IGNORED

Tunnels of Doom Modern-Style Manual

Toucan

I've been meaning to post this. All this talk about the modern style Car Wars manual reminded me. Anyway, here it is in all its glory:

Says "Solid State Cartridge & Diskette" in the red area, which might not be visible in the pic.

tod.jpg

Edited by Toucan
  • Like 7

Man I love the art on these manuals.  Delighted (and surprised!) to see this one for the first time.  Also awesome: this version of the Hunt the Wumpus manual.  Might be my favourite, of those whose art is particular to the TI-99/4A (i.e., Star Trek, Buck Rogers, Moonsweeper and Fathom look great, but it's multi-platform art).  But now this ToD art is giving it a run for its money. 

• Like 1

Hmm, the modern-style manual looks different than the other modern TOD manual cover I saw. The one I saw was in a 2-color threshold(photocopy) and had stairs & stuff in the background. 

For the one here, looks like the artist who did Hunt the Wumpus made it. 

7 hours ago, S1500 said:

Hmm, the modern-style manual looks different than the other modern TOD manual cover I saw. The one I saw was in a 2-color threshold(photocopy) and had stairs & stuff in the background. 

For the one here, looks like the artist who did Hunt the Wumpus made it. 

Haha. Was going to say that the face of the guy with the sword and the person in Hunt the Wumpus looked similar. BTW, I believe the stairs are in the manual, that's what the guy in the background in standing on (you can sort of make them out behind the wizard).

Speaking of new manuals, which games never got an updated manual (one that we have never seen in print or in person)? The only ones that come to mind are Hustle and Hangman. Am I missing any others? When I say games, I mean the ones TI categorized with red labels (Hustle and Hangman never even got a label update, just the black/orange one colorized in red). Would have loved to have seen Hustle. I think they could have put some guys riding horses on there with a snake or 2.

• Like 2

On 1/24/2020 at 11:11 AM, adamantyr said:

Awesome! Damn I want that manual... It does look like the same artist did the cover for Hunt the Wumpus.

No physical copies of the manual have ever been seen though, so I presume the game was never released with it.

Oh so the Tunnels of Doom "Modern Style" manual in the OP was never actually released? I've certainly never seen it.

On 1/23/2020 at 6:57 PM, Toucan said:

Speaking of new manuals, which games never got an updated manual (one that we have never seen in print or in person)? The only ones that come to mind are Hustle and Hangman. Am I missing any others? When I say games, I mean the ones TI categorized with red labels (Hustle and Hangman never even got a label update, just the black/orange one colorized in red).

Fun discussion topic. In addition to the aforementioned Hustle and Hangman, others include Football, obviously Car Wars in the US market as discussed and referenced earlier (though it did get a small run of updated cart labels), Video Games 1, Indoor Soccer, and Blackjack and Poker (but it did get released towards the end with the newer-style plastic box - as did Hangman and Hustle). 

Connect Four and Tombstone City in the modern styling exist but they are tough to track down. 

1 hour ago, sixersfan105 said:

Oh so the Tunnels of Doom "Modern Style" manual in the OP was never actually released? I've certainly never seen it.

Yeah, who knows if it was even printed? The catalog may have been made using a mock-up, and then Christmas 1983 came along and they just cancelled everything.

IF manuals had been printed, they probably ended up in the dumpster. If any cartridges had been put out with the manuals, I'm pretty sure one would have turned up in a collection after 37 years.