IGNORED

Looking for tips/info for repairing Activision cartridge

xucaen

I have two kaboom! carts, one works great, the other doesn't work. The non-working one does various things when I turn it on. I have cleaned it, as I do with all my carts, but cleaning doesn't seem to help. Since this is an extra, I thought I'd take it apart and look at it to see if there is anything obvious wrong with it. I am looking for tips and advice on what to look for, and - this is the important one for me - I need to be able to take the cart apart without damaging the label. The label is actually in pretty good condition and I don't want to ruin it. I looked on youtube, but found nothing specific about repairing Activision carts or removing the label safely. I'm hoping I can get some tips and advice on how to go about this.

Kaboom.png.4ae4b03d087a5a0264e24f9e33af2611.png

Hair dryer worked! :D

Looking at the board, I see nothing obvious. I don't see any broken solder joints. Can the shield be removed without further damaging the chip? I don't suppose I could get a repro rom to practice my soldering skillz. :D

kaboom_label.png.7aa6f3723947aa93f9fc24cbcb9756d5.png

kaboom_pcb_front.png

kaboom_pcb_back.png

yes the metal shield is easily removed even with side cutters.  Try checking continuity from each edge connection pad to the chip pin.  You may get lucky and find a bad solder joint.

Kaboom is only 2K in size.  a 2716 could be programmed but you have to add a 74ls04 to invert A12 to use as CE on the new chip.  You also have to cut pad 20 free from 5V and ground it.

I took the shield off. I can't find any info about this chip on the web. The chip has 0782 written on it, so my guess is that this was a custom chip designed just for Activision. The wikipedia article for MOS Technology shows a list of chips they made, and they have a 2K chip called the 6540, so I suppose this could also be a variant of that... Ah well...  Here ends my exploration. I am no where near being able to burn a simple eprom, let alone being able to add a 74ls04 (hex inverter??). My Kaboom! is officially kaput! :D

Thank you for your reply. This has been a fun rabbit hole to explore. ;-)

Kaboom_rom.thumb.png.63f41bdb9a3a494c417e1e5cab7213ac.png

• 3 years later...