IGNORED

Mega STE/TT LED replacements!

leech

I am still waiting on some parts, but I should initially have enough to build 50 LEDs, (I have 100, but if you want a grommet to hold it in better, I am still waiting for the 50 pack of those).

I still need to design a HD LED replacement as well.  I'm going to make some attempts at recreating the plastic piece that goes on the outside, for example for the floppy drive, since the TT I eventually got was missing that one.  I think it is different though for each (HD, floppy, power). 

I'm just creating this thread to attempt to gather who wants one in a single place! 

This is the one part I'm talking about; https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2817996

I will start working on the HD holder as well.

3 minutes ago, rickerbh said:

Awesome. I’ll take 2 please! What color LEDs are you going to use?

I ordered green.  From what I can tell, I think the plastic 'cap' part is already green, but if I could model replacements of that to be just transparent,  could make them any color.

I might be thinking of only the floppy part that is a transparent yellow though.

I have not tried 3d printing with transparent plastic for that though.  Wonder how well it would work...

1 hour ago, leech said:

I ordered green.  From what I can tell, I think the plastic 'cap' part is already green, but if I could model replacements of that to be just transparent,  could make them any color.

I might be thinking of only the floppy part that is a transparent yellow though.

I have not tried 3d printing with transparent plastic for that though.  Wonder how well it would work...

Green is perfect. Ideally I'd be looking for the internal bracket with LED and connection cables for a TT, for both the power LED and the HD activity one. I wouldn't need the transparent parts that fit in the external case. Great project.

4 minutes ago, rickerbh said:

Green is perfect. Ideally I'd be looking for the internal bracket with LED and connection cables for a TT, for both the power LED and the HD activity one. I wouldn't need the transparent parts that fit in the external case. Great project.

The idea is to do it mainly for the two LEDs (recreating the other parts, I'll just put the models on Thingiverse, I'm only interested in that because somehow the floppy drive on my TT when I got it was missing the part that sits in front of the LED). 

I need to pull out the Hard drive case for the TT and measure up the LED holder so I can 'design it'  But that shouldn't take that long.

But the thought is to fully replace it.  This 'kit' will include the two 3D printed parts, the grommets, the LEDs and the wiring with housing.  Only thing I'm waiting for right now is the grommets, which said they'll show up anywhere from Jan 24th, to Feb 7th... I found some white ones that may also work that could be here in a few days...

I'm going to see tonight about printing up like 10 at a time to see if my printer will freak out / mess them up (That thing is like watching a toaster.  If I start a print and walk away, it WILL mess up.  I have to stand there and stare at it  until it's done at least a couple layers before I can wander away.)

1223429374_2020-01-2421_22_02.thumb.jpg.c4bab11bdfdde544934fc8f514b2415d.jpg,

2020-01-24 21.26.29.jpg

2020-01-24 21.29.06.jpg

Well, I will say my camera didn't pick up the color quite right.  It looks much nicer actually.  But not quite the original color for sure.  I also think I ended up with a gauge of wire that was a bit bigger than I wanted.  But it does have a nice 'rubber' coating, and seems to work decently.

Frighteningly I thought I smelled something when I turned the TT on, but it may have just been after effects of the solder :P

Edited by leech
Comments...
  • Like 1

I ended up ordering the smaller gauge wire anyhow, 20 seemed to be just a tad too big (though it worked, it was annoying to solder against the very small pins of the LEDs.)  I do love the heat shrink tubing though!  I think the only thing I don't have a lot of is the 2 pin housing.

So Monday I'll have the 22 gauge wire, and start making more of these, though so far I think only like 5 of them have been requested.

The HD LED is far trickier, since it's part of the entire HD housing.  So I'll just work on the power ones. 

On 1/27/2020 at 5:22 AM, jcnventura said:

I'd be interested in 2. I see no price anywhere, though.

I haven't figured out a price yet.  For the most part I need to figure out how much shipping will be, and then parts, etc.  I mean most of the price on my end has been for tools (heat gun/shrink tubing, bought a 'holder' so soldering them up is easier, etc.)

Materials were pretty cheap and really I should give two options, one with a new LED, and one with just the holder / grommet.  Though I do need to test to see how the original LED fits in the grommets.

List time!

Dark Lord : 1

rickerbh : 2

remowilliams : 2

jcnventura : 2

Bama : 4

I think that's everyone so far, if I've missed anyone please do the copy/paste of the list and add your name in.  Hoping to get all of them built by Saturday.  And will figure out shipping costs.

13 hours ago, snarkdluG said:

Yeah, I figures you were from the States. I'm from Sweden so I will withdraw my intrest then. It's not worth it in that case. 

I kind of wondered if I could find a reseller overseas and then just send some stock over there, since there are probably more users of our beloved systems there.

I have one packaged up and am going to be sending it off to DarkLord first to see how much shipping will be, and to test to make sure my packaging allows it to survive.  Based on the shipping costs is what ultimately I will charge for them, but probably that means the initial cost for one will be more than say if I am sending four.  Thinking I will only charge like 4 bucks.  I mean I did estimates and just parts / packaging... majority of that is time.

Right now I have 14 made, minus the pin housing.  And one packaged up, which I will send out in the next few days and find out shipping.

I will also ask about shipping to Sweden and other places overseas.

2020-01-30 23.29.02.jpg

1 minute ago, rickerbh said:

I’m in Australia so shipping costs to there would be appreciated too ? 

Awesome, will check.  I got some cool looking blue envelopes that are small enough and padded, so in theory should be safe-ish and cheaper to send than boxes.  My original thought was using jewelry boxes, but it seems to me the shipping would be more than it's worth (I always hated it when I'd order something like old memory that was 5 dollars and it cost 20 to ship it...)