IGNORED

New OSSC successor in development

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65892&p=1395662

Some of the cool stuff:

• Adds HDMI (with scaling) and Optical audio input
  • Non-integer scaling (like Framemeister)
  • 2x20-pin GPIO allows adding add-ons for other connection types
  • Better deinterlacing algorithms possible
  • Lots of new scaling options - 
  • Outside of SCART and GPIO, all inputs and outputs are on the same side of the board. 
  • Natural SCART cable angle means SCART will go out the back, too
  • Rotation

This looks like a pretty worthy successor to the original OSSC, but it's still months away, and the original OSSC is still a really badass device. I think the only thing that would make me upgrade is if someone came up with a GPIO board for composite and S-Video processing. 1440p and/or 4K processing would be nice but are not necessary, and they're nothing that would make me upgrade even though I do have a 4K TV. 

• Like 2

Really awesome to see a higher-end OSSC in development. I'm personally curious about the price, he has hinted that it will *not* be cheap. It'll be hard to justify upgrading from my current FM and OSSC combo unless I sell them off (so much money sunk into those two together already), but this could be a great route for newcomers needing some great, high-end hardware. Really looking forward to community feedback on this thing once it gets in the hands of users.

To add to the "cool stuff" bullet list, here's a big one:

• Using OSSC Pro as a dedicated FPGA console.

?

Edited by Austin
  • Like 1

I just saw this yesterday, very cool.  I was considering an OSSC but I kinda like this concept for two reasons.  First, the HDMI input will be useless for me, and second, the GPIO to input possibly composite/S-video would be something I'd definitely want.  My current upscaler (DVDO) does all this, but it's been on the fritz lately and I want to replace it. 

1 hour ago, dj_convoy said:

I feel bad for those who already invested a lot into the OSSC, but obviously this is a cool thing. 

Well I suppose it's bad for people that invested recently, but... the OSSC have been out for what? 4 years? If the new OSSC exist, it's because so many people have invested in the current one and showed interest for it.

Plus, that new OSSC doesn't make the older ones obsolete so it's not that bad. People that want to recoup on their investement may resell their current OSSC as well.

16 hours ago, derFunkenstein said:

Why people on Twitter are saying MiSTer on the DE10-nano is doomed.

Those who say that don't know what they are talking about since, perhaps ironically, any custom board would be made in lower volumes than a DE10.

Even Analogue discontinues support of their old devices after some time. So a custom board for MiSTer wouldn't have any better guarantee of longevity, over a board with a broader audience such as the DE10.

Nothing wrong with porting cores though, I just don't see it as a full replacement given the lack of USB. Even MiST had more controller compatibility.

Edited by Newsdee

11 hours ago, Newsdee said:

Those who say that don't know what they are talking about since, perhaps ironically, any custom board would be made in lower volumes than a DE10.

Even Analogue discontinues support of their old devices after some time. So a custom board for MiSTer wouldn't have any better guarantee of longevity, over a board with a broader audience such as the DE10.

Nothing wrong with porting cores though, I just don't see it as a full replacement given the lack of USB. Even MiST had more controller compatibility.

Total agreement. The DE10-nano is subsidized, in a way, because it's an educational device for EE students. Therefore, it sees production numbers much higher than anything Analogue makes. Thanks to large production runs it's cheaper because R&D is amortized and longer production runs see costs diminish over time. I saw people ask the question and it didn't make any sense. Now I see why they're asking, but it's still not a concern because even with the custom SDRAM boards and one-off design adapters, a barebones functional MiSTer setup is hella cheap.