IGNORED

Mega STE/TT LED replacements!

leech

Ha, three orders at once and... now I'm out of wire!  Gonna order some more now.

@KLund1 Got your Gotek holder printing (said it'd take 6 hours, assuming the printer doesn't decide to annoy me, hopefully it'll be done by the time I get up in the morning).  But now I need to order more wires!

Got it last night.  Along with some more tooling, so hopefully I can crimp that tiny connector for the Quantum drive.  I'll work on these throughout the week, then if everyone that has put in an order give me an address, then I'll send them off on Saturday.

Son of a... open up the wires last night to start building some, and the wires in this set aren't bonded (as the previous wire I bought was not in stock).  And of course somehow all the bonded 26 gauge wire that is bonded is sold out... So I ordered some 24 awg.  Hopefully that comes in the next day or two so I can build the last of the orders out! 

@videofx I have the plastic holder for the tiny connector, but didn't realize I also need pins to connect the wires to so that when I crimp the thing, it actually works...

I haven't found a place yet to find the pins for it, though I think the crimper that I got should work once I find those.  Once I can track these down, I'll send off all the packages.

• 5 months later...

Just wanted to pop by a say a big thanks for making the bracket STL available!

I’d already soldered an LED to some wire, put the DuPont connector on the end and was pondering how to fit it to the case.  Then I did a couple of google searches - first, how did the LED usually fit, then second, had someone made a 3D printable model?

That took me to your work and, 20 mins later, my Mega STE has its power light back!

One quick question - do you know of any source for the clear plastic lens that fits inside the hole in the case?  My machine’s missing it from the hard drive cover.

If it comes to it, I’ll try 3D printing a mould to pour some clear resin into, but it’d be nice to get the proper part!

Edited by displaced

2 minutes ago, displaced said:

Just wanted to pop by a say a big thanks for making the bracket STL available!

I’d already soldered an LED to some wire, put the DuPont connector on the end and was pondering how to fit it to the case.  Then I did a couple of google searches - first, how did the LED usually fit, then second, had someone made a 3D printable model?

That took me to your work and, 20 mins later, my Mega STE has its power light back!

One quick question - do you know of any source for the clear plastic lens that fits inside the hole in the case?  My machine’s missing it from the hard drive cover.

If it comes to it, I’ll try 3D printing a mould to pour some clear resin into, but it’d be nice to get the proper part!

Nice!  Yeah, I need one of those lenses as well for the floppy drive.  My TT was always missing it.  if you figure out a good way to make them, that would be sweet!

3 hours ago, leech said:

Nice!  Yeah, I need one of those lenses as well for the floppy drive.  My TT was always missing it.  if you figure out a good way to make them, that would be sweet!

Cool!  Yeah - it seems the only source I’ve found for them is Best Electronics - and they get them by ripping apart new-old-stock TT drive covers.  That’s a) expensive and b) a shame!

I’ve got two ideas - the first, as mentioned, is to 3D print a mould to pour resin into.  After hardening, it should then be possible to lightly sand it to fit nicely.

The other option is to 3D print the cover itself, with a clear plastic filament.  

The first option will need a more complex 3D model to product the mould, probably with holes to allow the air to escape whilst filling with resin.  

...but the second option would also be tricky - clear 3D prints need a really well calibrated printer to be successful, and the filament is tricky to get a decent print with.

Either way, I need to get the digital callipers and angle measure out :) 

1 hour ago, displaced said:

Cool!  Yeah - it seems the only source I’ve found for them is Best Electronics - and they get them by ripping apart new-old-stock TT drive covers.  That’s a) expensive and b) a shame!

I’ve got two ideas - the first, as mentioned, is to 3D print a mould to pour resin into.  After hardening, it should then be possible to lightly sand it to fit nicely.

The other option is to 3D print the cover itself, with a clear plastic filament.  

The first option will need a more complex 3D model to product the mould, probably with holes to allow the air to escape whilst filling with resin.  

...but the second option would also be tricky - clear 3D prints need a really well calibrated printer to be successful, and the filament is tricky to get a decent print with.

Either way, I need to get the digital callipers and angle measure out :) 

Ha, yeah I had thought of making a 3d model of the piece myself, but haven't really seen (though not really looked) for some greenish translucent PLA.  It's like I wanted to make a new Jaguar CD hook, I ordered one from best, I'm just hoping he didn't take apart a JagCD to sell me one!  We really should get some of us together and just make 3d printable parts for some of the most common things that break! 

I think someone actually started their own model of the hard drive cover itself, but for holding the Internal Ultra Satan, I need to see if that got finished, and print one up, as I've had an internal one for quite some time, and just haven't installed it...

On 11/30/2020 at 7:55 PM, leech said:

Ha, yeah I had thought of making a 3d model of the piece myself, but haven't really seen (though not really looked) for some greenish translucent PLA.  It's like I wanted to make a new Jaguar CD hook, I ordered one from best, I'm just hoping he didn't take apart a JagCD to sell me one!  We really should get some of us together and just make 3d printable parts for some of the most common things that break! 

I think someone actually started their own model of the hard drive cover itself, but for holding the Internal Ultra Satan, I need to see if that got finished, and print one up, as I've had an internal one for quite some time, and just haven't installed it...

I think on my travels I saw that STL for the entire HD cover.  Nice to know it’s there in case of future accidents! :)

I’ve made the model for the LED cover - was pretty straightforward - am happy Atari chose a regular 45° angle for their parallelograms!  I’ve done a few test prints, but my printer’s suffering a bit for having been moved about and gone unused for quite a few months, so I haven’t yet got a clean, accurate print yet.

Oddly, the existing cover for the power LED on my MSTE is clear, untinted plastic. I mean, it’s not ‘crystal-clear’, but it’s definitely only slightly opaque, not coloured at all.  So a translucent PLA might give a suitable result.

I did print the bracket for the power LED and fitted a modern 5mm green LED.  It’s a much richer colour than the floppy LED, but I really like how it looks. Seriously considering swapping the LED on the floppy drive so that it matches :) 

(sure, it’s not 100% true to how the machine came from the factory, but at least I’m not using blue LEDs!)

23 hours ago, displaced said:

I think on my travels I saw that STL for the entire HD cover.  Nice to know it’s there in case of future accidents! :)

I’ve made the model for the LED cover - was pretty straightforward - am happy Atari chose a regular 45° angle for their parallelograms!  I’ve done a few test prints, but my printer’s suffering a bit for having been moved about and gone unused for quite a few months, so I haven’t yet got a clean, accurate print yet.

Oddly, the existing cover for the power LED on my MSTE is clear, untinted plastic. I mean, it’s not ‘crystal-clear’, but it’s definitely only slightly opaque, not coloured at all.  So a translucent PLA might give a suitable result.

I did print the bracket for the power LED and fitted a modern 5mm green LED.  It’s a much richer colour than the floppy LED, but I really like how it looks. Seriously considering swapping the LED on the floppy drive so that it matches :) 

(sure, it’s not 100% true to how the machine came from the factory, but at least I’m not using blue LEDs!)

Yeah, I think the original LED is 3mm, and the voltage is lower / output dimmer.  The multi-colored ones are a trip!

42 minutes ago, mdivancic said:

Yeah - that really is a great piece of work! Unfortunately the only bit I need is the little clear plastic cover that goes in the parallelogram-shaped hole in front of the activity LED.

Hopefully getting a few bits and pieces to improve my 3D printer over Christmas and will have some free time - so I should be able to do some experiments with translucent PLA to make one!

• 4 months later...
On 1/21/2020 at 7:15 PM, leech said:

I am still waiting on some parts, but I should initially have enough to build 50 LEDs, (I have 100, but if you want a grommet to hold it in better, I am still waiting for the 50 pack of those).

I still need to design a HD LED replacement as well.  I'm going to make some attempts at recreating the plastic piece that goes on the outside, for example for the floppy drive, since the TT I eventually got was missing that one.  I think it is different though for each (HD, floppy, power).

This is a great thread!

Fortunately I don't need new LED holders just yet as mine haven't rusted completely through but good to know they're available ?

I am however having a hard time figuring out where to find those PVC grommets. The ones in mine are completely dried up and cracked and I need a couple of new ones. I measured them to be 3mm inside and needing to fit a 4mm hole. All 3mm grommets I've found need a 5.5mm mounting hole! ☹️

Where did you order yours from (and are they're the same size as the original grommets, or did you use different sized holes with the new mounts)?

Edited by 68000

1 hour ago, 68000 said:

This is a great thread!

Fortunately I don't need new LED holders just yet as mine haven't rusted completely through but good to know they're available ?

I am however having a hard time figuring out where to find those PVC grommets. The ones in mine are completely dried up and cracked and I need a couple of new ones. I measured them to be 3mm inside and needing to fit a 4mm hole. All 3mm grommets I've found need a 5.5mm mounting hole! ☹️

Where did you order yours from (and are they're the same size as the original grommets, or did you use different sized holes with the new mounts)?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FGRK4IE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_NUbFGCleJrXys

Or these

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YY87DN4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_yoQvZXKsYeJrF

If I recall, I had to cut into the white ones a bit to get them to fit in the original holders after sanding off the rust.  But I want to say the black ones fit nicely.

7 minutes ago, 68000 said:

Thanks!

Yup -looks like the right size on paper at least (the white ones) but if I can get hold of the black ones without needing to cut that would be better (the first link doesn't work though).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PZO1OSI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_KWWYZTTZGDT4QB1T9VDP

Ha, well I had bought 50, pretty sure these are the same ones, but are 300.

• 5 months later...