this a unique game; even at the level of its reference, the classic Aztec. Apart from that, and perhaps without knowing it, Duddie gave us the first official homebrew cartridge of our whole life.

4. Adventure Ponies: I truly dislike ponies! But Gibstov's platformer is frankly remarkable. The difficulty of the game, the "bosses" at the end of each level, all the great colors, the variety of protagonists with particular abilities and even a code to unlock them ... amazing.

5. Abyssus: Fandal surprises us with an interesting shoot'em up, which despite its potential only stayed on the first level. The story behind the project - which he tells in his blog - includes several technical details; but described in such a way that it is fully understandable to the novice reader. Although he has put the tombstone to the project, it is an example for other entrepreneurs in the Atari scene.

6. Jet Set Willy 2019: another of our favorite games, which we can enjoy in all its colorful splendor and without the annoying bugs in the graphics of the original thanks to the port made by Tezz. 

7. Eel Ecurb: the "little dragon" is one of our personal referents; and this project was the first step of Ute and Fantomas for what, we hope, will soon be the sequel to Datasoft's immortal adventure game.

8. New Year Girls: another program that brings us nostalgic memories; in this case, distances apart, about those days and nights trying to beat the computer in ArtWorks' "Strip Poker". We hope that Sikor gets encouraged to design more opponents.

9. Dungeon Hunt II: while we have not had the pleasure of playing it, Jacobus's project to immerse ourselves in a labyrinth full of magic enemies refers us to another of our favorites: Lucasfilms' "The Eidolon". Of course, Dungeon Hunt has much more action, although the graphic section is still a pending issue.

10. Mini Bros: finally, we want to highlight Vitoco's ability to make a game like Mario Bros in just ten lines of code - and even with two players simultaneously! Simply mind blowing.

- Y -

• Like 4