IGNORED

Fairchild Channel F Programmers

Ducky01

Information as best as I have been able to assemble:

Lawrence Haskel: original prototype versions of Hockey, Tic tac toe, doodle

Jerry Lawson: Space War

Michael Glass: Democart, Spitfire, Maze

Rick Maurer: Pro Football, Hangman, Pinball Challenge

Vilas Munshi: Desert Fox, Math Quiz 1 and 2, Hockey (conversion from prototype by Haskel)

Brad Reid-Selth: Video Whizball, Alien Invasion

Don Ruffcorn and Brad Fuller were also programmers but dunno what games they did at this time.

This information is greatly appreciated. One of the carts I am most interested in is Pinball Challenge (#17), identified as being programmed by Rick Maurer. It is obviously a breakout game, but named after pinball with bumper icons on the box. Was this a marketing decision?

If I had to guess it would have been a marketing choice. There are some internal docs at the Strong Museum in Rochester from Jerry Lawson's collection - nothing about that game specifically, but having different names for projects in development didn't seem unheard of. I don't know that anyone has tracked down and talked to anyone from Fairchild's marketing division, though.

Just my personal opinion but I imagine Pinball Challenge was named and arted specifically to cash in on titles being released elsewhere. It may have also been a way of not infringing on ataris naming rights, as that period of time was rife with lawsuits and the video game industry was experiencing a few around that time. 

I know in the 20 years of Stella interviews or however long it was there is some brief mentions of the channel F as programmers worked on both systems. I assume some of them are named above, I'm not great with names. 

Yeah a few bounced over to Atari. Rick Maurer went to the consumer software division and wrote Space Invaders and Maze Craze. Vilas Munshi worked on software for the 400/800 computers, such as calculator and tax-related programs. And I think Don Ruffcorn ended up writing a couple games published by Telesys but I haven’t been able to talk to him.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I spoke to Don Ruffcorn years ago but I didn't realize he had been involved with the Channel F at the time.  In hindsight, it makes sense.  After Rick Maurer left Atari, he and Ruffcorn started a company called Is'Action which supposedly developed games for 20th Century Fox and others.  I suspect the games that Ruffcorn did for Telesys were actually developed by this company.

• Like 1