IGNORED

Why isn't there any custom Sega Saturn Console Shells?

I agree it's strange, even if it's a lesser well to do by system for the market at the time, there are plenty and showing wear so it would be nice.

I've had the same question about what should be obvious COLOR choices for Gameboy Pocket shells.  For some insane reason RED has never been made so it causes that model of the original system to cost more because shells and more so battery doors are at a premium.  I never realized it until I wanted to make a custom GBP stylized after a virtual boy and could not source the parts because they don't exist.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tanooki said:

For some insane reason RED has never been made so it causes that model of the original system to cost more because shells and more so battery doors are at a premium.

Behold: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Red-Replacement-Battery-Cover-for-Game-Boy-Pocket-Gameboy-GBP/231802039437?hash=item35f87a6c8d:g:ipgAAOSwKtlWiTsO

I wonder if it's because basically any Dreamcast could fit in a replacement Dreamcast shell, but there are so many weird variants of the Saturn it's harder (or impossible) to make something universal? Revisions with Sanyo drives have some sort of mid-connection daughterboard, there are differences between model 1 and model 2, etc. For a system that only sold about as well as the Dreamcast did globally, you have to make a lot of variants. I could see it not being cost efficient. 

• Like 2

You're probably on something.

Also, there is probably not enough Saturn fans eager to do mods?

I remember 15/20 years ago you'd find Saturn piling in garage sales and bins more than PS1 did, as nobody wanted them but a few hardcore Sega gamers.

So in addition to the difficulty of making a generic shell that fit them all, there may be simply too few collectors of it. Unlike the DC that gained a cult following from the get go, and arriving at the beginning of the retrogaming phenomenon, was basically considered "retro" as soon as Sega discontinued it (in Europe and the US).

Edited by CatPix

• 9 months later...