IGNORED

Is Best Electronics gone?

jeff20

I agree that Brad can run his business anyway he sees fit.  However, I did run into a bit of a snafu with him once when, after I inquired about the stock availability on about 4 or 5 open-box 2600 titles, he told me that he was so busy and had already had more orders than could be shipped by the end of the month.  Well, that told me I wouldn't get them in time since I needed them for a gift in a week, so I never officially made the order.  Fast forward about 4-5 months and, and I'm trying to order something again...this time, however, there are no more responses to my email inquiries; and I mean I tried my work email, multiple home emails, etc.  I also followed his email title instructions in order to avoid his SPAM filters from his end, and I never found one response from him in any of my SPAM boxes either, lol. 

Anyway, I chalked it up to him being angry with me for not making that order months before and it dawned on me that he must have some elaborate methodology in place that notifies/warns him when that offending customer returns for more Atari!:)  At any rate, it didn't stop me.  I just called him directly and made the order that way...he did take over a month to ship the items to me, which is extremely uncommon for him, while charging me right away.  Still, no matter, I will continue to order from him in the future.  I figure he has been at this for decades and his ways are set, well fine.  Just have to learn his ways I suppose.

Edited by Trellot
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My last transaction with Best Electronics was disappointing; my suggestion would be just to charge-back your purchase if he shilly-shallies or botches your order.  If you're given some lame-o, run-a-round song & dance. . . just charge it back.  I wouldn't worry about being on his "list". . . who cares; he doesn't really offer any service or merchandise that you can't find from someone else these days.  You might pay a little more, but to me that's a small consolation if the transaction is equitable and professional.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Has anyone made contact with BeST Electronics recently? I just dusted off my ST after letting it take a beating in my garage for the past 12 years. I'm completely shocked that it still works just fine, but my mouse has seen better days. I need to get a new one.

I tried emailing him the other day, but the email bounced.

Just now, slx said:

You really have to wonder why he doesn‘t get an email address with his own domain name....

Thanks for the new one, though!

I know, right?  That email address is kind of crazy in this day and age!  That is, once you scroll down that huge page to find it. Also, my eyes!

..Al

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, slx said:

Maybe just another way to keep orders low. 

That's my "theory," too.  I've often wondered if Brad sticks to a 1997-level website and ordering system because it takes work to use it (compared to what most of us are accustomed to), which filters out anyone who doesn't already know what they're doing.  Or, perhaps he's just comfortable with his current system and doesn't want to put in the time and effort to change it.  Either way, I'm just glad he still does what he does, so I'm happy to play along.

• Like 6

Best Electronics is the most wonderful combination of homemade marketing (with testimonials, extreme details of product development, an amazing catalog and website that are fun just to read on its own when you get past the 90s MySpace vibe), over-the-top customer service where you feel like they'll swim any ocean or climb any mountain to help you, and disinterest (even polite pushback) on driving any order volume or revenue. You can't buy too much at once. You can't place another order too soon after the first one. I think of them more like a non-profit with a mission to keep the Atari community healthy and using their gear, and want to help lots of people more than they want to sell lots of stuff as a business. 

• Like 3

I ordered from them a while back. They have a $50 minimum with Paypal, and my total was $49, so I figured he would just charge me $50. Nope, he added a surcharge of 5%, which brought the total to over $50. He didn't seem pleased when I wanted to add to the order after that. I found the policy very strange, because I could add a $1 item to bring it to $50, getting more for less.

I did get my stuff though! His redesigned 7800 PSU works great.

38 minutes ago, batari said:

I ordered from them a while back. They have a $50 minimum with Paypal, and my total was $49, so I figured he would just charge me $50. Nope, he added a surcharge of 5%, which brought the total to over $50. He didn't seem pleased when I wanted to add to the order after that. I found the policy very strange, because I could add a $1 item to bring it to $50, getting more for less.

I did get my stuff though! His redesigned 7800 PSU works great.

How long ago did you order using paypal? Back in October, he would not let me use paypal and said he no longer accepts it.

3 hours ago, AtariBrian said:

How long ago did you order using paypal? Back in October, he would not let me use paypal and said he no longer accepts it.

I want to say June or July this year?

If no paypal, maybe ask about G-pay. Credit cards are taken over the phone, and I wasn't too enthused about doing that!

If he doesn't take paypal, his site doesn't reflect that. This is from just now:

Visa_footer.gif Bestem6.jpg Bestem3.jpg paypalinternational.gif  Bestem7.jpg

We accept Visa, MasterCard Credit Cards

(Domestic / International) (Minimum Atari Sale / Order $20)

Minimum G Pay Sale $35

(Domestic) PayPal (Minimum Sale $50) 

(International) PayPal (Minimum Sale $50)

PayPal and G Pay account: bestelec@bestelec.digitalspacemail8.net

Our 36th Year in the Atari Business!

eBay logo Feed Back Rating: 12190 Positive, 0 Neutral, O Negative  

paypal_logo.gif  540+ Verified Buyers 

GPAY.png   

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Well I would never buy anything I can not figure out the email address or have time for cranky judgemental people I am not four years old why would anyone ask to be treated that way? I would rather set fire to my Atari collection than wasting my time as I despise those situations so badly. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Jinks said:

Well I would never buy anything I can not figure out the email address or have time for cranky judgemental people I am not four years old why would anyone ask to be treated that way? I would rather set fire to my Atari collection than wasting my time as I despise those situations so badly. 

Yeah he is for sure getting worse. 

36 minutes ago, batari said:

I want to say June or July this year?

If no paypal, maybe ask about G-pay. Credit cards are taken over the phone, and I wasn't too enthused about doing that!

If he doesn't take paypal, his site doesn't reflect that. This is from just now:

Visa_footer.gif Bestem6.jpg Bestem3.jpg paypalinternational.gif  Bestem7.jpg

We accept Visa, MasterCard Credit Cards

(Domestic / International) (Minimum Atari Sale / Order $20)

Minimum G Pay Sale $35

(Domestic) PayPal (Minimum Sale $50) 

(International) PayPal (Minimum Sale $50)

PayPal and G Pay account: bestelec@bestelec.digitalspacemail8.net

Our 36th Year in the Atari Business!

eBay logo Feed Back Rating: 12190 Positive, 0 Neutral, O Negative  

paypal_logo.gif  540+ Verified Buyers 

GPAY.png   

His site doesn't reflect anything but a bunch of colors and mumbo jumbo! He does take G Pay but I don't have that. 

"Does anyone know if Best Electronics is still selling Atari merchandise?  I ordered a new 1200XL keyboard mylar from Brad earlier this month and sent him the money for it via Google Pay.  After an email exchange in which he wanted to know the eBay auction number for the 1200XL I had purchased (which needed the new mylar) the money was refunded to me with no explanation.  I have sent him 3 emails since asking for a reson why the money was refunded and have not received any replies.  Anybody know . . . .??"

That indeed is a weird, wild, and wacky request:  What Ebay auction did you purchase the 1200XL?  Strange.  Why on Earth would it matter when, when, or how someone got a piece of Atari software?  Strange Ways, Twisted Minds....(a KISS song ref.).