IGNORED

The review of A-Z of Atari ST Games Volume 3 book RetroLaird is trying to delete!

Kieren...

For the love of dear god, PLEASE JUST GET PROFESSIONAL HELP.

Creating yet more fake YT accounts that were set up 3 days ago,  which have posted only 1 comment and it's in response to today's video that went up..

See sense man for the love of god see sense.

Look at this:

Cods Wallop

I agree. This is a disgraceful attack on a very vunerable man it seems. If you really wanted to help you would reach out and do so, he certainly doesn't seem hard to find. I'm guessing you haven't seen the Caroline Flack story in the news, because that's exactly what this is turning into.

Look how absurd the comparison is, if nothing else:

From the BBC NEWS SITE regarding Caroline::She stood down from the dating show after she was charged with assaulting her partner in December and was due to stand trial next month.

As well as presenting ITV's Love Island she had co-hosted The X Factor and won Strictly Come Dancing in 2014.

Different sex, completely different circumstances. 

You cannot undo what you have done.

You cannot contain reports flooding in.

Apologise. 

Seek professional help.

Stay off social media.

Your doing yourself and your loved ones immeasurable harm with all of this.

Either you are creating these accounts or someone on your behalf.

Every day brings a new chapter of this on going tradegy of affairs.

The community just wants to heal now.

10 hours ago, Mayhem said:

Oh thats about the second thing I said in the first post I made on this subject a while back heh! ?

And I presume this is the video you mean? 

By the way, this video is mirrored on Bitchute just in case something happens to it on YouTube:

https://www.bitchute.com/video/Vr0l6QuKry2M/

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Sauron said:

By the way, this video is mirrored on Bitchute just in case something happens to it on YouTube:

https://www.bitchute.com/video/Vr0l6QuKry2M/

The video was well done and very informative. I already shared it on Twitter as well as my own retro gaming / computing Facebook groups and other groups. Also caught it on Bitchute as well. I LOVE that a forum post I made was referenced in the video around the 14 min 7 sec mark, that was a post over on the Atari.io forums where I am a mod (MaximumRD), one of Kieren's videos was posted and as soon as I noticed I removed the video link, closed the thread describing a brief history of Kieren aka The Laird's behaviors and history and made it very clear our forums would NOT be allowing any videos or content by him. 

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
correction
  • Like 4

I have finally just caught up with all of this thread after seeing the fallout emerge over the past few days. 

I've had limited experiences with Kieren but I have interacted with him briefly on social media. I always felt that he was a bit of a Walter Mitty, making spurious claims with little to no referencing that didn't stand up to reasonable scrutiny. 

His reactionary social media presence, even based on my limited interactions with him, always saw him butting into any Atari related discussion on Twitter. Quite a few times, I've seen him claim that Atari held a majority share of the UK console market in the late 80s and early 90s, which is frankly laughable; other instances saw him interject in conversations about the Jaguar library, claiming that there were far more titles to be included as 'official' releases (citing many recent homebrew and demos) than the original official release library of Atari in their day. 

His Atari related flag-waving and gatekeeping never seemed to actually encourage people to want to get involved in what is actually a welcoming and enjoyable community - he was always on the offensive and exuded a sneering sense of elitism, faux-superior knowledge, and self-aggrandisement. 

On another note... I remember seeing a 'System Overview' video of his many years ago (I can't remember which one, other than it was dreadful) and was struck by him claiming that he used to be a professional football goalkeeper. My bullshit radar immediately went into overdrive. Actually, now that I think about it, the video in question was possibly on the Atari Jaguar given that he was taking about the large controller in his tiny hands.

Anyway, he has proven himself to be a ballbag. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

55 minutes ago, CommodoreCEO said:

I have finally just caught up with all of this thread after seeing the fallout emerge over the past few days. 

I've had limited experiences with Kieren but I have interacted with him briefly on social media. I always felt that he was a bit of a Walter Mitty, making spurious claims with little to no referencing that didn't stand up to reasonable scrutiny. 

His reactionary social media presence, even based on my limited interactions with him, always saw him butting into any Atari related discussion on Twitter. Quite a few times, I've seen him claim that Atari held a majority share of the UK console market in the late 80s and early 90s, which is frankly laughable; other instances saw him interject in conversations about the Jaguar library, claiming that there were far more titles to be included as 'official' releases (citing many recent homebrew and demos) than the original official release library of Atari in their day. 

His Atari related flag-waving and gatekeeping never seemed to actually encourage people to want to get involved in what is actually a welcoming and enjoyable community - he was always on the offensive and exuded a sneering sense of elitism, faux-superior knowledge, and self-aggrandisement. 

On another note... I remember seeing a 'System Overview' video of his many years ago (I can't remember which one, other than it was dreadful) and was struck by him claiming that he used to be a professional football goalkeeper. My bullshit radar immediately went into overdrive. Actually, now that I think about it, the video in question was possibly on the Atari Jaguar given that he was taking about the large controller in his tiny hands.

Anyway, he has proven himself to be a ballbag. 

The claim about Atari holding key % of UK market came from a small piece in the console section of RAZE magazine (the same publication that claimed an Atari 7800 version of Turrican would be playable on Atari UK's Railway Carriage promotional tour :-))). 

The quote was:

"Atari often quotes a Mintel report that states the 7800, together with it's older brother, the 2600 accounts for around 50% of the UK Console Market"

Now given that didn't break down the market share between 7800 and 2600 and one would assume, also included the XEGS system, on sale at the same time, it's questionable from the off.

Nobody as far as i am aware, let alone Kieren,  has actually seen a copy of said report. 

He recently presented the claim to Julian Rignal, ex-Mean Machines and C+VG journo,  who described the claims as "Whack"  and didn't tie-in with the market research EMAP magazines did before launching Mean Machines and deciding which formats to cover.

Kieren took offence the magazine (initally) covered the Amstrad GX4000 console and not the Atari 7800.

There was more chance of Mean Machines covering the Commodore C64GS than the 7800 :-)) 

For those unfamilar with Julian Rignal:

Editor of Zzap 64 and C+VG magazine after starting off as a mere reviewer.

Launched:Mean Machines and Official Sega Magazine.

Was at one time the UK and World Record Holder for highscores on:Defender,Pole Position and Crossfire Coin-Ops. 

Very credible source.

I've also seen comments on YT that Kieren was arguing with Leonard Tramiel over events at Atari where Leonard was present, Kieren wasn't... 

Yet he takes Martin Hooley's (Imagitec Design) claims at face value, when 13 seperate sources now from Imagitec Design dispute said claims.

There's just no logic to any of this.

Edited by Lost Dragon
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Lost Dragon said:

The claim about Atari holding key % of UK market came from a small piece in the console section of RAZE magazine (the same publication that claimed an Atari 7800 version of Turrican would be playable on Atari UK's Railway Carriage promotional tour :-))). 

The quote was:

"Atari often quotes a Mintel report that states the 7800, together with it's older brother, the 2600 accounts for around 50% of the UK Console Market"

Now given that didn't break down the market share between 7800 and 2600 and one would assume, also included the XEGS system, on sale at the same time, it's questionable from the off.

Nobody as far as i am aware, let alone Kieren,  has actually seen a copy of said report. 

He recently presented the claim to Julian Rignal, ex-Mean Machines and C+VG journo,  who described the claims as "Whack"  and didn't tie-in with the market research EMAP magazines did before launching Mean Machines and deciding which formats to cover.

Kieren took offence the magazine (initally) covered the Amstrad GX4000 console and not the Atari 7800.

There was more chance of Mean Machines covering the Commodore C64GS than the 7800 :-)) 

Yeah, I remember seeing Kieren have that 'exchange' with Julian Rignall on Twitter and I was astounded by his brazeness in pushing his claims as indisputable facts. I'll be honest, I wasn't even aware that the Atari 7800 was even a thing when I was a child as the Sega Master System (and to a lesser extent the NES) dominated the UK and Ireland console market. Mean Machines covering the GX4000 before the 7800 was most likely down to the massive media fanfare and marketing budget behind Alan Sugar's console. Atari had next to zero resources in comparison at the time with little prospect of top games and future developer support. 

His grip on reality, as seen with his handling of 'facts' and in his retro gaming guerilla war against others, is lacking. He needs to seek professional help before he causes more irreparable damage that could unfortunately have negative permutations for his family. 

He has overplayed his hand for far too long and the many disparate elements of the retro scene have finally pieced together their experiences of him. It paints a sad, self-alienating portrait of a man who can't help but inflate the importance of Atari and dick-ride their lesser-known and less regarded systems. And I say that as someone who loves the 7800, the Lynx and the Jaguar without irony. 

Edited by CommodoreCEO
  • Like 6

37 minutes ago, CommodoreCEO said:

Yeah, I remember seeing Kieren have that 'exchange' with Julian Rignall on Twitter and I was astounded by his brazeness in pushing his claims as indisputable facts. I'll be honest, I wasn't even aware that the Atari 7800 was even a thing when I was a child as the Sega Master System (and to a lesser extent the NES) dominated the UK and Ireland console market. Mean Machines covering the GX4000 before the 7800 was most likely down to the massive media fanfare and marketing budget behind Alan Sugar's console. Atari had next to zero resources in comparison at the time with little prospect of top games and future developer support. 

His grip on reality, as seen with his handling of 'facts' and in his retro gaming guerilla war against others, is lacking. He needs to seek professional help before he causes more irreparable damage that could unfortunately have negative permutations for his family. 

He has overplayed his hand for far too long and the many disparate elements of the retro scene have finally pieced together their experiences of him. It paints a sad, self-alienating portrait of a man who can't help but inflate the importance of Atari and dick-ride their lesser-known and less regarded systems. And I say that as someone who loves the 7800, the Lynx and the Jaguar without irony. 

Mean Machines staff did explain the inital GX4000 coverage, don't quote me as going purely off hazy memory here :-)),  but i seem to remember talk of expected advertising revenue as Amstrad were putting one page magazine adverts out for the hardware,  Ocean advertising it's games.

Games magazines can live or die on advertising revenue. 

The 5200 was annouced to replace 2600 here in UK originally (some home shopping catalogues even had in in their collections)  but the US crash put paid to that. 

7800 then annouced, shown at London show, games and hardware prices etc.

We waited, then Bob Gleadow annouced he'd convinced Atari bosses in USA the XEGS was the right system for us.

7800 finally limps out at budget price here in UK to join 2600 and XEGS, sold ok according to Darryl Still in less effluent areas and via Home Shopping Catalogues.

But in real terms, minimal UK share.

Good few of the promised conversions of aging 8 bit computer titles to it never appeared. 

That's the reality of the UK 7800 in a nutshell. 

Kierens views differ ever so slightly :-)) 

His inability to offer honest and level headed appraisals of games on all the Atari systems, has been a major grind for many of us.

The Atari version is the best version, is the superior version,always thrown out.

That's fine in a good few cases where the A8 version offers faster 3D and more vibrant colours or Lynx version makes a mockery of the ST or Amiga versions.. Stun Runner,  Pac-Land etc, but you apply it enmass in the manner Kieren has and people just eye roll and you've the devil's own job convincing them of the merits of the Atari systems as a result. 

Kieren does need professional help,clearly has for a good number of years.

Until everything came to light, i don't think any of us really appreciated just how badly he needed that help.

All we can do now is pray he realises this and gets it.

• Like 1

Reported to Facebook also, this whole thing is a joke now, as the said owner of RVG I am ashamed of your actions fella, we went our seperate ways for many reasons, both Greyfox and Lost Dragon have cover much of that in their posts, I don't wish anyone any harm and seeing this happen does not fill me with joy but ffs fella, leave it alone and move on. Stop digging a HOLE

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

I wonder what happened to this Kieren guy, traumatic head injury?  I am also still curious what turned KMD into what he is now.

Assburgers, with the emphasis on “being an ass” here. Other people have autism, adhd and Aspergers, but aren’t complete dicks in the process, so it’s no excuse,

• Like 6