IGNORED

Is Best Electronics gone?

jeff20

3 minutes ago, Tron Unit said:

Yeah that website is so 1994.  I have a really hard time navigating and trying to find what I’m looking for.  But if that’s how he wants to run it good for him.

The site was ridiculous even back in 1999, so I think he just likes it that way.  All the recently-printed flyers and ads he includes in his shipping materials look the same way.

For what it's worth, I've ordered 3 different times from him in the last month or two, and he's always responded and shipped immediately.  It's possible there are certain things he doesn't feel like shipping, or he just doesn't want to bother with complicated orders.

If you want to order from him, my advice is to keep it brief, simple, and to the point.  Don't ask for more than 4 or 5 things at once.

I know it's crazy to have to bend over backwards to order from someone, but it's not like we have a lot of other options!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/22/2020 at 5:52 PM, ApolloBoy said:

I’m in the process of ordering from Brad and I too had to dig through my spam folder to find his response to my inquiry.

I really want someone to volunteer to clean up his website because we’re now in 2020 and frankly it’s inexcusable that his site still looks the way it does. You also have to look at the addendum to get an up-to-date list of his stock, and even then he still lists stuff that’s been out of stock for ages. I asked about possibly getting an 800 top case, but he’s been out of stock for over 17 years and he’ll never get any in. Granted he lists it as out of stock, but there comes a time when you need to take stuff off the list because it’s been out of stock for so long.

A shopping cart system would do wonders for him too, having to contact him in such a specific way just to order something is a pain TBH.

I like his website. I'd prefer for most websites to be like his. Simple to maintain & load. 

1 hour ago, pacman000 said:

I like his website. I'd prefer for most websites to be like his. Simple to maintain & load. 

I appreciate a simple website, but his website isn't simple.  It's completely disorganized and it takes a lot of effort to find something (or to be certain you found the most recent information on the site).  There are large sections that are scans of catalog pages, so you can't search them!  And the font is ridiculously large.  ?

• Like 3

Tried not to hang around the site too long with no secure connection, but I did like this blurb:

"I over paid for an eBay logoAtari item!  E-Bay is a great place for Atari Bargains, but over the last 14 to 15+ years we have seen Atari E-bay bidders over pay for thousands of New and Used Atari items that have No Warranty at all, when Best Electronics has the exact same New Atari item in stock for less money with the normal Atari 90 Day Warranty (same Atari Warranty for the last 35+ years)"

Quite a testimony.  To be in business 35+ years and still offer 90 day warranties.   And I think what makes them great is they offer all the things that are normally not thought of.  Need a small part?  They probably got it.  Just pad your order with $15 more stuff.  :P

Odd yet consistent.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, doctorclu said:

Quite a testimony.  To be in business 35+ years and still offer 90 day warranties.   And I think what makes them great is they offer all the things that are normally not thought of.  Need a small part?  They probably got it.  Just pad your order with $15 more stuff.  :P

Odd yet consistent.

I bought a new 130XE motherboard from him and it was about 1/2 of what used defective ones were selling for on eBay.

About 2 months in I noticed a weird glitch where any single character (I think two spaces in from the right of the screen) would show up inverted.  Only seemed to be in BASIC.  He had me send it back and I had another new one within a few days.

I often wonder how much stock he actually has and what it would go for if he ever decides to sell the business.  I'd love to buy a business like that after I retire, as it seems like it would be a lot of fun.  And even though I'm planning on moving to a warmer climate, the current location is still a huge issue due to the crazy cost of living in that area.  After setting up a business, buying or renting a proper warehouse, utilities, taxes, etc. would the profits cover all of that, let alone leave you with extra money for your own life?

If you bought a house and store front out there 35+ years ago when prices were still sane and owned it outright, you'd probably be golden.  I'm also thinking there is so much stuff, packing and shipping it half way across the country wouldn't be feasible.

Hopefully it doesn't all end up as e waste. 

Edited by Turbo-Torch
  • Like 2

On 2/28/2020 at 10:33 AM, Tron Unit said:

Yeah that website is so 1994.  I have a really hard time navigating and trying to find what I’m looking for.  But if that’s how he wants to run it good for him.

Maybe so it still works on Atari computers...?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jbehrends said:

Just dropped two 5200 controllers in the mail this morning to get exchanged.  I'm excited to finally see what it's like to use controllers that actually work!

Your going to like them. I have two sets of Best Rebuilt CX52 controllers and they’ve been working great for about 2 years now.  I also purchased their rebuilt CX40s and like them too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shawn said:

30 feet or 30 seconds. Whichever comes first.

In the automotive industry we call this a taillight warranty.  When we can't see your taillights from the dealership anymore, it's out or warranty!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I contacted him the other day about an order, and apparently I wanted one too many items. So I narrowed it down to three and replied back to him, but I haven't heard anything back. Does anyone know if he reads or gets reply emails? Or do you have to send a separate new email with "Atari" in the title to keep the conversation going?

Just from the nature of his first response, I get the feeling he doesn't exactly care to make every sale he possibly can. I've dealt with a lot of retired former business owners who ran things in similar ways, and they're of a certain breed for sure. They often have loads of cool stuff, but it's just so hard to buy anything from them if they don't care to get rid of it. There's more than likely some degree of sentimental attachment to the stuff he's been dealing in for the past 30 years.

Here's to hoping the stars will align and I'll be able to make a transaction with him.

2 minutes ago, Warmsignal said:

Just from the nature of his first response, I get the feeling he doesn't exactly care to make every sale he possibly can. I've dealt with a lot of retired former business owners who ran things in similar ways, and they're of a certain breed for sure. They often have loads of cool stuff, but it's just so hard to buy anything from them if they don't care to get rid of it. There's more than likely some degree of sentimental attachment to the stuff he's been dealing in for the past 30 years.

That's it exactly.  I've had good luck with him, but always kept my orders super simple and down to 3 items or so. On the positive side: when he does grace you with an accepted order, he takes care of it right away.  I've ordered 3 times or so this year and always got what I ordered with a few days.

• Like 1

My last emails with Brad last year I thought were being ignored. The irony was that with all of his warnings of how to format your emails so they get through to him, his reply emails were being flagged by Gmail as SPAM. [emoji23][emoji1787]

It took we two weeks to figure it out when I thought he was ignoring me he replied within 48 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jamm said:

That's it exactly.  I've had good luck with him, but always kept my orders super simple and down to 3 items or so. On the positive side: when he does grace you with an accepted order, he takes care of it right away.  I've ordered 3 times or so this year and always got what I ordered with a few days.

Has he ever replied to a reply chain of emails? That's the riddle I'm stuck in right now. Don't want to come across as too pushy, but I don't know how to proceed since my reply had a RE: in it, technically speaking. Send a separate email again, or just wait?

Edited by Warmsignal
  • Like 1

I've bought a bunch of XEGS motherboards from Best recently, for the custom chips, and he has been very responsive and quick to ship. I often do wonder how much stock he actually does have remaining. I bought 4 motherboards and asked him how many he had left (so I could figure out how many I should get before he ran out), but his reply was 'I have plenty'.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ordered some parts on Saturday for restoring an Atari 1040ST.   

I listed out the parts I needed, using the codes on his website, asked for a final total with shipping and also quoted my customer number, which I think helps alot.

Brad got back to me Saturday night with a final cost, and I paid him via PayPal on Sunday.

Parts arrived today.

I've ordered dozens, possibly hundreds of things from Best over the years including my 4160STE and my Jaguar.  I've never had a problem with Brad, and I appreciate that he continues to support our ancient machines.

• Like 2