IGNORED

Would you buy a boxed and cart version of a free game?

ilmenit

Boxed version of a new free game that you like  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy a boxed version of a free (digitally distributed as ATR) game that you like?

• No, I'm not interested in buying a boxed version of a game that is fully available for free
    • Yes, I would buy the boxed game if I like it
  2. 2. What storage would you prefer for such physical paid version?

• Floppy disk
    • Cartridge
    • I'd pay extra for having both (floppy and cart)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Well I didn’t say I liked the clamshells exactly, but they really are an improvement over those flimsy white cardboard boxes (with taped-on labels!) that I used to get (crushed). Xenophobe   came that way, as did two other titles I bought years ago. I can’t remember which ones — the labels fell off ages ago, though...

You’ll get no argument from me, though, that it should be possible to package these releases in glossy stock cardboard. My favourite homebrew packaging is Duddie’s “big box” collector’s edition games: they remind me of Sierra’s releases and are polished through and through.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, davidcalgary29 said:

Well I didn’t say I liked the clamshells exactly, but they really are an improvement over those flimsy white cardboard boxes (with taped-on labels!) that I used to get (crushed). Xenophobe   came that way, as did two other titles I bought years ago. I can’t remember which ones — the labels fell off ages ago, though...

You’ll get no argument from me, though, that it should be possible to package these releases in glossy stock cardboard. My favourite homebrew packaging is Duddie’s “big box” collector’s edition games: they remind me of Sierra’s releases and are polished through and through.

Ok, yeah, I never saw those old white boxes. By the time I bought my four games over the last couple years, which are Commando, Xenophobe, Secretum Labrynth:The Legend, and Amokbots, they all came in the clam-shells. So I guess he did "step-it-up" at some point, but not stepped up enough for me. Wouldn't you at least prefer clam-shell printed inserts like the ones I made for myself in the picture? All I did was find images online, and print them out on quality-stock paper with a cheap $75 Epson inkjet printer, but obviously a much better printer than Video61 uses, or he just uses draft setting to save on ink, because they look horrible.. Lance could do that with no more work than he already puts into the games, but just done better.

Yes, I agree, Duddies stuff looks fantastic, I hope to get Rescue Expedition from him, I'm going to attempt to order it this weekend when I have the money. 

Edited by Gunstar

I doubt it, I've been over this before in other threads, like this one (see post #19), which was a reply to Peter, Lance's game programmer: https://atariage.com/forums/topic/254186-homebrew-games-packages/?tab=comments#comment-4198666

Just for comparison, here is what my Xenophobe game looked like before the new label, box and manual, and before re-doing the Video61 clam-shells for other loose carts like I showed above:

IMG-20170824-123845.jpg

Edited by Gunstar

I assume that with a game created by a few people (if you look at the age of our developers or artists usually they have at least senior positions in real-life) and 100-200 copies sold, the price is mostly to cover physical production and distribution costs. I think nobody with this number of copies sold will make money out of it, especially for Atari. Maybe in case of C64 or NES with a few times bigger user-base?

I'm pretty sure anyone selling physical copies of games for the A8 already knows there is no real profit, if any, and it is made as a labor of love and only covers costs. Except maybe Peter M. with his piracy paranoia, which after all these years still hasn't happened!:dunce:

I think the only developers that make any profit are those who program for consoles that have new "flashback" units and get their game included. I have a Colecovision and Atari Flashback with newer, home-brew games on them. They must sell well to the general public or new versions wouldn't keep popping up at Walmart, Dollar General and others in the US every Christmas season.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Gunstar said:

I doubt it, I've been over this before in other threads, like this one (see post #19), which was a reply to Peter, Lance's game programmer: https://atariage.com/forums/topic/254186-homebrew-games-packages/?tab=comments#comment-4198666

Just for comparison, here is what my Xenophobe game looked like before the new label, box and manual, and before re-doing the Video61 clam-shells for other loose carts like I showed above:

IMG-20170824-123845.jpg

I think yours is quite decent, this is what I got....

xeno.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

It also shows a lot of disrespect to Fandal who paid a hefty amount to get the prototype of this game and decided to have Video 61 sell it so he could at least partially recoup his investment. I mean, look at that shitty label and horrible set of instructions...

Lance, I know you're a nice guy and everything but what are you thinking?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/21/2020 at 5:22 AM, ilmenit said:

We are working on a new game and would like to keep it free with digitally shared ATR file (even making it open-source for easier modding).

Would you like to buy a boxed version of a game on cartridge with printed manual and some gadgets, if it's good, but you already have access to the full free digital version?

For comparison lets say that the game is of similar quality to "His Dark Majesty" - would you pay for this game when "boxed" but ATR is available?

I would actually pay for the digital if I liked the game.   Since my real hardware is in storage, I have no use for carts or floppies.   But I don't often see that option

2 hours ago, Fred_M said:

I think yours is quite decent, this is what I got....

xeno.jpg

Neither one is worth $50 in that condition. I didn't get instructions, and my label may look better in that blurry picture, but your's at least fits, and believe me, the blurry picture is only hiding a label as badly printed as yours is, just a bit more color saturation. 

Edited by Gunstar

1 hour ago, www.atarimania.com said:

It also shows a lot of disrespect to Fandal who paid a hefty amount to get the prototype of this game and decided to have Video 61 sell it so he could at least partially recoup his investment. I mean, look at that shitty label and horrible set of instructions...

Lance, I know you're a nice guy and everything but what are you thinking?

I would be to embarrassed to ever sell a game like these, I've got self-respect though, and take pride in my work, even if it is just for me.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, ilmenit said:

I assume that with a game created by a few people (if you look at the age of our developers or artists usually they have at least senior positions in real-life) and 100-200 copies sold, the price is mostly to cover physical production and distribution costs. I think nobody with this number of copies sold will make money out of it, especially for Atari. Maybe in case of C64 or NES with a few times bigger user-base?

Maybe, but I heard that Sam's Journey, which is supposed to be the best-selling C64 homebrew, has sold about 500 copies. At least one (homebrew) game and SainT's multi-cart for the Lynx has sold more than that, even though the Lynx had a far smaller installed base to work with. I really think it all depends on how much interest is generated through word-of-mouth and how exciting the title seems to buyers. I'm sure it also helps if a developer can produce more than one run of a game if there is demand for a game that gains notoriety after an initial run. I know that Boulderdash for the 2600 was a one-time deal, and that it took years to sell out the initial run, but there seems to be more demand for it now than at times when it was actually available for sale.

I also think that platform is less of an issue now because most of us have -ahem- acquired a large number of platforms, and many people buy titles to support developers even if they don't play the targeted system. I regularly buy titles from Double Sided Games, for instance, as the owner is a great guy who takes the time to make it to smaller shows (including Canadian shows) to show off his wares. Even if he doesn't make titles for the A8. I simply do not have the time or energy (or interest, for that matter) to get into the C64 scene.