IGNORED

Mega STE/TT LED replacements!

leech

3 hours ago, leech said:

Bah, those are a pain in the ass to get just right.  Most of the first initial ones I tested all on the TT's power line, and they were fine and stuck in the thing, then I went with the smaller gauge wire, because trying to crimp those things on the larger wires are a pain in the ass.  But I use the smaller  push pins on my test battery than I think maybe the header pins are, so maybe that's why they stay in when I test them, but may pop out when connected to an actual header.  Some of them I know should work right, there are little flaps on the black plastic that SHOULD be flat when the pins are inserted all the way, but because the way the crimper works, I still have to squeeze the top part a bit, so that it'll slide into those and hopefully click in place so they don't slide out when it is attached to a header.

If you don't already have a header on your US, then maybe just put some thinner pins onto it?  If you can find a tool to push the dupont connectors further into the housing, until it clicks in, they should work great.  Sorry about the muck up, I'll make some tonight and test them on the actual headers to see if I have better luck.

Have you played with the multicolor one on the HDD yet?

Please don't take that as criticism, it wasn't!

I've got fumbly (is that even a word?) fingers and these things are usually my fault.

No header on the US yet, have to check out all the options there and get everything together

before I install it.

Negative on the multicolor LED, was trying to get everything else sorted out first. Not to fear,

it's lying right beside the green and yellow, next to the hard drive cage.  :)

6 minutes ago, remowilliams said:

And then there was once again light, and rejoicing.  Thanks @leech for undertaking this project :)

MSTE_LED.1.thumb.jpg.e307817e5001794ee6f8f693145fa3e0.jpg

Sweet!  Need to smooth out my build process a bit, but it looks like you got it working at last!  Ha, I don't feel so bad now, my camera makes it look really green too, but the actual LED isn't that far off the original one.

So I think I've established that I need to build something that basically just has an LED header on it so I can test the pins themselves, since it seems the current method I'm using doesn't really test the final product in the way it should.  I'll see if I can build something simple.

23 hours ago, DarkLord said:

Hmm, looking at my internal US from Lotharek - it seems the layout is different. I must be blind because I can't find J8 anywhere. I do have an S2 where your J8 is.

EDIT: Never mind - found J8, it's in between the SD cards...

21 hours ago, leech said:

Hmm, well that's where it is on the external one.

I added a header to J8 on my v1.2 US and it doesn't seem like there is LED driver voltage present there.  I think we need to find out from the creator what the answer is.

12 hours ago, leech said:

Sweet!  Need to smooth out my build process a bit, but it looks like you got it working at last!  Ha, I don't feel so bad now, my camera makes it look really green too, but the actual LED isn't that far off the original one.

Yes, even though it looks like the LED is being lit by The Power of The Force, it actually isn't that bright and is a nice color match I think : )

2 hours ago, remowilliams said:

I added a header to J8 on my v1.2 US and it doesn't seem like there is LED driver voltage present there.  I think we need to find out from the creator what the answer is.

Yes, even though it looks like the LED is being lit by The Power of The Force, it actually isn't that bright and is a nice color match I think : )

Ha, yeah, it does make it look like it's Lightsaber  Green. 

12 hours ago, leech said:

Ha, i have not bought any blue LEDs, though they would look pretty sweet.

Hmmm, so are you going to make some. Cash waiting ;)

Can you just sell me brackets? Sell me green ones, I'll just swap if don't like 

Edited by alienkidmj12

1 hour ago, alienkidmj12 said:

Hmmm, so are you going to make some. Cash waiting ;)

Can you just sell me brackets? Sell me green ones, I'll just swap if don't like 

I ordered a pack of the same brand that has 100 LEDs with 10 different colors for 10 of each for different requests, since you are the first to request blues.

I could sell you brackets+grommets if you would prefer not to wait a few days.  Thiugh usually I send on Saturday.

50 minutes ago, DarkLord said:

Has anyone contacted Lotharek to find out what's what about J8 and LEDs?

Be nice to get that sorted out....

He has always been pretty great at replying to me when I have emailed him.  To the point I got some of his life story.  Ha, great guy.  It is specific to the 1.2 internal US, right?  Wondering if I should order one... I do have other things to order from him, but was going to wait until SIDE3 was out.

13 minutes ago, remowilliams said:

I tried to log into his site but can't, and his email domain I think is bouncing at my ISP.

I sent an email to him, and got an autoresponder back saying he only checks email in the mornings, local time.  So hopefully he can find some time in his busy schedule to get back to me about it.  I linked the post about it.

22 hours ago, leech said:

I ordered a pack of the same brand that has 100 LEDs with 10 different colors for 10 of each for different requests, since you are the first to request blues.

I could sell you brackets+grommets if you would prefer not to wait a few days.  Thiugh usually I send on Saturday.

ah thats cool, believe me blue is amazing, i did blue on falcon, really nice ice colour.

ill wait, where do i sent cash for 2 lots ?

thanks

dave

On 3/7/2020 at 7:55 AM, DarkLord said:

Has anyone contacted Lotharek to find out what's what about J8 and LEDs?

Be nice to get that sorted out....

"j8. but j8 in latest pcb design is located between sd card slots" - Lotharek

So we are correct on where they should be. 

2 hours ago, leech said:

"j8. but j8 in latest pcb design is located between sd card slots" - Lotharek

So we are correct on where they should be. 

Okay, J8 is most assuredly not 'between the sd card slots' on the 1.2 board as far as I can see  : D

However, I've installed a header to J8 and it is indicating HDD activity on slot 1 (pins 1/2) and slot 2 (pins 3/4).  Black is pins 1 and 4 for the curious (as the LED is wired)

Next question - how do we use just 1 LED for those four pins...  I'm assuming a small circuit of some kind would be needed.

image.thumb.png.6e0bddcca7dd141310fb3b3972c4d768.png

35 minutes ago, leech said:

You could potentially just bridge them, couldn't you?  Solder in a 4pin pin header, then on the bottom, wire whichever two positive and two negative so they lead to the two pins for the LED connector to sit on.

I'm not sure it's that simple, would you mind asking Lotharek?

18 minutes ago, remowilliams said:

I'm not sure it's that simple, would you mind asking Lotharek?

Sent another email, asking what the preferred method would be to connect the 4 pins so you can get the same light indication for both 'hard drive(s)'.

2 hours ago, remowilliams said:

Okay, J8 is most assuredly not 'between the sd card slots' on the 1.2 board as far as I can see  : D

However, I've installed a header to J8 and it is indicating HDD activity on slot 1 (pins 1/2) and slot 2 (pins 3/4).  Black is pins 1 and 4 for the curious (as the LED is wired)

Next question - how do we use just 1 LED for those four pins...  I'm assuming a small circuit of some kind would be needed.

image.thumb.png.6e0bddcca7dd141310fb3b3972c4d768.png

Ha! I like the way you mounted yours.  :)

Been trying to figure out how I'm going to do mine...