IGNORED

The review of A-Z of Atari ST Games Volume 3 book RetroLaird is trying to delete!

1 hour ago, Landstalker said:

Now THAT is what I call quality writing.
Ouch! :)

Thanks. I used to be an English teacher, so reading Kieren's incessant ramblings gives me PTSD of a time when teenagers threw chairs across the room, mocked the merits of Robert Frost's poetry, and precociously pretended to have some semblance of creative writing skills. 

At least they were youths and not pretending to be a 'journalist' and a 'media personality' that Kieren Hawken has claimed to be. Honestly, pre-historic human cave drawings written in haemorrhoidal blood would be a more valid contribution to the retro gaming scene than the shite-drizzled scrawl of this incapable and incompetent imbecile.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, CommodoreCEO said:

Let's be honest here... The Atari ST was shit in comparison to the Amiga. In fact, a lot of Atari hardware from the mid-80s to the mid-90s was shit, and I say that as a big fan of the 7800 and Jaguar.

Kieren probably banked on the fact that the mid-80s to mid-90s Atari scene was such a niche area of interest and knowledge that he'd be able to earn platitudes and recognition as somebody within the retro gaming pantheon. His nefarious actions are ill-befitting of someone wanting to ingratiate themselves with the oft-lauded people who have undertaken, and continue to undertake, incredible research on historical accounts and occurrences of a nascent industry that could very easily be lost to the annals of time.

But, rather than live vicariously through the work of others and praising the good work being done, Kieren Hawken decided to shit the bed and blame others for doing so. His attempts to obfuscate, undermine, enfeeble and damage the work and reputations of others led to what was at best (in his view) going to be a pyhhric victory, and at worst a scorched-earth-policy that only burnt his own back yard. Well, he fucked the goose up the hoop on this one and burnt his own back yard. 

We see you Kieren. Your attempt to exaggerate the presence, adoration and market share of Atari only belied your 'honest research'; these propitious schemes of yours, shored up by the shaky foundations of easily refutable claims by actual industry personnel, and your attempt to denigrate anyone who either was more successful or respected than you, or anyone who could shatter your illusory glass house of Atari dreams with stated, unshakeable factual evidence, have come to a head. 

Pull your fucking wotsit fingers out of your arse. No one is buying your shit. 

Get professional help. No one is buying your wank-tomes of Atari onanism that feature the writing style of a brainless hack who loves nothing more than to bash his e-peen for Atari even when the subject very definitely doesn't warrant it.

Well done Kieren. In attempting to 'divide and conquer' the retro gaming community, you've 'united and submitted to' it. Your damage to your own reputation is now apparent for all to see, and hopefully your attempted damage to the reputation of others has granulated and dissolved into the nothingness that is ironically your apparent worth. 

Most of all, and perhaps the most damning to you, is the reputational damage you have caused to the Atari-centric retro gaming community that you claimed to have adored. Like Medea, you have waged a nonsensical revenge-war on others, and killed the reputation of the scene you most 'love'. Now, when anyone sings even faint praise towards the Atari Jaguar or other associated Atari hardware and software, people will assume your sticky wotsit fingers will have played a part in it - even if only by association. 

Fuck off Kieren, and don't come back. You are a self-aggrandising, misogynistic, hate-filled boil on the arse cheek that is the retro gaming scene and people want to be able to sit down without pain or having to suffer the oozing pus that is your constant modus operandi. 

Atari wise, i owned a 2600 and 800XL before buying the ST and sure, fast 3D, but lack of hardware scrolling and that awful soundchip made it a hard child to love at times.

I don't know if it's because it's never suited his Pro-Atari Agenda, he was too lazy to mention it or just literally ignorant of it, but in his ST work alone,  Kieren never mentions the price rises the ST witnessed.

The DRAM chip shortages, Tramiel tells public Atari will absorb the cost,not pass it onto the consumer,  cue an extra £100 slapped onto the ST price for a period.

Price drops back, only to rise again by £30 in late summer 1991 due to the Dollar price on the exchange. 

Sam Tramiel is telling people the STE will blow Commodore away, it's equal hardware to the Amiga and it'll restore the ST as the number one games computer. 

This after Atari UK had spent past 12 months promoting the ST line as so much more than a games machine.

Sam Tramiel via his promises and P.R statements ensured nobody took anything Atari ever said seriously and now Kieren is playing his part.

He's caused immeasurable damage to the reputation of the Atari hardware, because he's physically unable to write about it in a balanced and historically accurate manner.

Lord only knows what's going to appear the 2600/7800 Visual Compendium. 

Kieren credits Darryl Still for doing so much good to promote the ST line, very true, Darryl worked miracles, but so did others, Les Player (RIP),  Peter Staddon who'd been responsible for the Family Curriculum and Discovery Xtra Packs and he was only at Atari UK for around a year.

I've never read an Atari article by Kieren in RetroGamer Magazine, be it A8,7800, XEGS, ST, Lynx or Jaguar, that accurately reflects the UK era i lived through.

It's always too patchy and gives an unfair representation to overseas readers about how things were here.

You can't hammer home how the NES arrived far too late here in the UK to have any impact or how Sega Of America was at odds with Sega of Japan and then totally gloss over the Atari UK vs Atari America angle. 

1991 alone was a damaging year here for Atari, full of false P.R statements,  cancellations etc.

He should of focused on ensuring his Atari writing was sufficient, before trying to branch out with these story of..videos and company profiles, let alone A-Z Guides on formats like the MSX and NES.

But from what Landstalker has been showing us,  his ZX Spectrum work is as bad as his Atari work and justifies the likes of Chris Wilkins dropping him from the Thalamus book.

The formatting on that Postman Pat sample page is the worst i have seen since the Unseen 64 book, Kieren's has colour photos,but the text layout is just as horrendous. 

Edited by Lost Dragon

1 hour ago, Funkyspectrum said:

postman pat is a fucking terrible game. an absolute mess. 

I can appreciate he's tried to add a personal angle to the review, but surely any real writer plans the review around the confines of the word count available? 

So you'd write the review focusing on the game itself, this is after all a guide to games software and if you had space remaining, you'd say it had a special place in your childhood memories because...

Here Kieren has literally attempted to pack 10 pounds of shit into a 5 pound bag and it's gone everywhere.

• Haha 2

It’s about time new mirrors or updates videos were put up from the original posts. The claims that got the originals taken down can no longer be valid, and some stat up whilst others have gone down. The ‘Beware of Lairds lies’ video has no current active mirror, despite the sequel still being live on YouTube. If the original poster is here, we’d appreciate if it could be put back up or revised to get it back on YouTube:

https://www.bitchute.com/video/Vr0l6QuKry2M/

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Mr.T said:

It’s about time new mirrors or updates videos were put up from the original posts. The claims that got the originals taken down can no longer be valid, and some stat up whilst others have gone down. The ‘Beware of Lairds lies’ video has no current active mirror, despite the sequel still being live on YouTube. If the original poster is here, we’d appreciate if it could be put back up or revised to get it back on YouTube:

https://www.bitchute.com/video/Vr0l6QuKry2M/

Could there not be a website dedicated to this topic, containing all materials so that it stays up to date?

• Like 3

On 2/8/2020 at 9:42 PM, Welshworrier said:

Thanks to the guy who supplied this shot, I agree it would take a special kind of mind to make comments about suicide attempts and yet use smilies and a dig at LD the day later.

Apparently there was also a purge of "spies" from the group at the same time.

Screenshot_20200208-205117__01.jpg

I just wanted to bring this one back to the fore..

Yes i as Kieren put it, called Darryl Still out in Ultimate Future Games magazine ( that's magazine as in singular Kieren, not magazines, do try and get your claims right) and i was a Jaguar owner at the time.

I later questioned him again over his statements to the press many years later during a community RVG interview and did my own interview with him for ST Gamer Magazine Volume 1, as Kieren knows.

I'd happily ask him about more of his press claims, including the claim he made in Autumn of 1991.

Darryl tells the press that the ST is once again outselling the Amiga, but gives no figures what so ever, no ratio, nothing..so it's a meaningless, unfounded statement. 

Darryl then goes onto admit that software houses are reluctant to write games for the ST.

That even if an ST game sells 10,000 copies in the UK, it might only sell 2,000 copies in France and Germany. 

I'm sick to death of people like Kieren claiming the ST was still strong in Europe by time Jaguar launched, Atari should of launched in Europe before the USA etc.

When Atari UK can't even provide numbers to make claims credible, but freely admit the ST is on it's arse as a games machine, support and sales numbers wise, your revising history Kieren to suit your agenda, plain and simple.

https://www.heypoorplayer.com/2016/10/27/wolf-child-st/

What a load of utter nonsense. 

ST Wolfchild is a very poor show compared to the other 16-bit versions.

Jerky scrolling and no parallax scrolling at that.

Can only have the  (limited) in-game music or (awful) sound FX.

Did the  promised STE enhanced colour blended background graphics actually get done?

Yet more proof of Kieren's Pro-Atari stance acting like blinkers,  he can't bring himself to admit the ST version has little to recommend it, compared to rival platforms. 

And WTF Kieren? 

Wolf Child is one such game and also one that was later converted onto a few console formats, most famously as a launch game for Sega’s much-maligned Mega CD add-on where it was heavily criticised for taking advantage of the hardware on offer..

it was  heavily criticised FOR taking advantage of the hardware on offer????

:-S 

You mean not taking advantage and you'd be mistaken there as well.

It expands on the basic Mega Drive version :

Extended intro.

New areas and rearranged versions of the original games areas.

Improved transformation sequence. 

You just can't write an informative review anywhere can you?

Edited by Lost Dragon

"Back in 1989 it was almost unheard of for Ocean to release a game that wasn't a license."
Kieren Hawken A Compendium of ZX Spectrum Games . Quondam review Page 102

Seems like he wasn't paying much attention back then.
He missed 20, two of which were kind of a big deal in the gaming world at the time.

Armageddon 1983
Digger Dan 1983
Eco 1987
HEAD OVER HEELS 1987
Nightmare Rally 1986

The Great Escape 1986
Where Time Stood Still 1987
TLL 1985
Cosmic Wartoad 1985
N.o.m.a.d. 1986
Parallax 1986
Army Moves 1986
Navy Moves 1988
Mutants 1987
Double Take 1987
Wizball 1987
Firefly 1988
G.U.T.Z 1988
Voyager 1989
F29 Retaliator 1989

• Like 2

"the original soundtrack is a joy to behold." Bubble Bobble. Page 12.

Coincidentally his feelings are somewhat similar to the theme from Rainbow Islands, which strangely enough, is the sequel to the above game.

"the 128k rendition of Somewhere Over the Rainbow is just a joy to behold." Rainbow Islands Page 104

Behold:
to see or look at someone or something

What kind of a writer does not know the actual meaning of the words that are the tools of his trade?

On a game related note, here we have a "BEHOLDER".
It has many eyes.
It's not covered in ears!
That would be a "harkener"! 

Dungeons & Dragons Beholder Trophy - mtgandmore.de

Edited by Landstalker
  • Like 2

"Back in 1989 it was almost unheard of for Ocean to release a game that wasn't a license."

He missed 20, two of which were kind of a big deal in the gaming world at the time.

Armageddon 1983
Digger Dan 1983
Eco 1987
HEAD OVER HEELS 1987
Nightmare Rally 1986

The Great Escape 1986
TLL 1985
Cosmic Wartoad 1985
N.o.m.a.d. 1986
Parallax 1986
Army Moves 1986
Navy Moves 1988
Mutants 1987
Double Take 1987
Wizball 1987
Firefly 1988
G.U.T.Z 1988
Voyager 1989
F29 Retaliator 1989

I missed one myself, thank you to helpful types from afar.
Beach Volley 1989.
So that's 21.
If anyone else can find more, please let me know.
Ocean releasing original product? Unheard of.

Edited by Landstalker
  • Like 2

Kieren and Wolfchild part II:

'But here on the Atari ST it’s very much the opposite as Wolf Child really does show what the Atari ST can do in the right hands and looks bloomin’ gorgeous.'

If you had done the most basic of research Kieren, you'd of known Simon Phipps had to design Wolfchild to fit within the restraints of the ST hardware,  with the main character sprite alone, undergoing several redesigns. 

The original concept art (easily found online) shows a metal-clad character,  however to create such a character, you need both flesh tones and metallic hues and the ST could only offer 16 colours on screen, so the original design had to be abandoned. 

And then we get onto your Mega Drive review of the game, Volume 2 of your M.D A-Z Guides.

You state: 'Wolfchild was also released on the Mega CD,that version has enhanced audio and a stylish FMV into,but otherwise it's exactly the same.'

So your telling your readership and paying customers, you played the ST,Amiga, Mega Drive and Mega CD versions for your reviews.

You didn't notice the jerky scrolling and lack of Parallax etc on the ST version. 

You didn't notice the rearranged areas and totally new areas on the Mega CD version.

And you feel the ST version is the version to showcase?

Disgraceful. 

Beach Volley 1989.
So that's 21.

You could suppose that by 'license' Kieren's talking about movie/tv/etc. tie-in games? Although that doesn't really make the sentence less inaccurate. Cobra, Batman (Ritman game and Caped Crusader), Street Hawk, Miami Vice, Frankie, Platoon, Rambo, Short Circuit, Top Gun...oh, and Highlander of course. All those and many more before 1989.

3 minutes ago, Kim Justice said:

You could suppose that by 'license' Kieren's talking about movie/tv/etc. tie-in games? Although that doesn't really make the sentence less inaccurate. Cobra, Batman (Ritman game and Caped Crusader), Street Hawk, Miami Vice, Frankie, Platoon, Rambo, Short Circuit, Top Gun...oh, and Highlander of course. All those and many more before 1989.

When a writer presents himself as follows:

Kieren has been writing about video games for over 15 years working for a whole host of major publishers and websites including the award winning Retro Gamer magazine.

With over 50 books to his name, Kieren is one of the most prolific writers and authors within the video game sector. He is also credited as a script writer for numerous popular YouTube channels and as a contributing author on a host of books by other authors.

It shouldn't be the task of the reader to try and decipher the exact meaning from a statement. 

When the above bio is the first thing you find on Amazon.co.uk when looking into Kieren as a writer, it establishes Kieren as a very seasoned and experienced writer.

That's why so many of us are appalled by his actual written content,  from accuracy and understanding, to basic grammar and punctuation. 

Formatting issues etc can be blamed on the publisher, but the writing is 100% pure Kieren. 

He doesn't research.

He doesn't fact check.

He doesn't proof read.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Welshworrier said:

You could always watch his latest video and see how he reviews his Atari 8 bit book.

Amusingly he says the next one in hardback will be the c64, he thinks it'll be his best due to the extensive rewriting he's done.

:-)) HS2 has nothing on the amount of work needed to be done just to correct the factual inaccuracies in the C64 A-Z Guides he's written.

Barbarian and Action Fighter reviews needed reworking, remove Axe reference and latter wasn't a Spy Hunter sequel. 

Hawkeye will need reworking.

He will need to find a replacement for Victory Road.

Did i spy the generic Bill And Ted text in one volume?  

He might as well see if a grant is available as this is going to be a mammoth undertaking. 

If he really wants it to be his showcase volume,  may one suggest starting it from scratch and playing the games?.

Edited by Lost Dragon

4 hours ago, Landstalker said:

Beach Volley 1989.
So that's 21.

Phantom club.

Movie

Theres two more

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Landstalker said:

Armageddon 1983
Digger Dan 1983
Eco 1987
HEAD OVER HEELS 1987
Nightmare Rally 1986

The Great Escape 1986
TLL 1985
Cosmic Wartoad 1985
N.o.m.a.d. 1986
Parallax 1986
Army Moves 1986
Navy Moves 1988
Mutants 1987
Double Take 1987
Wizball 1987
Firefly 1988
G.U.T.Z 1988
Voyager 1989
F29 Retaliator 1989

Phantom Club 1987
Movie 1986
Gift from the Gods 1984
Beach Volley 1989

So 24 original games that he didn't know about or just couldn't be bothered researching.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Landstalker said:

Phantom Club 1987
Movie 1986
Gift from the Gods 1984
Beach Volley 1989

So 24 original games that he didn't know about or just couldn't be bothered researching.

Nightmare Rally, The Lost Patrol, Match Day, Match Day 2, International Match Day, Mailstrom,

Edited by zeropolis79
Mistake in one title
  • Thanks 1