IGNORED

WHT blocked by Symantec (Norton)

atrax27407

FWIW, I sent feedback to Symantec expressing my displeasure with the performance of their product and explained that I have been accessing the WHT site for many years without any problems whatsoever. Then, in the past year the site has been suddenly declared "hazardous" with no way to bypass the block and no explanation as to why it has been blocked. I'll have to see if they respond. I do know that there has been a change in appearance (and possible functionality) in the past couple of weeks. Maybe they lost some of their "safe sites"

Edited by atrax27407
  • Like 1

My own AV - Trend Micro - has been blocking Harmlesslion.com's downloads sporadically, telling me it has "confirmed" malicious activity. Yet I can't find any, the same software on my PC doesn't show any issues, VirusTotal doesn't report any issues. I've had a ticket open with them since November, which they emailed to let me know they were going to close if I was happy. I told them that I was not, and they started it around the loop again.

I've been wondering whether getting a proper signing cert would help these false positives, but it'd be nice if they'd tell me that's what it was before I spend the money.

• Like 1

My own AV - Trend Micro - has been blocking Harmlesslion.com's downloads sporadically, telling me it has "confirmed" malicious activity. Yet I can't find any, the same software on my PC doesn't show any issues, VirusTotal doesn't report any issues. I've had a ticket open with them since November, which they emailed to let me know they were going to close if I was happy. I told them that I was not, and they started it around the loop again.

I've been wondering whether getting a proper signing cert would help these false positives, but it'd be nice if they'd tell me that's what it was before I spend the money.

Are you using letsencrypt?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

38 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

oh ok you gotta pay monkeysoft to sign your apps. yeah that's a pita

I thought you could buy a code-signing certificate with a Windows-recognized root for signing applications.  I know a couple of secure certificate sources which were at one time selling cs-certs relatively inexpensively.  I would be happy to speak with my sales contacts if that would help.

7 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

I thought you could buy a code-signing certificate with a Windows-recognized root for signing applications.  I know a couple of secure certificate sources which were at one time selling cs-certs relatively inexpensively.  I would be happy to speak with my sales contacts if that would help.

You can, as I said, I've never tried.

I don't think Microsoft sells certs.

Edit: and sure, I'd be interested in at least seeing what they offer :)

Edited by Tursi

2 hours ago, atrax27407 said:

It could be that some of the recent uploads to WHT are to blame.

It could also be that they are false positive on something. OR like last time a file that's been there for years has something naughty in it. One file on a site doesn't make the site BAD.. instead of blocking the site they should block the file. AND maybe notify the site owner.

Recent uploads by me were the dumps of DDCC1 and Corcomp controllers. If those were the reason, this would mean that those heuristics of Norton are just crappy.

(Well, those dumps are DSRs that provide direct access to a disk medium. However, I strongly doubt that Norton knows TMS9900 assembler. :) )

13 hours ago, Tursi said:

You can, as I said, I've never tried.

I don't think Microsoft sells certs.

Edit: and sure, I'd be interested in at least seeing what they offer :)

We purchased one of these at work a few weeks ago for signing a Windows app. It's working fine, but the procedure for downloading was a bit cumbersome (needed a specific version of Firefox):

https://comodosslstore.com/codesigning.aspx

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Asmusr said:

We purchased one of these at work a few weeks ago for signing a Windows app. It's working fine, but the procedure for downloading was a bit cumbersome (needed a specific version of Firefox):

https://comodosslstore.com/codesigning.aspx

Yup.  Dem's my boyz.  I will see about working a discount on retail :)

• Like 1

Norton and SEP are essentially the same product, now.  The difference is Symantec is the enterprise business class product with centralized management while Norton is the consumer version with bloat, nagware, and pretty UI.

1990, My first interaction with a computer virus was a brand new mouse, we opened it as we were preparing some computers for use by Citibank. We installed the packages mouse driver and went to copy that file to another floppy and the genius that was running the show immediately noticed the size of the file changed. He then grabbed a hex editor and read the boot sections and we all saw this, (c) 1986 Pakistani brain.

Of course he said, virus.. and it was the first time I had even heard that word.

Google shows it here

Brain was written by Amjad Farooq Alvi and Basit Farooq Alvi, who at the time lived in Chah Miran, near Lahore Railway Station, in Lahore, Pakistan. The brothers told TIME magazine they had written it to protect their medical software from piracy, and it was supposed to target copyright infringement only.

Edited by GDMike