IGNORED

WHT blocked by Symantec (Norton)

atrax27407

It appears that after using Norton anti-virus for years, it has suddenly decided (today) to completely block my access to WHT as a "hazardous site". When I tried to sign on today, it completely blocked access. It looks like it is a "history recognition" problem. If anyone has direct contact with Don O'Neill, see if he can contact Symantec and straighten the situation out.

Ordinarily, there is. However, this time, it won't even let you proceed to the site. When you try to continue, it continues to block access. I have no idea what is going on - I have been able to access for about as long as it has been in existence - until today! The info has been passed on to Don. 

Edited by atrax27407
  • Like 1

https://safeweb.norton.com/report/show?url=ftp.whtech.com

It's that a file was found on the ftp site that was a bitcoin trojan.. or something else bad..either way I deleted the instance of the file and 5 other copies that were uploaded with a bunch of WAV files MANY YEARS AGO..  the program was for windows, and it was called photo.scr, if you have that on your drive, delete it immediately..   I can only assume the person that uploaded the pile of wav files in the past had a compromised pc..  

I've emailed Don that runs whtech and asked him to submit to norton for a rescan

Greg 

• Thanks 2

On 1/22/2020 at 3:07 AM, arcadeshopper said:

im working on them they are not responding

That is outrageous! I mean, someone's business may depend on that, and those snake oil people have the power to shut down your site? And do not respond? And you cannot declare exceptions? Wow.

I'm glad not to have that Norton stuff on my machines. For my Windows partitions I rely on the Windows Defender.

• Like 3

That is outrageous! I mean, someone's business may depend on that, and those snake oil people have the power to shut down your site? And do not respond? And you cannot declare exceptions? Wow.

I'm glad not to have that Norton stuff on my machines. For my Windows partitions I rely on the Windows Defender.
Agreed most of the commercial and some of the"free" programs that say they protect you really are just collecting revenue and data for sale.

Malwarebytes and whatever windows comes with free is sufficient.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

Unless you work at Malwarebytes you got nothin to say

hehehe nope.  But I will say, the product I sell provides both business and home products.  The basic business products are rock-solid (the add-ons notwithstanding, which I mostly disable for customers.)  However, the home products division was infected several years back by Norton management refugees and as a result I no longer endorse, sell, nor support the home products even though doing so violates my reseller agreement.  I have ruffled more than a few feathers within management, but I am also a top reseller -- money talks and bullshit walks.