RevEng

Official Home for batari Basic

5 hours ago, Random Terrain said:

Except not backwards (horizontal) and more like this, vertical:

https://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-tia-color-charts.html

color_charts.png.eb28467eb979eb3e399c5a03fb6286fe.png

Will take a look with the next update to the editor (i've raised in issue in Github).  Please feel free to raise any further suggestions in the Atari Dev Studio announcement post so we can keep Mike's post for bB 👍

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 1/19/2020 at 2:39 PM, RevEng said:

The batari Basic programming language now has a new home at github.

This is good news! I've submitted a Pull Request with several changes that come from a cleanup I did a while ago and posted on GitHub.

The PR I submitted contains many of those changes. It modifies the code to use consistent indentation and adds some extra functions and macros that make the code more concise and the formatting of the 6502 Assembler output fully consistent. Rather than just paste my updated code over the current code I applied the changes manually so they are up to date with any changes since "version 1.0" of bAtariBASIC. I'll follow up periodically with more fixups, and I will also produce a C++ version as part of the refactoring effort.

I've also started writing VSCode extensions (i.e., "Auto Build Marlin") and it would be interesting to write a Javascript version of the compiler that could be integrated into Atari Dev Studio. Just the part that produces the Assembler output so you can quickly verify that it's what you expect. And then the extension could do other tricks like highlight lines that it can't figure out how to compile, and so on.

From my bAtariBASIC page on GitHub:

image.thumb.png.0e756e75294438d120b3bce3f39d1a3b.png

Edited by thinkyhead
  • Like 3

Much appreciated! I saw the pull requests, I'm just waiting for some free time to throw at reviewing. They sound pretty straightforward, so I don't expect an issue.

• Like 1

Incidentally, what is your preferred indentation? For C/C++ I've tended to favor 2 spaces instead of tabs since it doesn't fly off the right, GitHub displays it correctly, and editor settings don't matter.

However, for the PR I went with the most traditional: 4-column wide Tabs since that seemed to fit the existing code best (although it had a mixture of tabs and spaces).

We're not allowed to discuss religion here. ;)

My preference is tabs, but I'm adaptable to spaces. The code has had a few different hands in it over the years, and some of it copied and pasted, which will often convert the tabs to spaces. I usually try to fix that up, but I've probably missed a few times.

I'm trying to update batari Basic on my Mac (not using Atari Dev Studio, just a text editor and the Terminal). When I try to compile with the new version, I get the same error EvoMike was getting (### ERROR: couldn't find bB binaries for Darwin(x86_64). Exiting.) There are Darwin files in the directory for my old version of bB, but they aren't there in the new one. Is there a step I missed to create those?

Assuming you're using the latest release, have you run the accompanying "install_ux.sh" script?

If you downloaded the darwin specific packages (or any specific OS packages) the binaries are just named "2600basic", "optimize", etc., without the OS specific extensions. The 2600basic.sh script uses these binaries first, before it resorts to searching for ones with OS specific naming.

I just updated dev studio for the first time since 4.4 I think, how come my pfcolors are now one row further down in the DPC+ kernel then what they were before?

If I fix it the top color is wrong.

It's as if this isn't working anymore?