IGNORED

The review of A-Z of Atari ST Games Volume 3 book RetroLaird is trying to delete!

17 hours ago, Mayhem said:

Very much willing to bet that isn’t him.

The only way I will be convinced it's him, is when all the fake Retro Girl reviews are pulled from Amazon.Co.Uk, along with his replies to our reviews of his books. 

He also needs to remove comments about myself here :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Atari_Lynx

Until then, no dice

"I have been aware of this situation with between Lairds Lair, An Atari forum, FB groups for awhile. All I can say is that I am staying neautral. I have no time to go through all the postings"

Wow, I mean......wow.

So, absolutely and utterly no condoning of ANY of his actions?

No need to go thru all the posts - just read the bullet points on page 1, and if after reading them, if you insist that what you have seen is not enough to stop you remaining neutral, it really says a lot about the kind of person you are.....

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LostInThePast said:

"I have been aware of this situation with between Lairds Lair, An Atari forum, FB groups for awhile. All I can say is that I am staying neautral. I have no time to go through all the postings"

Wow, I mean......wow.

So, absolutely and utterly no condoning of ANY of his actions?

No need to go thru all the posts - just read the bullet points on page 1, and if after reading them, if you insist that what you have seen is not enough to stop you remaining neutral, it really says a lot about the kind of person you are.....

That group is run by Peter J. Meyer, who was a member here by the name peteym5 until early last year when he was finally banned for continuing to create sock puppet accounts here on the forum.  I had warned him previously to stop doing this, but when he created yet more accounts to attack his critics and prop up his games, I finally had to put my foot down and ban him.  I posted a public message about that here:

After I banned Peter, he then created MORE accounts on the forum (none of which were approved) and then started doing the same thing on Facebook.  I've documented well over ten sock puppet accounts he created on Facebook, which he used to prop himself up as well as attack his critics (same as he was doing here).  He joined multiple FB groups with these fake accounts as well, which ultimately resulted in his getting banned from most of these groups. He then started the Facebook group where he made the above post about Kieren.  He's made multiple libelous comments about myself and AtariAge both publicly and privately, claiming that I was trying to steal code and ROMs from Video61, that I was trying to put Video61 out of business, and all sorts of other garbage.  This is just touching the surface.

Even the account he used to make the above post is a relatively new one, as apparently his main account was (finally?) banned from Facebook.  So, it comes as no surprise to me that he'll ignore everything that's posted in this thread.  I wouldn't give him much credence.

..Al

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Birds of a feather, or what?

I’ve got no idea who this guy is, but this ‘burying your head in the sand’ crap is exactly how we got here in the first place and in my experience, the words uttered by cowards and people of questionable ethics. They insist being apathetic maintains impartiality, when in fact they use their indifference to avoid responsibility for the actions of people who are clearly arseholes and will inevitably act that way again. It’s usually because they stand to gain something from them or someone associated with them, and believe it renders them immune to that exact behaviour. As time has shown, he has fucked everyone he has worked with in the past and this will come back to bite the stupid in the ass if they don’t take heed.

What is clear is that he has now burned all his bridges at home in the U.K. and he will be hard pushed to find anyone left here who will talk to him, let alone work with him. Going full circle, he has predictably gone back to the Americans to search for an avenue back into the hobby because 1: The place is nuts about Atari, whereas it’s a very niche pocket here and 2: The reach of the good folks here goes unnoticed over there, and when it comes to cashing in, the offers he will throw around in circles we have no reach to of writing whilst over-exaggerating his history and ability will be ignored in favour of the easy buck from an attention seeker only to willing to forcefully inject his crap into something. Not to mention associating with identical people of unwarranted self-importance like that Catherine DeSpira, who he bullshitted himself into favour with when she was being her usual bitch self hating on the people of Twin Galaxies and my friends involved in the Sky Skipper arcade restoration project some time back. Her claims of not speaking to anyone here are also horseshit, as she was hating on Alex Crowley online when Keyring joined in to make hateful statements about him and starting a trolling campaign against his popular YouTube channel, despite him only ever being at one event Alex was at and never actually exchanging a single word with him, the fucking liar. Just recently she stuck her nose in on a friend’s Facebook post claiming, as she does, that “everyone is a man baby and they throw unfounded accusations around” (sounds awfully familiar and generic like a certain wotsit doesn’t it?!), and that she “knows Kieren better than most people and he hasn’t done any of these things” - despite the fact she lives over 3000 fucking miles away, is a known pain in the arse over there, and she was so clueless about the situation she had made the big mistake of jumping in on a thread where the people talking (including myself) were people who’d had regular dealings with him in person on a frequent basis, were victims of his real life destructive behaviour and had done for several years in person. I rightfully told her to jog the fuck on as she had zero personal experience, zero defensive evidence for his proven actions and therefore zero opinion. Anything she says is clearly then of absolutely no relevance whatsoever, as is that of anyone defending or acting indifferent to him in the face of months of clear evidence of a lifetime of being a piece of shit. If they choose to do so it means they are clearly trying to use him for their own gain too, and it will bite them in the ass.

Several publishers have found this to their detriment already so far, and I learned this week that some guy over there is using some of Keyrun’s work in his book as an easy way to get it completed, knows fully about his history and terrible writing quality, and has openly said he will still use his work because “there’s two sides to a story”. Well no, not in this case, and if he really didn’t care, then why is it he is hiding his name from the Kickstarter and now refraining from mentioning him despite claiming his reputation is irrelevant? Oh, and I should mention this is a Nintendo book, of all things - the company he hates and berates at every given opportunity (even in irrelevant articles), declaring the NES one of the worst systems of all time with ‘no good games’. Perfect for a book aimed at Nintendo fans....?

Integrity is everything in this life, and the common factor in anyone left associating with him is that they have anything but. They deserve to be burned by him for their greed and desire for controversial infamy, however negative.

Edited by Mr.T
  • Like 6

"In this book I take you through the life of the 2600 looking a varied cross section of the 600+ games available with a small review and screenshot of each one. This is not a list of the best games, a list of the worst or indeed a complete guide to what’s available. The A-Z of Atari 2600 Games Volume 1 is just that, the first volume of my look at a selection of VCS games in alphabetical order. There are three games featured for each letter and these range from the earliest released, to modern homebrews and even unreleased prototypes. Hopefully this book gives you some inspiration to try games you’ve never played before or bulk up your personal collection. You might even find it generates the same amount of nostalgia for you that I had writing it. Most of all though I hope you enjoy reading it and remember what makes the Atari 2600 so great"

"In this book I take you through the life of the Philips CD-i looking at a varied cross section of the 2000+ games available with a small review and screenshot of each one. This is not a list of the best games, a list of the worst or indeed a complete guide to what’s available. The A-Z of Philips CD-i Games is just that, a detailed look at a selection of CD-i games and multimedia discs in alphabetical order. There are three titles featured for each letter and these range from the earliest released in the 1991, to the last range of releases in the late-eighties and even modern homebrews. Hopefully this book gives you some inspiration to try games you’ve never played before or bulk up your own Philips CD-i collection. You might even find it that brings back happy memories of unwrapping Christmas and birthday presents or inviting your friends round after school to show off the latest game you bought. Most of all though I hope you enjoy reading it and remember what makes the Philips CD-i such an interesting machine to own and collect for. "

The claim of having "written 50+ books" is an absolute crock.
He's cobbled one together (badly I must add) and tweaked it here and there 50+ times to accommodate other systems.

Edited by Landstalker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, KidGameR186496 said:

He sent me a friend request a few minutes ago. I don't want to do anything with him so I blocked him...

He's just spamming everyone with friend requests and requests to join his group.  It's the only reason he has so many friends (on FB) as well as so many members in his group.  He even sent me a friend request with this new account!

..Al

• Haha 3

On the subject of Turds of a feather, brief update after receiving a notification at work this evening. 

Shaun McClure aka dpaint has shown his true colour, yellow as in cowardly.. 

Apparently he passed on the email I sent after Kieren ran squealing to him about the dpaint 5 star reviews being removed from Amazon. Co. UK, after adult discussions about review manipulation. 

Wasn't boasting, as Kieren ran to him saying just letting Vince who exposed Shaun as dpaint, know matter was closed. 

And Kieren, one of the benifits of owning some moral fiber, is the belief a community like Amazon deserves genuine reviews, not the sham affairs you and Shaun left for each other. 

I'll leave Shaun to explain his account of why he let Kieren write for him,suffice to say either Shaun or Kieren is lying. 

Perhaps he can also explain his rather unique views on women in the games industry and senior industry staff...

I'm not going to lower myself to posting old email exchanges from Shaun to myself over the years as they would cause upset to individuals i have no beef with and it's exactly what Kieren wants from all of this. 

But as for Shaun, I honestly pity you Sir, i really do. 

It speaks volumes that both Shaun and Kieren felt the need to fake review each other's work and give each other 5 stars, than have the confidence it would sell on it's own merits. 

If anything good comes of Horagate and the aftermath, it's a list of writers, YT channels, publishers etc who don't deserve a minute of our time, let alone money..

Anyone willing to bed down with Kieren, defend him, feed him private information after everything that has been exposed about him, is simply a disgrace. 

Mr T. put it better than i:

Integrity is everything in this life, and the common factor in anyone left associating with him is that they have anything but. They deserve to be burned by him for their greed and desire for controversial infamy, however negative.

Edited by Lost Dragon
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, KidGameR186496 said:

He sent me a friend request a few minutes ago. I don't want to do anything with him so I blocked him...

Right, I got a message request earlier today and I looked at his avatar thinking he seems familiar, but I've enough facebook "friends" and I tend not to add anyone else let alone anyone currently outside my circle. I guess he sent the message (if you respond it opens up a dialogue and allows him to video message you etc) thinking we have so many common mutual friends in gaming circles but otherwise I had no idea why he messaged me but something just was not sitting right with me. So I deleted the conversation without responding, if there is another attempt I will be sure to straight up block. ?

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, OldSchoolRetroGamer said:

Right, I got a message request earlier today and I looked at his avatar thinking he seems familiar, but I've enough facebook "friends" and I tend not to add anyone else let alone anyone currently outside my circle. I guess he sent the message (if you respond it opens up a dialogue and allows him to video message you etc) thinking we have so many common mutual friends in gaming circles but otherwise I had no idea why he messaged me but something just was not sitting right with me. So I deleted the conversation without responding, if there is another attempt I will be sure to straight up block. ?

I also got a message request. Apparently Kieren been spreading some lies again (surprise surprise). Nothing that we couldn't have guessed anyway. 

• Like 1

On 6/7/2020 at 8:45 AM, Landstalker said:

It looks like that message thread has been deleted now. 

Interesting that it was discussing whether links to Kieren's work should be allowed, and specified that he wasn't a member of the group. However, he used to be. I wonder why he left? ? 

Screenshot_20200609-083257.png

For anyone mildly interested in the Peter and Kieren love story on Facebook.

Kieren deleted peters "atariage are devils, can I make money off here" post (paraphrase).

Mind you the discussion took a turn for the worse in a different thread. Nice to see the people who are now attracted to Kieren though.

Screenshot_20200610_135759.jpg

Screenshot_20200610_110110.jpg

Besides Peter sounding like a crazy lunatic (especially in that longer wall of text comment), I want to  note two things about the first comment above:

image.png

I warned Peter MULTIPLE times over the period of several years to stop creating additional sock puppet accounts on AtariAge.  When I caught him doing this yet again at the beginning of 2019, I finally banned him.  And even then he continued to create new accounts (and then went crazy doing the same thing on Facebook, which he admitted to doing multiple times).  To say he was banned without warning and "that was their goal all along" is ludicrous.  He's just spewing lies to try and make me and AtariAge look bad, typical of people who get banned.

And as for Peter's comment, "I am glad to be off that forum", well then, Peter, why did you create several additional new accounts on the forum here at the end of last year and the beginning of this year?  One of which you were using to solicit 7800 programming advice?  I nuked those three accounts once I discovered them, but I wouldn't be surprised if you've created more since then.  Again, more lies.

image.png

The JacksonK72 account was created on April 5th, 2020.

image.png

He proceeded to use this account to attack Sal, which he did also in the above long rant..

JacksonK72_Sal_Forum_Post_2_2020-04-06.png

JacksonK72_Sal_Forum_Post_1_2020-04-06.png

He even sent SAL a PM directly to harass him:

JacksonK72 to Sal AtariAge PM 2020-04-06.jpg

I didn't mask the above IPs, as Peter was using a proxy or VPN to try and conceal his identity:

JacksonK72_Account_IPAddresses_2020-04-06.png

Here are all the IPs used by his "RALPH!" account, which is the one he was using to solicit 7800 programming advice:

image.png

He slipped up with two of them, though, revealing his actual location in Buffalo, New York, which is where he resides.

But, yeah, AtariAge is the bad guy here.

..Al

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 6/7/2020 at 2:52 PM, Albert said:

That group is run by Peter J. Meyer, who was a member here by the name peteym5 until early last year when he was finally banned for continuing to create sock puppet accounts here on the forum.  I had warned him previously to stop doing this, but when he created yet more accounts to attack his critics and prop up his games, I finally had to put my foot down and ban him.  I posted a public message about that here:

After I banned Peter, he then created MORE accounts on the forum (none of which were approved) and then started doing the same thing on Facebook.  I've documented well over ten sock puppet accounts he created on Facebook, which he used to prop himself up as well as attack his critics (same as he was doing here).  He joined multiple FB groups with these fake accounts as well, which ultimately resulted in his getting banned from most of these groups. He then started the Facebook group where he made the above post about Kieren.  He's made multiple libelous comments about myself and AtariAge both publicly and privately, claiming that I was trying to steal code and ROMs from Video61, that I was trying to put Video61 out of business, and all sorts of other garbage.  This is just touching the surface.

Even the account he used to make the above post is a relatively new one, as apparently his main account was (finally?) banned from Facebook.  So, it comes as no surprise to me that he'll ignore everything that's posted in this thread.  I wouldn't give him much credence.

..Al

In the words of Jim Lahey from Trailer Park Boys: "Birds of a shit feather flock together."

On 8 de junio de 2020 at 10:18 AM, Landstalker said:

"In this book I take you through the life of the 2600 looking a varied cross section of the 600+ games available with a small review and screenshot of each one. This is not a list of the best games, a list of the worst or indeed a complete guide to what’s available. The A-Z of Atari 2600 Games Volume 1 is just that, the first volume of my look at a selection of VCS games in alphabetical order. There are three games featured for each letter and these range from the earliest released, to modern homebrews and even unreleased prototypes. Hopefully this book gives you some inspiration to try games you’ve never played before or bulk up your personal collection. You might even find it generates the same amount of nostalgia for you that I had writing it. Most of all though I hope you enjoy reading it and remember what makes the Atari 2600 so great"

"In this book I take you through the life of the Philips CD-i looking at a varied cross section of the 2000+ games available with a small review and screenshot of each one. This is not a list of the best games, a list of the worst or indeed a complete guide to what’s available. The A-Z of Philips CD-i Games is just that, a detailed look at a selection of CD-i games and multimedia discs in alphabetical order. There are three titles featured for each letter and these range from the earliest released in the 1991, to the last range of releases in the late-eighties and even modern homebrews. Hopefully this book gives you some inspiration to try games you’ve never played before or bulk up your own Philips CD-i collection. You might even find it that brings back happy memories of unwrapping Christmas and birthday presents or inviting your friends round after school to show off the latest game you bought. Most of all though I hope you enjoy reading it and remember what makes the Philips CD-i such an interesting machine to own and collect for. "

The claim of having "written 50+ books" is an absolute crock.
He's cobbled one together (badly I must add) and tweaked it here and there 50+ times to accommodate other systems.

Jesus. Even if somebody pointed out my writing mistakes, I would admit that i'm not one of the best writers when it comes to making game reviews. See for example the two articles I've done for Hardcore Gaming 101 (AirCars and Super Burnout). Now about that claim of having wrote 50+ books is a complete load of bollocks from Kieren to inflate his self-esteem. Having done various articles and rewriting many more at Wikipedia, I NEVER intend and I SWEARED myself never taking any of them to GA (Good Article) status. It's just a meaningless checkmark to boost an editor's ego. What truly counts for me is the reader using what I did for good and that's enough to make me happy about my work on the website. I do what I do on Wikipedia, as an example, for the people and not for me.

Also, 2000+ games on the CD-i? Is he fucking mental? There's maybe 500+ pieces of software on the CD-i but when it comes to games, the number is much lower than that but I may be wrong in that area. I've attempted to rework CD-i list but is such a CHORE, more so than the X68000 game list, due to the way everything needs to be arranged in their own area (Games, Movies, Music, etc.).

• Like 1

He knows his "writing skills" are non-existent so he blocks all negative comments and relies on fake 5 star reviews from his family and other sock puppets as well as the equally useless hack Shaun McClure.
If he does not have the confidence in his own abilities and needs to rely on fake admiration then this speaks volumes about a man with no morals, talent and the personality of a shit-filled sock. 

• Like 2

Never mind his writing skills, his research skills are non-existent. 

He wrote about Thalion for Retrogamer Magazine, yet in his CD-i  A to Z manages to review the likes of:

The Apprentice and Steel Machine,without grasping anything about their development history. 

A simple Goggle search and... 

Stefan Posthuma wrote:SPC/Vision...CD-i and Steel Machine. There is a bit of a story here, one I haven't really shared before so why not? Back in the late 80s and early 90s I was part of a thriving demo scene in Europe. These were the glory days of the Atari ST as well as the Commodore Amiga. I started coding games and other stuff as early as 1982 (I was 15 at the time) on the Commodore VIC-20. One game of those days is still out there, 'Hades' on the Commodore 64. On the Atari ST I was part of a demo crew called 'The Lost Boys' together with Tim Moss and his brother David Moss. Another very popular crew was The Carebears from Sweden, Niklas Malmqvist was the graphics artist for that one. For all the gory details about the demo scene see this article. The Atari ST has a 68000 processor and demo coding was all about squeezing every single bit of performance out of it. You'll find out why this is important in a bit.

During the demo days I worked for a company in Holland called SPC/Company. I worked on business software for banks and insurance companies. The demo and game coding was all done in my spare time. Then in the early nineties, the so-called 'multimedia' revolution started and Phillips released the CD-i platform. SPC/Company was also in the training business and saw the CD-i as a good training platform. When we got the first development machine in the office and I spent some time with it, I quickly realized it had a 68000 processor and a fairly unique graphics setup that allowed for some interesting experiments. I still remember asking Phillips for an assembler and debugger so I could write low-level code. They had little clue what I meant so I was on my own. Those 68000 demo coding skills came in handy and a couple of weeks of late night hacking sessions later I had a sprite and scrolling engine going. I then wrote a very simple game around this, a shoot-them-up based on one of my old Commodore games called 'Alien Gate'. When I showed this to my boss he more or less fell off his chair and a week later we were sitting in an office at Phillips. The same reaction happened there and we walked out with a contract to do five games.

I knew how to proceed and hired some of my demo coding buddies like Tim Moss, Niklas Malmqvist and Dave Moss who was a talented musician. Alien Gate was our first project. Once we shipped our first title, things got a bit more involved, we set up a new company called SPC/Vision, hired a few more demo guys (Arjen Wagenaar, Luc Verhulst) and started a new set of projects. Arjen did Dimo's Quest, Tim and Luc Verhulst embarked on the highly ambitious Apprentice and Niklas and I did Steel Machine. The interesting thing is that these games were done very old-school. One coder, writing pure 68000 assembly and one artist. David Moss did all the music and that was it. I remember many long nights in the SPC office hacking away, playing Doom and having much fun.

So Steel Machine...it was my homage to the great shoot-them-ups on the Commodore 64. Uridium was the inspiration for the core mechanics and look and feel of the game. I was a huge fan of Jeff Minter games so a lot of the other mechanics (and I guess punishing difficulty) came from there. It was a fairly ambitious game in terms of technical coding with lots of sprites and scrolling. The CD-i platform was challenging, it wasn't designed for this kind of software, had little to no developer support and Phillips had no experience with game development. I still remember the producer they assigned to us had a degree in biology or something like that and no technical or games experience. Their test center was in Belgium and they also struggled with our titles. Debugging 100% assembly code is tough at the best of times and on the CD-i there were some nightmare bugs that took many, many hours to find and fix. Still, we were proud of the end result and played the game quite a bit around the office. Now when it comes to codes, help with playing the game or anything like that, I can't help you I'm afraid. It has been more than 20 years and I remember little to nothing about it.

After Steel Machine shipped I started realizing that writing games professionally was far more interesting than the other software I worked on (and still was involved with on top of writing Steel Machine) so I started getting restless. We certainly had pushed the limits of the CD-i and I wanted more. I got about 75% done with a Defender homage (the name escapes me) that sparked the Golden Oldies (dubious copyright issues led to the alternative names and stuff), we did Accelerator and work was started on Lucky Luke. I found a job with a company in Toronto, Canada and early 1995 was on a plane to Canada. I met a nice girl, moved to Vancouver and started work for Electronic Arts. I am married to that nice girl now and still work at EA so it has been a good run.

So there you have it. Working on CD-i was great, we treated it like any other demo coding we did. Many hours (day and night, we didn't care) doing hardcore assembly coding, listening to speed metal and goofing off. The Apprentice is probably the one we had the most fun with, given all the easter eggs and other little things that were in it. We all moved on after that. Tim has a very good career at Sony, he is part of the team that did God of War so he is doing just fine :-). Niklas is still in Sweden, he is the Director of Art for King of Candy Crush fame (he did the original artwork for it). Needless to say he is doing well too. David Moss works on mobile games and I run quality engineering (software testing) at EA.

http://www.cdinteractive.co.uk/forums/cdinteractive/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3031&p=15183&hilit=Steel+machine#p15183

He also totally f**ked up the origins of Atlantis:Last Resort and again a simple Goggle search and:

https://cdii.blogspot.com/2011/07/paul-clarke-about-atlantis-last-resort.html

Yet still people use him as a writer for his experience... 

There aren't enough genuine games on the CD-i to do a trilogy of guides and then a comprdium. 

All the key games developers have been interviewed over the years. 

Even i chatted to Martin Piper about Creature Shock on the platform. 

Edited by Lost Dragon
  • Like 1

Not too long ago I was made a moderator for Peters "Atari 6502 Game Development" group on Facebook.

Thought it would be far distanced from anything Kizza related.  Plus, I need to get a handle on 6502 and 68k assembly.

Should I stay just to block and delete anything related to Kizza?  Or, is it better to make an egress?

UPDATE:  Removed myself.  Worrying about these kinds of things is bad for my health.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Welshworrier said:

So who's the other publisher who would use him for a book?

I'm guessing the level of his involvement is actually much less than he's claiming but still.....

Screenshot_20200613_201655.jpg

So this means targeting women, baiting the retro community via countless fake accounts and copying material from Wikipedia.

3 hours ago, Buffalo Biff Burgertime said:

A certain name caught my ear as I was listening to this earlier... start at 1:56, I've timestamped it.

Cat DeSpira. I remember a bit of "Cat Who?" after Kieren thanked her at the end of his 19 pages of toilet paper.

Surprised?
Not really. 

• Like 2