IGNORED

Printer config file question

So I have our old Canon Bubble Jet BJ-100 printer (black ink only and parallel cable) but I am trying out how to configure it properly in 1st word or any other program. in 1st word the closest I got was the Star NL-10 (ibm) although it continues to force a second blank page to print the page number on the bottom. Any help or suggestions on how to find or create a proper config file so many years later?

Coconut(Kristen)

I'm just going off memory, but it seems like there is a text file on the First Word disk that holds the printer configuration. You can edit it and enter the proper numbers for your printer.

Again, I'm just going off memory from when I did it many years ago.

I still have an Atari ST, but it's been years since I had it hooked up to a printer.

I think many of the Bubblejets from that period have an epson dot matrix emulation mode iirc, you can probably switch to that using the DIP switches on the printer (if it is old enough to have them). Then you can choose an Epson compatible printer - I think the Bubblejets have a slightly non standard 360dpi output, which matches 24pin dot matrix printers well, but if not you could try a 9pin version, you just wont get the same resolution. The Star NL 10 was also Epson compatible iirc so that is probably why you are getting output.

I think the page feed thing is something to do with a control code (this might be controlled from the page setup menu option). I vaguelly remember lots of people having problems with this in magazine answer sections. I would also check you page length as if it is too long it can also cause a page feed as the page runs onto the next one. If you can find the Epson FX 80 print command list then you should be able to track down the offending code line easily enough.