IGNORED

Mega STE/TT LED replacements!

leech

Does anyone know if there is an extension cable that will let you plug into

the second SD card slot and bring it out, to say, somewhere on the back

VME panel or a modified HD cover?

That way you could run with one card as your main HD, so to speak, and the

other one accessible externally. I know that both are hot swappable, but I

don't feel like having to lift the HD cover every time I want to access a card.

:)

Thanks.

11 minutes ago, DarkLord said:

Does anyone know if there is an extension cable that will let you plug into

the second SD card slot and bring it out, to say, somewhere on the back

VME panel or a modified HD cover?

There are thousand of those extension cable on ebay, but not one that are ready for a backpanel or HD cover on a Atari TT/MSTe. 

36 minutes ago, leech said:

His reply back, "not directly... but simple 3 gates or ttl chip mayu help"

Yes, that's exactly what I thought.

17 minutes ago, DarkLord said:

Ha! I like the way you mounted yours.  :)

It's simple and effective :D  Plus it allows me easy access to the cards since they are mounted far lower than if attached to the top of the case.

14 minutes ago, DarkLord said:

Does anyone know if there is an extension cable

An SD extension cable might work.  

Hmm, probably mostly off-topic but did everyone else who ordered a US

from Lotharek get a wrapped piece of candy with it?

I swear, I had to open it up first - I was scratching my head trying to

figure out what it was and where it went in an US installation.  :)

22 minutes ago, DarkLord said:

Hmm, probably mostly off-topic but did everyone else who ordered a US

from Lotharek get a wrapped piece of candy with it?

I swear, I had to open it up first - I was scratching my head trying to

figure out what it was and where it went in an US installation.  :)

Clearly it is to hold the LEDs onto J8.  Which on the one I just ordered is right on the middle of the SD cards.

2020-03-13 19.11.14.jpg

On 3/6/2020 at 12:23 AM, alienkidmj12 said:

can i take two sets, blue leds

I'll start building these up today, though I think the Post office will close before I can get over there, as I'm waiting for a package to show up (last time I went to pick up a package and another one I had to sign for arrived at the house while I was standing in the PO and so had to make another trip back to get that one... )

Okay, got all the stuff in I needed to install the internal US. Note that I'm going

to add some more risers to bring the US closer to the bottom for easier SD card

access.

Now, just need someone to figure out how to add Leech's excellent LEDs.  :)

P1010005.thumb.JPG.6307e741bbc66a0b15b656eb779eb6bf.JPG

• Like 1

@DarkLord sorry I missed your earlier posts (on March 5th) about how I mounted the US to the drive mount in the MSTE.  Long story short, I removed the metal drive mount and used M3 Nylon stand offs and fiddled with it until I found holes that would line up with the PCB on the UltraSatan.  I've included pictures for reference.

With regard to the UltraSatan HD activity LED's and getting them to work:

I soldered 4 pin headers onto J8.  You need to de-solder and remove BOTH LED's from the BACK of the UltraSatan PCB so that it will send signal to J8 header pins.  The two center pins are +, outer pins are -.  As you can see in the pictures I've attached, I am only using one SD slot and the +/- headers (closest to the SD slot) that are connected to @leech LED cable correspond to that SD slot activity.  I don't have plans to use the second SD slot because I use a Lighting VME USB board with a thumb drive to move files to and from the MSTE.

you guys probably already know this, but use caution with those SD slot extenders as many times they can mess up the SD receptacle on the PCB (mostly with the "click in-click out" receptacles) and the longer cables can cause signal issues (read/write errors). 

As an alternative, what I did on my Mega ST was create a 3d printed bracket that holds the UltraSatan to allow access to the SD cards (even more pics attached).  I am sure one could be modeled for the MSTE to use the VME slot hole.

IMG_5660.jpg

IMG_5661.jpg

IMG_5674.jpg

IMG_5670.jpg

PVTD5168.jpeg

IMG_4853.jpeg

IMG_4870.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DarkLord said:

Pictures man, pictures! If we can't see it, it's only rumor, myth, legend and theoretical possibilities!  :)

Yeah, pics or it didn't happen!  I actually have one in the TT, I should get the LED working.  I 3D printed the adapter for the SCSI2SD, but then I also borked a 3TB drive full of crap while trying to image Atari TT Unix...

@leech I probably didn't have enough rust on mine to justify it either, but was out in the shop cleaning it up and thought, the hell with it.  Measured where it needed to land and lopped off the offending piece.  Did require a little re-profiling with a file and some hot glue to hold it in place firmly.

Send me your TT and I will gladly figure out a non-destructive way to get that USB out the back of it.  As payment, I will gladly send you pictures of it and STL files in the event you are ever lucky enough to find another TT ???

SERIOUSLY THOUGH - TO ANYONE READING THIS:  IF YOU HAVE A TT YOU WANT TO SELL AT NON-EBAY i.e. REASONABLE PRICE, HIT ME UP!!! lol

2 minutes ago, swatcop said:

@leech I probably didn't have enough rust on mine to justify it either, but was out in the shop cleaning it up and thought, the hell with it.  Measured where it needed to land and lopped off the offending piece.  Did require a little re-profiling with a file and some hot glue to hold it in place firmly.

Send me your TT and I will gladly figure out a non-destructive way to get that USB out the back of it.  As payment, I will gladly send you pictures of it and STL files in the event you are ever lucky enough to find another TT ???

SERIOUSLY THOUGH - TO ANYONE READING THIS:  IF YOU HAVE A TT YOU WANT TO SELL AT NON-EBAY i.e. REASONABLE PRICE, HIT ME UP!!! lol

Ha ha, yeah I've had that TT for many many years, as I picked one up after people were dumping all their Atari stuff.  Granted, getting the VME graphics card took so much longer... now I need to figure out how to use the ET4000/W32i with Frank's VME adapters...  eventually I'll get to that ha.

• Like 1

purely in jest buddy, we've discussed this.  I have to live with the fact of knowing - like an idiot, gave away my TT (and Falcon) in the 90's because it was "useless" back then. :|  

I did acquire a reasonably priced Falcon recently, so maybe there's hope.  Last TT sold on Ebay for $1700+ and as much as I want one, thats lunacy.  Anyway, sorry to hijack the thread with my rambling.

22 hours ago, swatcop said:

With regard to the UltraSatan HD activity LED's and getting them to work:

I soldered 4 pin headers onto J8.  You need to de-solder and remove BOTH LED's from the BACK of the UltraSatan PCB so that it will send signal to J8 header pins.

So you removed D11 and D13 LEDs from the underside of the board (between the SD slots)? 

From Lotharek: cannot be simpler. 2 leds, longer legs close to each other, one lead for one sd card slot

removing bottom leds (red ones) will be needed.

@remowilliams That is correct.  Be careful, they're pretty delicate to remove with a regular soldering iron... would be much easier with hot air station/Kapton tape but it is doable.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, swatcop said:

@remowilliams That is correct.  Be careful, they're pretty delicate to remove with a regular soldering iron... would be much easier with hot air station/Kapton tape but it is doable.

Thanks for confirming.  I added some kapton and heat gunned the two LEDs off, now I am getting HDD LED activity light as expected :)

mega_ste.usatan.1.thumb.jpg.2fc0a99ba1d03f3d13f6c99ffefc67b1.jpg

• Like 3

17 hours ago, DarkLord said:

Ugh, not sure I've got the soldering skills to do this. I surely don't have a heat gun.

I don't either.  I used old school de-soldering techniques and took my time.  It was worth the effort to finally have HD activity light again but certainly understand your apprehension.  Maybe there is a cell phone repair shop near you that works surface mount components regularly that could do the work?  Its really nothing more than heating up the area and slipping the LED's right off the board.  You will also have to solder two or four through holes on J8 for the pin headers.

• 3 weeks later...