IGNORED

Mega STE/TT LED replacements!

leech

On 2/9/2020 at 12:50 AM, DarkLord said:

Because I love overkill (and options!), I think for my HDD version order I'd want:

1 psychedelic

1 yellow

2 green

and of course, the HDD post/replacement itself.

I'll PM this to you when you do formally announce that it's ready. :)

Thanks!

You still wanting this?  I built and packaged Swatcop's order, so it's ready to ship.  I'm rebuilding them with the smaller gauge wire, so they're not as 'rubbery' but sure are easier to put into the dupont connector without it looking 100% horrendous (now they only look like 50% horrendous).  The HDD holder turned out well, I think, but I need someone to test the cut / mount method.  I believe the 1mm slot should be tight enough where you won't need to drill anything, just cut off the rusty bits, and fit it over.

12 minutes ago, DarkLord said:

Yes, yes, yes! (did I mention "Yes!"?).  :)

Send it straight away.

Just got the internal US and adapter in so I can hook

it all up at once.

Thanks!

Ha, okay, so HDD length LEDs for 2 green, 1 psychedilc, and one Yellow?  And do you need that many HDD holders, or just the one?  Most certainly is overkill.  I've already cut a bunch of shorter wires for the HDD length, but haven't soldered any of them up yet.  Just wanting to make sure I get the order right.  Yay, progress!

18 hours ago, leech said:

The HDD holder turned out well, I think, but I need someone to test the cut / mount method.  I believe the 1mm slot should be tight enough where you won't need to drill anything, just cut off the rusty bits, and fit it over.

I'll take a look inside my MSTE. I don't remember if the rust was terminal on that or not, but it was bad.  If it's terminal I'll print a sleeved version and check it.

52 minutes ago, remowilliams said:

I'll take a look inside my MSTE. I don't remember if the rust was terminal on that or not, but it was bad.  If it's terminal I'll print a sleeved version and check it.

That would be awesome.  I print them standing up with no supports, so the slot doesn't need to have the crap dug out.

18 hours ago, leech said:

That would be awesome.  I print them standing up with no supports, so the slot doesn't need to have the crap dug out.

The rust wasn't as bad as I thought. Most of the metal is still there minus a tiny bit on the end, so I think it will still serve to hold the grommet.

I did print the sleeve out though, and it turned out well.  It does seem to be a good fit for the thickness of the cage metal and looks like it should work nicely.

9 minutes ago, remowilliams said:

The rust wasn't as bad as I thought. Most of the metal is still there minus a tiny bit on the end, so I think it will still serve to hold the grommet.

I did print the sleeve out though, and it turned out well.  It does seem to be a good fit for the thickness of the cage metal and looks like it should work nicely.

Ha, yeah that's what I was thinking, it should work great, I just don't have a cage in bad enough shape to warrant chopping it up.  Guess I should include a 'grommet+led' only option.  It really does look like the grommet sort of melts first, then becomes part of the metal, then causes the rust/corrosion of the rest of it.  I mean on mine I got most of it off, but what's left doesn't seem like rust, and more like fossilized rubber (if that makes sense).

25 minutes ago, leech said:

It really does look like the grommet sort of melts first, then becomes part of the metal, then causes the rust/corrosion of the rest of it.  I mean on mine I got most of it off, but what's left doesn't seem like rust, and more like fossilized rubber (if that makes sense).

Yes, it looks like the deterioration of the grommet leaked some chemical in its composition while it was busy turning from a flexible material into something like a small rock.  And whatever that was, apparently is caustic enough to start eating away the metal.

Did this while I was in there, ahh.. the blessed sound of silence now!  :D

mega_ste.noctua.1.thumb.jpg.275d8014a43ccdf2516160cc93b23298.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, remowilliams said:

Yes, it looks like the deterioration of the grommet leaked some chemical in its composition while it was busy turning from a flexible material into something like a small rock.  And whatever that was, apparently is caustic enough to start eating away the metal.

Did this while I was in there, ahh.. the blessed sound of silence now!  :D

mega_ste.noctua.1.thumb.jpg.275d8014a43ccdf2516160cc93b23298.jpg

Ha, I should do that to mine.

So, packages sent.  They are about 4 bucks within the US, 15 to the EU and 17 to Australia.   Though that is 2-3 weeks for shipping.

Alright, so PM me what you want!

LED (includes wiring, LED, heat shrink tubing and dupont connector) $2

LED holder (HDD or Power) $2

Shipping within USA 4$

International Shipping seems to be $14 in the EU, and somewhere like Australia is $17.  Seems it costs extra to flip around onto the other side of the disk (a little Flat Earther humor there.  Yes, sorry guys, we do live on a globe).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DarkLord said:

Thanks again for all the hard work on these items!  :)

No problem, hopefully the HD thing works out well.  So far, you're the test for this.  So far, everyone else seems to have most of their HD LED holder in tact, so my design hasn't been tested thoroughly yet.

1 hour ago, DarkLord said:

Faster than a speeding "grommet"? 

Sorry, just had to "LED" with that line...  :)

PS Love Amazon Prime, BTW.

Waking up to bad puns.  Love it.

Ha, was heading to bed last night and start hearing my house beep in a way I have not heard before... turned out to be a motion sensor's battery was low.  Of course with the plethora of batteries I have, it was some weird CR123A.. so I ordered them, should arrive today.  Yup, Amazon Prime is awesome.

On 2/8/2020 at 2:38 PM, swatcop said:

722386814_usatanleds.thumb.jpg.c48dbe48cc363a0687abddce7f82418a.jpg

I soldered headers to J8 on the UltraSatan, doesn't work with my original LED in the HD bay, but I'll figure it out.  Just let me know where to send payment (PayPal work for you?) for everything.

Hmm, looking at my internal US from Lotharek - it seems the layout is different. I must be blind because I can't find J8 anywhere. I do have an S2 where your J8 is.

Oh, just noticed your board says 1.1, mine is v1.2 so....

EDIT: Never mind - found J8, it's in between the SD cards...

EDIT2: I do need to find out what everyone else is using to mount

their internal US's with, to the hard drive cage. Straight bolt up, or does the US board need

to be shielded from the hard drive metal cage? How much space between, etc, etc... Also

need to know what adapter was used to go from the larger molex to the smaller one for the

US's P/S. Would be nice to see some pictures, including the header that was put on J8, and

it connected to the LED (BTW, did you get it working?)

Thanks much!  :)

Hmm, looking at my internal US from Lotharek - it seems the layout is different. I must be blind because I can't find J8 anywhere. I do have an S2 where your J8 is.

Oh, just noticed your board says 1.1, mine is v1.2 so....

EDIT: Never mind - found J8, it's in between the SD cards...

Curious, does that make the LED too long?  or too short?  Guess it depends on how you mount it?  I don't have an internal one, though I think it'd be sweet for the TT / Mega  STes.  I'm still working on how to get the USB from the Lightning out of my TT so I can seal up the case again...

I think the length will still be fine.

Okay, about testing. As it turns out, once I got the hard drive cage apart and cleaned

everything, the original holder is still solid on mine. It appears that the goop/paint/insulation

that they put on the holder did its job - mine isn't rusted at all (although the original grommet

is rotted badly, and that made me think the whole thing was kaput). So I was able to just take

one of the black grommets you sent and replace everything and it worked fine. I'll hang on to

to the new holder replacement in case it ever does rust out.

Now, from what I could judge, it certainly looks like if the encircling end of the original holder

was rusted away, that your new holder would slip over it and function fine. I did slide it on mine

just to see, but of course it wouldn't go far enough because the piece was still whole. 

My humble opinion is that it will work great with Mega STe's where the holder has rusted away.

If I had to gripe about -1- single thing (and it's not really a gripe, more like a vexed observation),

that would be those darned connectors. I'm having a devil of a time getting a solid connection

with them. I have to manually push the red and black wires just as far as they can go, as hard as

I can, to the ends of the black piece, trying to get them to work. Even then, they feel so loose

that I think if I turned them over they would just fall right off. The power LED one was the same

way.

Seriously thinking about removing the black piece and just tack-soldering them in place.

Hmm, trying to figure out what this guy did with his LED and internal US...

EACrBnvX4AAT6fW.jpg

EACrBpnXkAAHNMD.jpg

Bah, those are a pain in the ass to get just right.  Most of the first initial ones I tested all on the TT's power line, and they were fine and stuck in the thing, then I went with the smaller gauge wire, because trying to crimp those things on the larger wires are a pain in the ass.  But I use the smaller  push pins on my test battery than I think maybe the header pins are, so maybe that's why they stay in when I test them, but may pop out when connected to an actual header.  Some of them I know should work right, there are little flaps on the black plastic that SHOULD be flat when the pins are inserted all the way, but because the way the crimper works, I still have to squeeze the top part a bit, so that it'll slide into those and hopefully click in place so they don't slide out when it is attached to a header.

If you don't already have a header on your US, then maybe just put some thinner pins onto it?  If you can find a tool to push the dupont connectors further into the housing, until it clicks in, they should work great.  Sorry about the muck up, I'll make some tonight and test them on the actual headers to see if I have better luck.

Have you played with the multicolor one on the HDD yet?

21 minutes ago, DarkLord said:

Hmm, trying to figure out what this guy did with his LED and internal US...

Yes, curious about that one myself.  My board also is a 1.2 and I see J8 (it has no pins in the header) on the board next to the JTAG.  If J8 is still the correct spot on the 1.2, ideally I'd need the single LED to indicate activity on either SD card.

4 minutes ago, remowilliams said:

Yes, curious about that one myself.  My board also is a 1.2 and I see J8 (it has no pins in the header) on the board next to the JTAG.  If J8 is still the correct spot on the 1.2, ideally I'd need the single LED to indicate activity on either SD card.

Hmm, well that's where it is on the external one.  Not even sure if you could, for example, create a header splitter?  So both would blink a single LED?  I mean I guess you could splice off two wires to the same LED, or... yeah that'd be messy.  Either way I think it'd look kind of crap (crappier than my solder/heat tubing/dupont housing jobs).