IGNORED

MegaST 2 Ram upgrade US

Goochman

Anyone have a lead on a shop that can do a 4MB RAM upgrade to my Mega 2ST?  Ive already got a 16mhz Adspeed in there if that makes things a problem?

Id also consider having a TOS switcher so I could have a newer/modified TOS in there?

I have 0 soldering skills so no chance I could do it on a Mega 2.

7 hours ago, Goochman said:

The Marpet Memory upgrade kit claims to not need any soldering but I cant find much info on exactly what needs to be done to install this.  Ive also only found them from overseas sellers.

The Marpet Xtra +8 for the Mega ST is likely not what is wanted here - I have that board. It uses the Mega ST's expansion port, and requires TOS 2.06. The RAM is alt-RAM.

• Thanks 1

Best Electronics has them for sale. They are in the San Francisco area.  Scroll down on this page or search "Marpet"

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/520_1040.htm

For the alt-RAM I think you are right.  In order to use the alt-RAM you may need TOS 2.06.  However, there are Marpets that do not require it (i.e. no alt-RAM).  I have three without alt-RAM, one is installed in a 1040STF and using TOS 1.04.  Just ask before you buy if TOS 2.06 is required.

There is one wire that you need to ground.  I tinned it (solder on the tip) so it would not fray and then screwed it down to ground.  Other than that, it is plug and play as long as the shifter is socketed.

52 minutes ago, SoulBuster said:

Best Electronics has them for sale. They are in the San Francisco area.  Scroll down on this page or search "Marpet"

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/520_1040.htm

For the alt-RAM I think you are right.  In order to use the alt-RAM you may need TOS 2.06.  However, there are Marpets that do not require it (i.e. no alt-RAM).  I have three without alt-RAM, one is installed in a 1040STF and using TOS 1.04.  Just ask before you buy if TOS 2.06 is required.

There is one wire that you need to ground.  I tinned it (solder on the tip) so it would not fray and then screwed it down to ground.  Other than that, it is plug and play as long as the shifter is socketed.

Thanks - so this gave you a 4MB RAM upgrade for your 1040 thats visible to normal TOS 1.04?

Oh I guess there is a little more to solder.  There are three resistors that you have to tie to +5v.  But the Instructions are very clear on which ones and how to do it.  You just need to melt the solder and pull one end out of the board, solder a single wire to all three (they are right next to each other) and solder the other end to +5v.

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...