IGNORED

The review of A-Z of Atari ST Games Volume 3 book RetroLaird is trying to delete!

I've been trying to stay out of all this now but since this is the second time I've seen him mentioned, I'll just say please don't drag Larry into this. He's a really good dude who had no idea about all this crap unfolding. And it shouldn't affect anyone's opinion of his excellent book, he has been working on it for years, long before this came out, and he deserves for it to be a success. None of this is remotely his fault I can assure you.

• Like 3

On 2/16/2020 at 6:50 AM, Mayhem said:

I would like to stress there’s a bunch of stuff off with Starship’s post (notwithstanding that Jason Butwell isn’t evil and hasn’t had any dealings with Kieran for years) and Starship is pretty much ostracised from the UK events community for various reasons as well. However, yes, stories about Kieran trying to ruin relationships have much more solid grounding.

Considering you were not even at the event in question, attended a singular gaming event and was certainly not in the same loop as everyone else, you come across like you know a lot about what happened. There is a handful of people I have had direct disagreements with in the past for valid reason, just like there are many people who have had disagreements with others and do not see eye to eye where everyone thinks they are right. There are also a few people like yourself who I have never had any problems with, never had any real dealings with, and have probably believed what other people have said, who has never contacted me directly to find out if it was, but would probably go around telling others without knowing the real facts and story, like you have done here. 

4 hours ago, PixelsLtd said:

I've been trying to stay out of all this now but since this is the second time I've seen him mentioned, I'll just say please don't drag Larry into this. He's a really good dude who had no idea about all this crap unfolding. And it shouldn't affect anyone's opinion of his excellent book, he has been working on it for years, long before this came out, and he deserves for it to be a success. None of this is remotely his fault I can assure you.

Can easily believe he has no knowledge of how far Kierens rabbit hole extended.

As the person who posted both snap shots I didn't just fire and forget.

The first post was me asking Larry of Kierens involvement in fact hunt. This was because, if you look at imdb and kierens cv, he lists being the writer of fact hunt as one of his achievements. The Twitter reply, and subsequent twitter traffic showed Kieren had a much smaller than shouted involvement. I also went into asking about the book and subscriptions, and from the answers given i was happy to continue to subscribe and buy the book (which does look good,)

The second post is not intended as any slight on Larry, it precedes the reveal of information and highlights the Kieren mindset and the way in which manipulation was occurring.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Welshworrier said:

The second post is not intended as any slight on Larry, it precedes the reveal of information and highlights the Kieren mindset and the way in which manipulation was occurring.

Thank you for clarifying. I wasn't assuming ill intent on your behalf, far from it. I just wanted to be clear for anyone scrolling through that Larry having used him in the past does not mean that he was in any way involved or aware with the nasty stuff. The 15 page statement thanked him for his support. That felt like simply taking advantage of his previous good will in order to imply his support of the document, and was a bit like throwing him under the bus. Its not my place to speak for anyone but I felt it was important to clarify for anyone speed reading. This has already hurt many people as it is, don't want to accidentally create another victim. I have no intention of speaking for other people or putting my nose in where its unwelcome, so I'll leave it at that.

• Like 2

"COUNCILING"?

Is he working for his local Council now?

This self acclaimed journalist and proof reader really does get things terribly wrong.

So (copyright Kieren Hawken), freelance jobs aside, the latest is that there has been an "official" request made that he never attend any UK event again.

2020-03-01_8-06-57.png

Edited by Landstalker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Landstalker said:

"COUNCILING"?

Is he working for his local Council now?

This self acclaimed journalist and proof reader really does get things terribly wrong.

So (copyright Kieren Hawken), freelance jobs aside, the latest is that there has been an "official" request made that he never attend any UK event again.

2020-03-01_8-06-57.png

Oh dear, the new medication obviously does nothing to stem the flow of bullshit lol.

Still, after his great councilling session he probably went home and had a bloody good game of steve Davis snooker 128k 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, tomasparks said:

What Freelancing job is he doing?
I think we need to warn the other party.

I think we can file these 3 Freelance jobs under "things that didn't happen".

It's simply Kierens rather lame way of saying to everyone "Hey look at me!!  Even though all this crap is going on about me, people still want to use my services because i'm super awesome and great at my "job", i'm TOTALLY unaffected by all this stuff going on, nothing to see here!"

• Like 4

4 hours ago, tomasparks said:

I think we need to warn the other party.

1. Washing his mums car

2. Tidying the garage

3. Putting that shelf up he just hasn't got round to doing yet

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, so. I see there is a NEW review of one of Kizza's over on Amazon. The A-Z of Arcade Games: Volume 1.

Looks pretty accurate to me. Points out the missing classics. 

Expect two new reviews to be posted shortly, one by Retro Girl and one by Kizza on his wife E----'s account...

Revisionism rules.

Apparently Kieren "requested that he not be invited to any further UK events".
This is a nice spin on "being officially told by all organisers that he would not by welcome".
He does like to think he is the master of his ship, rather than the ships rat.

Also, whichever book it was that was mentioned in a previous post for "racist" content, it has supposedly, been removed from Amazon.

• Haha 2

Sorry to jump in on this but the ZX Spectrum Steve Davis Snooker thing is bugging me because it's so weird!

There is no 128k version of Steve Davis Snooker. The game came out around the end of 1984, a full year before the 128K Spectrum was released in the UK. It was re-released years later in the UK and Spain, but no 128K code was added. (I'm not aware of any re-released Spectrum game that had major features added. Re-releasing was very much a way to get more money by selling old games at a budget price.)

The reason it has speech is that it's compatible with the Currah Microspeech, an external speech synthesizer cartridge. The game just had to send a phonetic string to the cartridge which interpreted it as speech and sent it to the TV, so it took up very little memory. Unlike sampled speech which obviously took up huge amounts and could only be used very sparingly on a standard 48K machine.

So this guy is either misremembering it, has knowledge of an unfinished commerical or homebrew project that was worked on when he was a young child, or is totally making stuff up. I assume the first due to the tweet to Mike Lamb!

1 hour ago, ∞ Vince ∞ said:

That be the David Martin from Kizza's home town of Luton?

Those two reviews are from early January but the point still stands. Those reviews are absolutely opaque once you know the about the whole backstory.

I don't understand why Kieron just doesn't make corrections and additions to his books and re-upload (and reply to 1-star reviews thanking the reviewer for the feedback and stating the feedback has been addressed.). Isn't that the main advantage of this whole kindle / print-on-demand ecosystem?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Bliz71 said:

Those two reviews are from early January but the point still stands. Those reviews are absolutely opaque once you know the about the whole backstory.

I don't understand why Kieron just doesn't make corrections and additions to his books and re-upload (and reply to 1-star reviews thanking the reviewer for the feedback and stating the feedback has been addressed.). Isn't that the main advantage of this whole kindle / print-on-demand ecosystem?

That is a very good point, I mean you could invisibly update and revise as you needed and newer customers would maybe see your comment that it has been corrected and be re-assured, though he can't really do much about the

fact that he only ever reviews 3 games per letter of the alphabet, which doesn't make it much of an A-Z, does it ?

Edited by Guest
changed IS to is so it doesn't sound partronising